Dunkin Donuts and the Swirl/Shot Conundrum

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They got rid of some of the shots too.

Also, my friend who works at DD told me it's 2 pumps for a small, 3 for a medium, 4 for a large, so you can ask them to put just one or two instead.

Unfortunately I don't really care for their black coffee so I often end up getting more calories in my drink when I go there (they're all over here too).

I like Starbucks better honestly, plus you put your own sugar and cream in, so you have more control.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    We don't have Dunkin Donuts here. At least not anywhere near Manitoba but we have several Tim Hortons. For several years my Timmies standard was med 2 cream, 1 sugar. Then as I started calorie reducing I managed to wean myself to med 2 cream. So it's all good now and my new go to standard.

About a month ago I pulled up to the drive thru, ordered a med. 2 cream, and pulled up to the pick up window. The girl goes "2 cream, 1 sugar". I said "sorry, but I ordered 2 cream." (we totally apologize for everything in Canada regardless if we are at fault by the way)

She checked her screen and goes "oh I have 2 cream, 1 sugar but I must have punched it in wrong. I will get a 2 cream." I thanked her, paid and drove away. After I drove away I started to think that I may out of habit ordered the 2 cream, 1 sugar it out thinking. Ooops! I felt bad for being wasteful and making her possibly take the blame. But my coffee was dam good!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here, that if I am going to spend macros on a donut, wants Krispy Kreme?
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here, that if I am going to spend macros on a donut, wants Krispy Kreme?

The only time I've ever enjoyed a KK is when it is less than a minute off the conveyor belt. Other than that it's been a greasy flavorless lump to me. I'm from the NE (USA) and grew up with Dunkin so that's my idea of a donut.

And those donuts are the reason I don't go into Dunkin any more -- the aroma of those donuts bids fair to override any good sense I have and make me leave with a box of Munchkins instead of a coffee.
  • psychod787
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »

The only time I've ever enjoyed a KK is when it is less than a minute off the conveyor belt. Other than that it's been a greasy flavorless lump to me. I'm from the NE (USA) and grew up with Dunkin so that's my idea of a donut.

And those donuts are the reason I don't go into Dunkin any more -- the aroma of those donuts bids fair to override any good sense I have and make me leave with a box of Munchkins instead of a coffee.

Thats why you have to go when the "HOT" sign is on! I am born and raised in the SE. I did not know what a dunkin donuts was until my late teens when they started to come in.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is there are 3 DD's within only a few miles where I live and I detest the place lol :neutral:

I feel that way about Starbucks. My city is SMALL and we have 11 Starbucks, thirteen if you count smaller ones in a university and in a hospital.

Some of these answers are making me feel whiny for saying how sad I was that Dunkin is 40 minutes from me. I go there all of the time, and will go later today! haha
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Can you ask them to give you the flavor shot "on the side" so you can add it yourself? That way you can control the amount? I do that with my coffee. I get it black, add my packet of Sweet N Low, then take it to work and add my own creamer (via measuring spoon) so I KNOW for sure what I'm ingesting is accurate. I know it seems anal and complicated, but its really just one extra step of adding the creamer myself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

But I feel it differently. I like my latte plain and nonfat: Coffee and skimmed milk, that's all.

Way too many places are simply unable to absorb or accept the idea that anyone could want a latte without some sweet flavory gunk in it, so they put it in anyway by reflex (usually vanilla syrup).

I hate sweet hot coffee. Grrr. This is not hard: Coffee, skimmed milk.

If I catch it before I hit the road, I'll ask for a remake . . . politely, to maintain my rep as a sweet li'l ol' lady (mostly). ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

But I feel it differently. I like my latte plain and nonfat: Coffee and skimmed milk, that's all.

Way too many places are simply unable to absorb or accept the idea that anyone could want a latte without some sweet flavory gunk in it, so they put it in anyway by reflex (usually vanilla syrup).

