Random compliments from strangers

Options
triciab79
triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
There are a lot of very attractive women on this site, and you all are a particularly chatty group too, so this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question. I am quite accustom to giving and receiving complements online with people I do not know but not strangers in the real world. I am not talking about cat calls on the street or men trying to pick you up in the bar, I mean going about your business at the grocery store and some random guy comes up and compliments you (not hey, baby nice *kitten* but more genuine compliment) . How do you handle it? Is it just a thank you, or do you try to compliment back? Does it creep you out, flatter you, maybe a little bit of both?

Replies

• jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    A genuine smile and a thank you work just fine. I used to have a hard time receiving compliments but then I realized that it's an insult to the person complimenting me if I "reject" their compliment so to speak. Besides it's good for the self esteem and if they're brave enough to tell me I have a nice smile or pretty eyes etc who am I to argue? You have beautiful hair btw-compliment post notwithstanding.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    People occasionally tell me I'm handsome. (Mostly old ladies :-/ )

My standard response is: "Thank you."

Because really what else is there to say? ...unless you're interested.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I hate getting compliments from strangers. I don't know why but I suppose it's because then I have to interact with them and that makes me really uncomfortable. When I'm out and about I usually have headphones on so people generally don't bother me.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hey Tricia, nice butt!
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    WHOA! WAIT! WHAT?!? I'm Way too shy to give a receive compliments out in the open like that. Just laying it out there? No way.

I will normally just follow the person home. I'll tape my compliment along with a headless nude photo of myself to a brick and throw it thru the bedroom window while they sleep!
  • triciab79
    Options
    Hey Tricia, nice butt!

You can get away with that. :wink:
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I get a lot about my hair, and it makes my day. People that have to tell me they love the colors I have, or that my make up is nice, makes me feel nice about myself. If I see someone that has a really nice dress, shoes, shirt, anything, I will let them know that I think its pretty and I like it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You can get away with that. :wink:

Damn right I can. :wink:

:smooched:
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    WHOA! WAIT! WHAT?!? I'm Way too shy to give a receive compliments out in the open like that. Just laying it out there? No way.

I will normally just follow the person home. I'll tape my compliment along with a headless nude photo of myself to a brick and throw it thru the bedroom window while they sleep!

Those are the BEST kind of compliments! Stalkergrams :)
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    honestly I have never had a random person come up and compliment me....so I have no answer for you. But you have a very stunning face and gorgeous hair, so I am not surprised you have compliments from strangers. Probably daily :smile:
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The only compliments I ever get are from elderly ladies about my blouses...

then I go home and burn them.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options

LOL--I had a 20 year old girl tell me today that her mom had the same skirt I was wearing. I think I wont be wearing that one anymore.
  • triciab79
    Options
    A genuine smile and a thank you work just fine. I used to have a hard time receiving compliments but then I realized that it's an insult to the person complimenting me if I "reject" their compliment so to speak. Besides it's good for the self esteem and if they're brave enough to tell me I have a nice smile or pretty eyes etc who am I to argue? You have beautiful hair btw-compliment post notwithstanding.

See that is what I am trying to avoid. I don't want to look ungrateful but its really awkward too. I genuinely admire the amount of confidence it must take to walk up to a complete stranger and put themselves out there. Females are easy for me, I just compliment back in some way but men I am almost a bit afraid to compliment back because I worry it will seem like I am hitting on them.
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get told nice hair/color and nice eyes. Most of the time it is not creepy. With genuine surprise in my voice I say thank you.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say thank you. I was trying on a pair of jeans the other day and had gone out to show my husband, I then went back in the dressing room and one lady back there told me they looked good on me. Sometimes it is awkward but it is also nice to hear a compliment now and again.
  • triciab79
    Options
    honestly I have never had a random person come up and compliment me....so I have no answer for you. But you have a very stunning face and gorgeous hair, so I am not surprised you have compliments from strangers. Probably daily :smile:

If you are not getting compliments regularly the population of Billings MT needs a new optician :flowerforyou:
  • triciab79
    Options

Fashion is a circle, it all comes back around. You will forever be burning blouses until someday you are telling some young thing her blouse is pretty and she will go home and burn it and the cycle will repeat. :happy:
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful! The accomplishment you have done with your weight loss is awesome! Getting used to complements by men will take time to get used to.

You will learn that it is ok to accept even if they are hitting on you! Just say thank you and move on down the isle. Unless you want to flirt then by all means flirt! ; )
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love getting compliments! I smile and say thank you :)
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say thank you.