How can lose weight with having hypothyroidism?

Options
Rudegyal86
Rudegyal86 Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m having problems losing weight because I always gain it back. I have thyroid problems and it’s really making me wanna give up on trying to lose weight. Do anybody have any advice on what I can do?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Are your levels and meds controlled?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Adjust your meds, and keep an eye on your food after getting at your goal weight
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Sorry, but metabolism does not stop, otherwise people would die very quickly. There is a lot of research evidence that suggests that BMI reduces a bit at the onset of hypothyroidism, but that's it. Plus, a decreased thyroid hormone output leads to sluggishness, tiredness, less fidgeting, which all contribute to a slightly lower calorie need, plus increased water weight.

Are you quoting me?
    High levels of T3 (50mcg and over) suppress the release of thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH), which will reduce thyroid signaling hormone (TSH).

There is the risk of being sluggish when you come off T3, and your metabolism may grind to a screeching halt. Therefore, it is important to run supplements to help your thyroid levels recover quickly.

Essentially, this means you must come taper off the Cytomel for as much time as you were on, and run such supplements as zinc, selenium, ashwagandha and vitamin B-12. Luckily, there is a supplement that has all of these elements, and even more. It is called T3-PCT, sold by N2BM, and it is extremely affordable.

I've seen it hundreds of times.
    You can read all you want from the internet, but there's no experience like first hand.

I'm sorry, but I'm talking about properly conducted peer-reviewed studies in respectable scientific journals while you talk about incidental medication abuse that has nothing to do with the original question of the TO.

Can you link to these studies please, I'd be interested to read them.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and have been taking nature thyroid for many years. I have done much better with this naturally dissected thyroid med than I did with the synthetic hormone (synthroid). Anyway, yes you can lose weight if your thyroid hormones are stabilized. I also walk 3-4 miles 5 days a week which has helped tremendously too. I'm 60 and the pounds don't come off as easy these days, but with consistency and patience they do come off!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I lost weight in 2013.

I have maintained it since, including from mid 2016 on when I had only half a thyroid gland, the right side having been removed on account of a tumour.
    I dud not find it any harder after the surgery - although of course I took replacement medication and have the amount monitored.