Options
2»

Replies

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    @Sparkeysworld Yep - unfortunately, I have a first hand idea of where sleep deprivation can lead, from my uni years. However, nowadays the periods are relatively reduced in size, and to be frank I enjoy what I do, sleeplessness and everything.

That being said, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share all the information you provided (which I will read after I deliver, heh). While I figured sleep deprivation is not ideal, the conclusions speak for themselves. And something tells me that popping a vitamin or two and eating enough (and clean) will not reverse the effects. Alas, one has to try.

Try to catch up with as much sleep as possible when you can, Melatonin at 3-5mg 30 mins before bed is a great help if you actually find it difficult to sleep (which I doubt, but I thought I'd mention it).

Melatonin - yes! That's good advice, although lately I sleep like a rock. Sometimes I make a lavender tea before bed. I also got myself a bottle of 5-HTP last week with the purpose of stress mitigation but forgot to „attack” it yet.

My wife tried 5-HTP but it did nothing for her, I hope it works for you.

I'm not an excited fan of supplements, except vitamins, so I don't have any expectations apart from a mild placebo effect. In the same way, I don't feel like I need to try BCAA or protein powders, unless I decide to get serious with lifting and dietary protein fails to keep up.

Trying to hit all my macros and micros from foods, preferably as non-fuss as possible. I've restricted carbs for the last months, not because of magic bullet expectations but because it feels much, MUCH better, and I am otherwise an uncontrollable monster when I get a taste of bread and croissants, so those are off the table completely (5C/65-70F/25-30P). I'm a cold turkey quit kinda gal.

@btente - I get the sense we both know the theory inside and out, but when push comes to shove, we're stuck with awareness and eating up the latest good series :smiley:
  • SabAteNine
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    Insomniac and PhD student here. I'm currently in this situation, and will be for the next week at least (why am I on MFP?! back to work soon...). I eat at a deficit if I can, but I'm trying not to stress about being at maintenance if that's what I need. I managed to fit in a run the other day, which actually really helped with stress and of course gave me a few extra calories. Totally understandable if you can't do that, of course. I don't really see it as 'cheating'...sometimes you have to prioritise, and it's probably mentally a lot better to allow yourself a bit of extra nourishment. Do what you can, try to incorporate veg into your daily goal (makes me feel a lot better), and make small choices where you can - but don't stress yourself out about it. Best of luck with your project!!

Thank you! Don't even remind me of the PhD, I'm absolutely behind (aka nothing in writing and everything in my head) with a little over a year left. So I totally understand - and really appreciate the reply. Good luck with your doctorate, and keep safe and sane! :blush:

PS - It's 1:30 AM here and I am wondering the same about being on MFP :smiley:
  • SabAteNine
    Options
    HowUdish wrote: »
    If you want to maintain the diet you set for yourself and don't have time to cook, download the HowUdish app. Input your diet into the app and it shows you dishes at restaurants that serve food to meet those needs. For example, if you follow a high protein, low carb diet, it will show you the dishes at local restaurants that are high protein and low carb.

Oh hi, spam. Where's the fun in being spoon-fed options? I like the hard, do-it-yourself way. But please, do show me dishes at the restaurants in Bucharest which are whatever you say they are. Not even the Fork has anything on here.