If I catch it before I hit the road, I'll ask for a remake . . . politely, to maintain my rep as a sweet li'l ol' lady (mostly). ;)

I can imagine! I hate mayo with the fire of a thousand suns. When I get a sandwich at a deli, I like a lot of tomato to make it juicy. They always repeat, like they can't understand, "Um, no mayo? Are you sure? Do you want some dressing on it? Or butter maybe?" And I say, no just extra tomato please. And they look at me like maybe it's an undercover sting or something!

I also like hot coffee with just a little milk or maybe cream in it. But iced coffee I like with a little somethin' somethin'. :drinker:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    That is why I always order black with the milk on the side because the flavor shots are not sweetened so I taste it to make sure its not sweetened.

I used to work for starbucks and my co workers would regularly give some people the non SF syrups or regular milk instead of skim etc. I even had one obese coworker who purposely always gave real sugared syrups to skinny girls ordering the SF beverages. I thought it was terrible, what if they had diabetes or something? The manager didn't care, she thought it was funny.

:astonished: That's awful. When we allow other people to prepare our food and drink, we really do have to trust their intentions are good and keep our fingers crossed!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

I can imagine! I hate mayo with the fire of a thousand suns. When I get a sandwich at a deli, I like a lot of tomato to make it juicy. They always repeat, like they can't understand, "Um, no mayo? Are you sure? Do you want some dressing on it? Or butter maybe?" And I say, no just extra tomato please. And they look at me like maybe it's an undercover sting or something!

I also like hot coffee with just a little milk or maybe cream in it. But iced coffee I like with a little somethin' somethin'. :drinker:

If "somethin' somethin'" is Kahlua or amaretto, I'm in. ;)

Seriously: On the rare, rare occasion I drink iced coffee, I do like just a touch of vanilla syrup in it - real sugar type, please! ;)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That is why I always order black with the milk on the side because the flavor shots are not sweetened so I taste it to make sure its not sweetened.

I used to work for starbucks and my co workers would regularly give some people the non SF syrups or regular milk instead of skim etc. I even had one obese coworker who purposely always gave real sugared syrups to skinny girls ordering the SF beverages. I thought it was terrible, what if they had diabetes or something? The manager didn't care, she thought it was funny.

You're not the only one with that experience. I knew people who worked at Starbucks where they had co-workers do the same thing. It's awful to mess with someone's food like that, especially because there could be medical issues that aren't being respected.

With Dunkin Donuts, I agree most of their stuff is pretty bad. I live in Chicago and within a 1 mile radius of my apartment, I can think of at least 5 Dunkins. They have a very precise assembly line type work environment, so I imagine there is a lack of communication between the cashier and the person making it, hence the added swirl.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

I feel the same about sweet coffee (whether hot or not), but I don't run into the sweetening problem on lattes. But the folks at McDonalds don't seem to be able to imagine anyone wanting iced coffee without syrup of some kind (I have it either with or without cream, depending on my mood and calorie situation).

My standard method of ordering is to repeat about three time that I want it unsweetened. "Not sweetened. No syrup. Not even the unflavored sweetener. Just coffee and ice. (or coffee, ice, and cream)." Then I go hover at the counter nearest the coffee station and try to guess when my order has come up, and I point out to the employee that it's not supposed to have syrup in it. If I don't manage to do that last step, I'd say that the large majority of the times, they put syrup in it.

If while I'm ordering, the person at the register hesitates, I use that as an excuse to call the shift manager over, and I ask very sweetly, and repeatedly saying I don't have a problem with the employee on the register, but it just seems to be something nobody is told how to do, and could you please show him/her how to ring up an iced coffee with no syrup. Because I will have them remake it if they get it wrong. No way am I drinking a coffee with sugar mucking up the beautiful bitter notes of my coffee.

I finally learned to drink my hot coffee black one year when I gave up dairy on Fridays during Lent, and discovered that the non-dairy milks at most coffee shops were too sweet.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options

I live in MA and there's a dunkin every 100 feet I swear. I personally dislike their coffee but.... KK did try to come here and didn't last long at all, they could not compete with dunks here. As for the aroma, do they still bake the donuts where you are? They were so good when they were baked fresh in each store but here, they are all precooked and shipped in. It's nowhere near the quality they used to be. Thankfully. Donuts are a weakness for me.

