How do you choose the right exercise program?

Options
Hello there.

I am so very lost. Somedays I feel like I am doing well, then I come here and read in the forums and realize I really don’t have a clue what I’m doing. I can not afford a trainer at this point in my life. Can anybody point me to some good reads/information about how I can find the right program for me?

Thank you for your time!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • steph_is_happy
    steph_is_happy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am a 32 yo female looking to lose 2lbs per week while retaining as much muscle as possible. I’d like to lose between 90-110 lbs.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My local community centre gym offers up to three free sessions with a trainer. I took advantage of a session to set me on track with a basic strength training program I can stick with. Maybe call around and see if your city offers anything similar?
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I see lots of women here that speak highly if Strong Curves. I would try to get a session with coach/trainer just to learn the lifts properly if possible.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think the key is to keep two things in mind: 1) exercise is not necessary for weight loss, and 2) anything that is more active than what you're doing right now counts as a workout. So focus on your diet for the weight-loss, and start trying to push yourself a little bit each week or so to increase your activity level just a bit. It's also going to be a good idea to start looking into strength training. You've got a lot of options depending on your resources: body weight workouts are a great place to start if you don't have spare cash at the moment. The stickies here and in the bodybuilding forum are good places to start.

If you stick to it, you'll be surprised how far you can go in just a few months. Last summer I upped my activity by walking just ten minutes at a time several times through the day. Now I'm lifting weights for an hour three times a week, doing cardio videos or running for a half hour 3-4 times a week, and stretching almost every night. Remember, there's no exercise program that's perfect for everyone. You need to find something that you will keep doing, and finding something you enjoy and doesn't make you feel horrible is a big help.

ETA: I'm a 34 year old woman who started off with about 70 pounds to lose, so we're not too far off stat-wise. I've never lost quite that quickly, but after 15 months I'm down to my last 20 to go, so it absolutely is possible. Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to preserve as much muscle as possible, look into strength training. I started with stronglifts 5x5, but there are other beginner programs. Learn the lifts and progress as you build strength. You can add cardio in on your non lifting days. Find something you like.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is finding something you enjoy.
    I despise running, so a program that’s heavy with running (like Couch to 5K) isn’t sustainable for me. I’ve also discovered that I’m not successful with the “at home” workouts because it’s too easy for me to quit halfway through. Going to a gym almost forces me to power through when at home I’d just call it quits.
    It’ll likely take some trial and error to find something you enjoy and is sustainable and that’s okay.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The best workout routine for you is the one you enjoy, will consistently do, and will continue to do - and is consistent with whatever your goals are. Ideally, it will be some reasonable combination of strength training and cardio, because both modalities have benefits for overall health/fitness.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    ^ This is an excellent thread which lists many different strength training routines from beginner to advanced. All those routines were professionally developed by people who know what they're doing when it comes to workout programming, and it's a good idea to use such a program rather than cooking up your own. A lot of people try to cobble their own routines together without any knowledge of proper programming, and end up doing nothing other than spinning their wheels and wasting hours in the gym wondering why they're not getting results.

As for cardio, there are a ton of different possibilities. Choose something you enjoy (or at least can tolerate), start off slow and gradually increase your intensity.

Arguably the most important elements of a successful workout routine are consistency and patience. Results take time and you have to put the work in. As the saying goes, "Don't complain about the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am a 32 yo female looking to lose 2lbs per week while retaining as much muscle as possible. I’d like to lose between 90-110 lbs.

Lift some stuff, do a bit of cardio that you enjoy
  • steph_is_happy
    steph_is_happy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for taking your time and posting on my thread. I’m only 8 weeks in, and I’ve learned more about how to live a healthy lifestyle by reading and practicing than I have my whole life! My only regret is that I didn’t take control sooner. Ive always been a fad dieter because that’s what I was taught. I lost 110 lbs in 2011 on a very low carb diet (never felt worse in my life) and then gained 100 of it back over the course of 6 years because I went right back to what I always knew... Now, I’m learning how to cook and prepare healthier foods more often. It’s a process, and I’m still messing up occasionally but I have a dream that I’ll never lose sight of. I dream of being truly healthy. Thank you all so much
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    MFP is a good read, IF you know who to listen to. Most of the advice here is fairly reasonable... some is pretty close-minded, some is pretty far fetched. But by in large, there's good info on MFP, the trick is applying to your situation.

As for picking the right program/routine... it's based on your goals and, in most cases, what you are most apt to do and to stick with. Heavy barbell lifting is great, but it's a terrible recommendation for someone who doesn't have access to the equipment needed to lift that way. HIIT is great, but it's a terrible recommendation for someone severely overweight who is new to exercise. See what I'm getting at?

Based on your stated goals... A reasonable calorie deficit for the weight loss, sufficient protein intake and some higher intensity exercise to help with muscle retention. Lifting is the easiest and most-often recommended type of exercise for muscle preservation, but it's certainly not the only way.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can't agree enough with previous posters, about both diet and exercise. You could see improvements by eating a diet you don't enjoy and doing crazy exercises you don't enjoy ... but that would never last. As much of a cliche as it is, the best exercise program is the one you'll actually do. If you enjoy walking, walk. Maybe that will be a gateway to running. Maybe not. Zumba, cardio machines, spin, other classes, the list of possibilities is endless. Try 'em out until you find something you want to keep doing, then keep doing it.

You mention that you're gradually making changes to your diet, and that's where it's at, too. Be well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here's a good run down of various lifting programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Do some lifting...mix in some cardio.