Open diary but private feed?

Options
Saaski
Saaski Posts: 105 Member
I've been using mfp for a while but am only just starting to get into the community. I see boards for adding friends and open diaries...but then when I go to a profile it says the feed is private. Am I doing something wrong? (I've sent a few friend requests too, but I've no idea if I did them correctly.) Thanks!

Replies

• prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Bump

@prodigal6766 - If people don't want you to view their profile, they can set it to "Private."

This also means you can no longer send them a friend request. That is a newer thing, since 2018 when this question was first posted. I don't know if that was done intentionally - but that is what appears to happen when a profile is "Private." At least on the web version. Someone else may have more info on the app.
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How does one select private, or deselect it?
  • cmriverside
    edited November 2023
    Options

Go to your Profile (or "Home") and then Settings
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/settings

OR click your avatar up in the top right, and you'll see "Account and Privacy Settings"
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/account-privacy

I think any of those will work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Riverside is correct, as usual.

But if you want to make friends here, I don't recommend it. I accept friend requests, but when I see that (once we're friends) their feed is completely private, I wonder what the point is (for me), and suspect they may be a creeper. If it's a male profile - and I'm sad to say this, but it's based on experience - it seems very, very likely that they're a creeper, and I think it would be a good plan to unfriend them.

Maybe that's just me.
  • cmriverside
    edited November 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

But if you want to make friends here, I don't recommend it. I accept friend requests, but when I see that (once we're friends) their feed is completely private, I wonder what the point is (for me), and suspect they may be a creeper. If it's a male profile - and I'm sad to say this, but it's based on experience - it seems very, very likely that they're a creeper, and I think it would be a good plan to unfriend them.

Maybe that's just me.

Ann, did you know that your Profile is "Private" now?

I mean, mine is too...just wondered if you knew.

ihhas5qy5utk.png

• AnnPT77
    edited November 2023
    Options

Maybe that's just me.

ihhas5qy5utk.png

Weird. No, I did not know. Is my profile on the main part of MFP completely private? It shouldn't be.
  • cmriverside
    edited November 2023
    Options

Maybe that's just me.

ihhas5qy5utk.png

Weird. No, I did not know. Is my profile on the main part of MFP completely private? It shouldn't be.

Did you just change it?

When I posted that, that was as far as I could go - and it's been like that for a while...like maybe weeks? Not sure. I only thought of it again since you said what you said about Private feeds.

Now I can go to your Activity page and your actual Profile page. :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Maybe that's just me.

ihhas5qy5utk.png

Did you just change it?

When I posted that, that was as far as I could go - and it's been like that for a while...like maybe weeks? Not sure. I only thought of it again since you said what you said about Private feeds.

Now I can go to your Activity page and your actual Profile page. :)

Yes, I just changed it. Maybe I'll be sorry? There isn't much granularity in the settings, seems like . . . but I don't want to be completely shut down to others here. I'm not wanting to share everything with the world, but if I'm participating in the Community I don't want to hide everything, either. 🙄