Coffee!

Options

Replies

• kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee lover too. Ground coffee, whole beans, light, dark, medium. You name it, I'll drink it. Don't often drink it black though. I don't use any sugar and for cream I use a low calorie creamer, land-o-lakes or something similar, that is about 20 cal per serving. If not that I use a powder creamer which, depending on the brand, can have 0 calories. I really love my coffee, especially waking up to the smell.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My first cup of coffee of the day is very important to me. I have a nespresso machine and milk frother. I make a fat free cappuccino with skim milk and either teaspoon of sugar free vanilla syrup or honey added to coffee.

I agree with above suggestions, buy the best type of coffee and coffee machine you can and slowly make changes to the amount of cream and sugar. I think most people add a lot of stuff because the coffee is either stale, cheap or bitter and needs a lot of junk to make it taste better.
  • FJlove4life
    FJlove4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream and 2 packets of splenda per 12-15 oz cup of coffee for me x2
    I can't do black.. takes all the 'fun' out of coffee..
    For me coffee is a warm cup of awesome in the morning and black just doesn't do it! lol
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Black, glorious black! I'm sipping some delightful, full-bodied french press right now. I'll put some dairy in if the coffee if really horrid. And I'm not immune to flavored drinks (pumpkin, spice, etc.) at holidays, but I hardly ever use sugar otherwise, even in espresso (lemon peel, yes!).

I'm one of those weirdos who patiently stands in the long line at Starbucks, watching the ballet performance of the baristas making their more complex drinks, then asks, "bold of the day, black, venti, please." They all but "hrmmph!" at me sometimes for my simple plebian tastes. LOL.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Slowly cut back on the sugar and cream and you'll be amazed at how your taste buds adjust. I used to take coffee w/ cream and sugar, but I have totally eliminated the sugar over the past year. I don't miss it at all. I don't take cream in my coffee anymore (unless I get it at a restaurant) but with a small splash of skim milk.

I went to Dunkin Donuts last week to get coffee and they mistakenly put cream and sugar in it. It was so overly sweet I had to pour it out. It was nasty. I'm sitting here drinking black coffee now. (cuz I don't feel like bringing milk into work to keep)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I like the flavored creamers - CoffeeMate or International Delight. I use about 1-2 servings per cup and have 2 cups a day so it ends up just around 100 cals for my daily coffee cals. Totally worth it for me but when I am at a nice restaurant I do like just a splash of cream and sugar. I’ve not found almond milk to be creamy enough to give me the richness and sweetness I’m looking for.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Black 100%

Side adult joke/awkward story time. Almost every day at work we stop at tim hortons for coffee ( you really need it at my job) Theres an attractive black man who was flirting with me behind the counter for weeks. Thing is whenever i order an extra large black the damn guy giggles. LOL
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I put a packet of Nestle Fat Free Hot Chocolate in a cup, pour coffee over it, stir in a splash of sugar free flavored syrup. I've been drinking this just about every morning for the last 5 years.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    We don't have a Starbucks, so I usually just drink the free stuff from work black or I will add the flavored creamers- this week is International Delight Southern Butter Pecan Coffee Creamer, 35 cal per teaspoon and two will do.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    black coffee. good coffee makes all the difference
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I actually use powered milk to cut down on the calories. To sweeten it a bit, I'll use Splenda or sugar free syrup.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    At home I usually drink it black. I add cream as a treat when I have it out someplace...like at brunch. On the very rare occasions I go to a coffee place, I usually get a latte (hot or iced) with full fat milk. No sweetener.

Every once in a while if I want a little low cal dessert, I add cocoa powder and a little stevia (I dislike artificial sweeteners and stevia is natural) and make something resembling a mocha.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Before I weaned myself off the sugar/other sweeteners, I used to buy Jordan's skinny syrup and add those at home. They taste great (much better than Torani and other brands in my opinion) and have lots of flavors.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I drink a french roast and had about 2 teaspoons of cappuccino in it
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For Starbucks, I've set the limit of keeping my drinks near the 150 calorie mark for as much as I can squeeze in, and of course, working them in as a snack. I'll get one of the following depending on my mood:
    • Venti Light Coffee Frap w/Sugar Free Vanilla OR Skinny Mocha sauce if I want chocolate (160 cals, depending on skinny mocha sauce)
    • Grande Blonde Cappuccino with a splenda or two, or a pump of SF Vanilla
    • Doubleshot on Ice (Grande = 100 cals / Venti = 170 cals) - I'll often sub the classic syrup with SF Vanilla, which drops the calories a good bit
    • Grande Skinny Caramel Macchiato (140 cals)
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used to be a soy latte person, but as I was drinking 3 a day the Kj added up, so I thought I'd try drinking it black. It took a couple of weeks before I honestly enjoyed it, but now I simply can't imagine it any other way. If you actually like coffee, it's nice to be able to taste it!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have just weened myself over the years from lots of cream and sugar to just a couple Tbsp of flavored creamer with no added sugar. Good coffee is key. I also buy a good all natural creamer.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am sure it has been said but I will second everyone that said to grind your own beans and use a French press. I am kinda loving my new Vietnamese coffee system but I am not ready to endorse it yet because I only drink about 1 cup a week and I have not had it long enough.

Oh and if no one else suggested it... I gave up daily coffee 15ish years ago. As I said, I typically have 1 cup of coffee each week and obviously I have it on the weekend.
  • clioisms
    clioisms Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I order ice tea or unsweetened almond milk lattes (hot or cold)

And I use maple syrup as a sweetener substitute. ITS DELICIOUS! Don’t be put off it’s super good! I practice paleo and maple syrup is ok to have, just a tablespoon is pleanty for a 12oz drink