Coffee!

kheard2017
kheard2017 Posts: 2 Member
I love my coffee with tons of milk and sugar. I’m slowly trying to learn to love it without the sugar, but I’m open to new ideas! Anyone have a healthy coffee drink they love? And what do you order at the chains like Starbucks?

Replies

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I've never liked sweetened coffee, but I use lots of Splenda in other things.

I love Starbucks, too. I always order a trente black iced tea with no sweetener. I use that as an inducement to exercise (I can have an iced tea if I work out that day.) It's cheaper than their coffee and something like 5 calories. If it's a cold day I might have hot tea instead, but I really like my tea cold.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Have you tried putting hot chocolate mix in your coffee? I usually drink my coffee black so idk if it’d be sweet enough for you, but to me it essentially mimics the flavor of a mocha. And the hot chocolate mix I currently have is 140 cal for a 1/4 cup serving and I use significantly less than that when I make it.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    I drink my morning coffee black, but I put protein powder in my iced coffee that I drink in the afternoons before a workout. The powder that I use (various flavors of Trutein) is sweet and that plus milk makes it feel like a treat. I'm too lazy to do this often, but if I blend it all up with ice it reminds me a lot of those frappes from coffee places. Plus the extra protein boost helps me meet my macros.
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    If you like iced coffee you might want to try Nitro cold brew. You should be able to get it at most Starbucks and little coffee chains. It's a little more expensive than regular iced coffee but it's delicious and all bubbly from being infused with nitrogen. It sounds like weird wizardry, but the nitrogen takes away all of the bitterness and it makes it naturally sweet and creamy so it's much better tasting black and also 0 calories! The nitrogen also increases the caffeine content though so just be careful not to drink it too late in the day unless you want to pull an all nighter! ;)
  • Sammi1244
    Sammi1244 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    I used to also use lots of cream and sugar in my coffee. I started using a tablespoon of whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. It's about 60 calories per serving. This was a really good way for me to stop using lots of cream and sugar. Now, when I try it with cream and sugar it's way too sweet. Hope this helps
  • SkylarSkinnyMFP
    SkylarSkinnyMFP Posts: 2 Member
    Make iced coffee w/ unsweetened almond milk, 5 cals and so refreshing
  • kerrbear2017
    kerrbear2017 Posts: 2 Member
    I have been using Balinese cacao powder instead of cocoa powder in my coffee. Sometimes I add a tbsp. of coconut oil. Usually as a sweetener I will use either stevia or Splenda. Today I was out so I used 2 tsp of brown sugar. I prefer to add unsweetened almond milk instead of drinking it black, but sometimes I will if I feel like I need to cut calories or if there is no milk haha! Oh yeah, and I alternate between coffee and green tea. I like Stash Chai Green or Green tea with mint. I don't really like just plain green by itself because of the taste.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm a black coffee person but once in awhile I'll wind up at Starbucks and don't care for their coffee much, so I order a skinny vanilla latte. I don't honestly trust them to always make it "correctly" so it sometimes tastes a lot more rich and I know they probably put whole milk in, or whatever. I'd be a lot more worried about it if I was getting these regularly. Anyway, I think the skinny vanilla latte is pretty delicious especially if you're not coming straight from the "regular" version (years ago when I tried the skinny, I was a latte/mocha person and could taste the difference immediately). HOWEVER, I tried their "skinny mocha" and hated it. Maybe that's just me!
  • 513emilyruth
    513emilyruth Posts: 1 Member
    Try this!
    Venti iced blonde Americano (Starbucks)
    3 pumps of sugar free vanilla
    3 pumps of sugar free vanilla

Double blended to make it like a frap or you can get it hot

I haven’t tried it yet but it’s only like 30 calories
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    If you do drip coffee at home, add cinnamon sticks to the carafe. It will add some flavor and sweetness without you having to add as much cover up.

I only like black coffee if it's as a pour over because I love flavor.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You need to wean off of sugar slowly. Milk has some natural sugar so you don't want to discount that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    When I met my wife 18 years ago, she introduced me to good coffee...I quickly figured out that good quality coffee doesn't really need anything. I prefer a medium roast...I'll cut a dark roast with a splash of 1/2 and 1/2.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I bought a latte machine on amazon and use fat free milk and 0 calorie syrups. Two cups end up being under 100 calories.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    I use honey and organic cream in my coffee.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited April 2018
    I would scale back slowly on one or the other first. Originally I only drank coffee with lots of milk and sugar, but I've grown to appreciate it with just a bit of half-n-half and no sugar, or with Stevia. I personally don't notice much of a difference between sugar and Stevia in coffee, but YMMV. I use more milk if there's no sweetener whatsoever. My morning mug is 44 calories (40 calories for the 2 tbs of half-n-half, and 4 calories from the coffee itself). It helps to have good quality coffee, freshly ground and strong imho.
  • xcel2145
    xcel2145 Posts: 6 Member
    Im the same way! I had to wean myself off sweet coffee gradually. Now i just use a tablespoon of carmel creamer and no sugar. Love it like this now!
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    espresso! try to get coffee that is not too bitter, and its a great way of learning to love it. Made right it's full and velvet smooth.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    I like mine black sometimes, but often with cream and no sugar, but I drink a lot of it, so I'm trying to like it black more often. I find I like to make it a little weaker when it's black. I add a little hot water to mellow it out and it is much easier to drink than the really strong stuff I used to make.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    100% agree that freshly ground makes all the difference - are you making espresso or using an Americano-style machine? Or a french press or using italian stovetop - they'll all make a difference. Try different brew methods to see if that helps.

A small amount of frothed skim milk is the way to go for me - or you could try a creamer - usually around 6o kj (kj not cal) for a serve - totally worth it for me!