Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    So you're trying to recomp at maintenance calories and asking if you can eat ice cream? If you're training properly with a progressive overload and getting adequate protein, yes.

What is eating clean? Just, no.

Thanks. I joined in 2018 so just learning my way through. Lost about 18 pounds and now I am skinny fat and need to focus on recomp.

I have always heard about Uber fit people (i.e the rock) getting cut by never eating candy, pastries, ice cream, etc so I have been curious if I need to become that crazy to be toned. I have cleaned up my diet - no eating out, limited salt, limited white carbs, tons of fruits, etc but ice cream is the love of my food life and I can’t give it up.

Glad to hear that I don’t have to.

The Rock eats like a gazillion calories per day...I can guarantee you that they're not all "clean" and whatnot. I'd be bloated as all hell.

Beyond that, he's an elite level of leanness...and yes, to maintain that the average person will probably have to be pretty strict with things...but that's a pretty elite body composition. I know plenty of people who are lean and fit and well defined and go about their normal lives who look fantastic, but are by no means in the territory of elite body aesthetics.

ETA: I do know a couple of people who are physique competitors...they eat really well, but training is also basically their life, especially in season. They don't maintain competition physiques year around though because it's really frigin' hard and you pretty much have to dedicate everything to it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    So you're trying to recomp at maintenance calories and asking if you can eat ice cream? If you're training properly with a progressive overload and getting adequate protein, yes.

What is eating clean? Just, no.

Thanks. I joined in 2018 so just learning my way through. Lost about 18 pounds and now I am skinny fat and need to focus on recomp.

I have always heard about Uber fit people (i.e the rock) getting cut by never eating candy, pastries, ice cream, etc so I have been curious if I need to become that crazy to be toned. I have cleaned up my diet - no eating out, limited salt, limited white carbs, tons of fruits, etc but ice cream is the love of my food life and I can’t give it up.

Glad to hear that I don’t have to.

The Rock eats like a gazillion calories per day...I can guarantee you that they're not all "clean" and whatnot. I'd be bloated as all hell.

Beyond that, he's an elite level of leanness...and yes, to maintain that the average person will probably have to be pretty strict with things...but that's a pretty elite body composition. I know plenty of people who are lean and fit and well defined and go about their normal lives who look fantastic, but are by no means in the territory of elite body aesthetics.

ETA: I do know a couple of people who are physique competitors...they eat really well, but training is also basically their life, especially in season. They don't maintain competition physiques year around though because it's really frigin' hard and you pretty much have to dedicate everything to it.

I also wonder if the Rock juices? When I say "juices" not in a blender. If he does, he could eat a gillion calories a day! He also has how many extra pounds of lean mass? wow!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,871 Member
    Options
    Yup. Halo top. Awesome.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I don't care to answer the question, but its inspired me to eat ice cream immediately.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a quarter cup of ice cream almost every day since I've been on MFP - almost six years. It is my fourth meal and the fat keeps me from getting hungry.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. Go for it and enjoy.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yup. Halo top. Awesome.

I wouldn't do this every day, has some interesting side effects. :o
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,871 Member
    Options
    Yup. Halo top. Awesome.

I haven’t noticed any. It beats Arctic whatever hands down. Yasso frozen yogurt pops are also really good! Just call me an addict. And I think the halo top cal counts are pretty accurate
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yup. Halo top. Awesome.

I haven’t noticed any. It beats Arctic whatever hands down. Yasso frozen yogurt pops are also really good! Just call me an addict. And I think the halo top cal counts are pretty accurate

I tried Halo Top and I liked the sea salt caramel, though I thought it was screaming for pecans, but I didn't care for the price and thought it was almost as good, but not quite. I can make some regular ice cream fit, have a lot more variety and while the servings are smaller, I pay a whole lot less per serving. And real ice cream tastes better; Halo Top is pretty good, but not quite the same.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Yup. Halo top. Awesome.

Only if you're susceptible to the side effects. Many are acclimated, or have become acclimated.