As for incorrect orders, I tried to order a lowfat blieberry muffin at a DD once. First she gave me a bagel, then a bagel with lowfat cream cheese, then some other thing, could not comprehend lowfat blueberry muffin. While this was going on, the guy next to me got the last one from another employee. I just walked out shaking my head in disbelief. How hard of an order is that. Imagine if I tried to order a coffee from this person? Lol
  • psychod787
    Options
    I feel your pain.

I feel the same about sweet coffee (whether hot or not), but I don't run into the sweetening problem on lattes. But the folks at McDonalds don't seem to be able to imagine anyone wanting iced coffee without syrup of some kind (I have it either with or without cream, depending on my mood and calorie situation).

My standard method of ordering is to repeat about three time that I want it unsweetened. "Not sweetened. No syrup. Not even the unflavored sweetener. Just coffee and ice. (or coffee, ice, and cream)." Then I go hover at the counter nearest the coffee station and try to guess when my order has come up, and I point out to the employee that it's not supposed to have syrup in it. If I don't manage to do that last step, I'd say that the large majority of the times, they put syrup in it.

If while I'm ordering, the person at the register hesitates, I use that as an excuse to call the shift manager over, and I ask very sweetly, and repeatedly saying I don't have a problem with the employee on the register, but it just seems to be something nobody is told how to do, and could you please show him/her how to ring up an iced coffee with no syrup. Because I will have them remake it if they get it wrong. No way am I drinking a coffee with sugar mucking up the beautiful bitter notes of my coffee.

I finally learned to drink my hot coffee black one year when I gave up dairy on Fridays during Lent, and discovered that the non-dairy milks at most coffee shops were too sweet.

That's odd. On the rare occasion that I go to "Dunkies", I order a black iced coffee plain, and they never put anything in it. I tend to make my own ice coffee now. A cheap french press and some espresso grinds. They never make their coffee strong enough for me. If I am not jittery after a cup, its not strong enough!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Have never been in one. IMO, don't feel as though I'm missing anything.

But seriously if you don't like the way the item is prepared, after you gave specific instructions, don't take it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I think Krispy Kremes are the most overrated donut that ever did donut. Nothing at all special about them to me. I rank them right up there on the overrated scale with Starbucks' nasty, bitter, over-roasted coffee (I don't drink their fancy chocomochalattechaifrappuchinos).

We're getting a Dunkin Donuts in our town soon. I love their coffee, used to buy it in the big bags at Costco until they got a little too proud of it price-wise. As far as donuts, I'd take a DD donut over a Krispy Kreme any day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I live in MA and there's a dunkin every 100 feet I swear. I personally dislike their coffee but.... KK did try to come here and didn't last long at all, they could not compete with dunks here. As for the aroma, do they still bake the donuts where you are? They were so good when they were baked fresh in each store but here, they are all precooked and shipped in. It's nowhere near the quality they used to be. Thankfully. Donuts are a weakness for me.

As for incorrect orders, I tried to order a lowfat blieberry muffin at a DD once. First she gave me a bagel, then a bagel with lowfat cream cheese, then some other thing, could not comprehend lowfat blueberry muffin. While this was going on, the guy next to me got the last one from another employee. I just walked out shaking my head in disbelief. How hard of an order is that. Imagine if I tried to order a coffee from this person? Lol

FWIW the low fat blueberry muffin had 450 calories, and the regular one 460, lol. I don't think they sell the low fat one anymore.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

FWIW the low fat blueberry muffin had 450 calories, and the regular one 460, lol. I don't think they sell the low fat one anymore.

This was a long, long time ago, way before I was counting calories and paid attention to that stuff. I had been out on the road for a long time and just popped in to grab something quick. Not really the point anyway. She tried to give me 4-5 different things first because she couldn't understand me. It was more to the point of incorrect orders.