Dunkin Donuts and the Swirl/Shot Conundrum

Options
13»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Closest DD to me, 4 hours and 3 minutes, 243 miles. Needless to say, I have never had DD. And I do feel deprived about that.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that. I pass 3 of them on my way to work and there's a 4th about 1/2 mile up the road from my office. They're everywhere around here.

i have one in my office building!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Large, black coffee, no cream or sugar. Tasty and very low in calories. I don't have to worry if they are putting shots/swirls/twirls/soymochawhiplatte stuff.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here, that if I am going to spend macros on a donut, wants Krispy Kreme?

The only time I've ever enjoyed a KK is when it is less than a minute off the conveyor belt. Other than that it's been a greasy flavorless lump to me. I'm from the NE (USA) and grew up with Dunkin so that's my idea of a donut.

And those donuts are the reason I don't go into Dunkin any more -- the aroma of those donuts bids fair to override any good sense I have and make me leave with a box of Munchkins instead of a coffee.

Thats why you have to go when the "HOT" sign is on! I am born and raised in the SE. I did not know what a dunkin donuts was until my late teens when they started to come in.

First time I had KK I was living in Albuquerque and they got their very first KK shop in . . . I want to say 2002? 2003? Anyway, there was great hullabaloo about it and the lines when the "HOT" sign was on were horrific. I waited a couple of months for the noise to die down before I went for the first time. Gotta admit that the conveyor belt view was fun to watch, and the really fresh donuts were very good. When my office would bring in boxes of KK for a treat they'd been sitting in boxes for an hour or more, and were cold, flat-tasting and just not worth eating, IMHO.

I'm sure the aroma in the Dunkin shops these days isn't the real thing, but it's still pure trigger for me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I get a DD coffee as my second coffee of the day so it's skim milk and splenda (I know, yuck). But I wonder how much skim milk they're putting in there because it is pretty light.

I'm kind of intrigued by the flavor shot. Say a shot and not a swirl? or one pump?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I get a DD coffee as my second coffee of the day so it's skim milk and splenda (I know, yuck). But I wonder how much skim milk they're putting in there because it is pretty light.

I'm kind of intrigued by the flavor shot. Say a shot and not a swirl? or one pump?

The pump is for the swirls. I say a shot and not a swirl. I do find it works better when I go inside and look them in the eye :lol:.

I find I like the shots better when I get it with whole milk or some artificial sweetener. I've gotten an iced coffee with skim and a shot and it actually seemed to make the coffee more bitter! I think the flavor shot needs a little fat or sweetener to "smooth" it out. So don't skip the Splenda if you do try a shot!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I got a bunch of fun and informative responses before folks who chose to ignore the humor in my post decided to chime in :lol:

I have never actually seen a KK location anywhere I've lived, just the boxed doughnuts in the grocery which were not impressive. I think ANY doughnut hot out of the fryer would be superior, but sometimes one needs one's fried dough to travel well. Of course, I wasn't posting about doughnuts - I rarely get a donut at DD, I just get coffee! Does KK sell coffee?

I routinely make my morning coffee (or tea, when the mood strikes) at home - no sweetener, a couple of TBL of 2% milk. As I said in my OP, I just like to treat myself to "fancy" coffee and have someone else make it for me every once and awhile. Yesterday on my way home from an Easter morning hike I did get an iced coffee (successfully with a shot, not a swirl) and a glazed chocolate cake donut. It was delightful :drinker: