13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    I struggle as well but mainly because of the fruit I eat as snacks and because I find carbs much more satisfying. Couscous is something that I find useful to provide a bit of extra protein to a meal and I've been trying to add some protein rich snacks such as eggs and cheese.
    But the whole point of getting in more protein, is satiety, and thus, compliance to calorie deficit! As a general rule of thumb, if it ain't broken, don't fix it :#

Surely the point of getting more/enough protein is to avoid muscle loss?
    Most people get enough protein to avoid muscle loss. Many people exaggerate the need for protein.

So as a 215 pound 5' 10 male how much protein should i be targeting?

Middle of the healthy BMI range is around 150, so .65-.85 g per 150 = 98-128, so probably around 110-115 g would be a good goal to avoid muscle loss (combined with weight training), maybe 120 g if you want to err on the higher side.

More is great if you find it helps with satiety, but if it doesn't I wouldn't stress to reach a goal beyond 110 (which it seems you are getting).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Have you changed goals from MFP's default? 20% should be easy to reach. Have some protein rich foods (meat, fish, eggs) as a natural part of each meal. Things like bread, pasta, and milk also provide some protein. Reduce amounts of low-nutrient carby foods like cookies, cake, candy, use less sugar in tea/coffee etc.

Yes. My goal is 148g / 36%. I’m reducing my carb intake to more efficiently reduce my calorie intake. I have a pretty carb heavy diet and rarely meet protein and fat goals. Usually it’s like cereal, sandwich, something with rice, repeat. When I don’t know what to eat, I usually find myself reaching for carby foods. Not necessarily cookies and cakes, but breads, rice, pasta, cereal, and granola. So I’m looking for doable substitutions / easy foods to add that will give me a little protein boost because that is where I struggle the most.

Cottage cheese or greek yogurt are easy sources of protein in a snack or as a side. Mostly I'd plan each meal around some protein and increase portions if you are low on protein (and decrease portions of the carby part of the meal).
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My goal used to be 140g of protein. Here is how I reached that goal:

-I have eggs or egg whites for breakfast
    -4-6oz of meat with lunch
    -4-6 oz of meat with dinner
    -2 snacks with at least 14g of protein
    Examples: 2 pieces of reduced fat string cheese, 6oz Greek yogurt with frozen cherries, tuna packets, 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas, 1/2 cup Enlighten broad beans, protein bars

I eat less protein now because I found that I don't need 140g. I am recomping just fine with between 120g and 130g. Sometimes I go over. My stats: H: 5'9" W: 146lb
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    reeeggiii wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, but I always reach my fat goal first, and never hit the carbs or protein. It's almost impossible for me to find foods which are high in protein and carbs but not in fats. :(

Chicken and fish are low in fat. I am usually under fat and at protein. There are a lot of protein sources that are lower in fat.

Yeah well the problem is that you rarely eat them raw, so you need some oil/fat when preparing them.

bake it...grill it...broil it
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, but I always reach my fat goal first, and never hit the carbs or protein. It's almost impossible for me to find foods which are high in protein and carbs but not in fats. :(

Chicken and fish are low in fat. I am usually under fat and at protein. There are a lot of protein sources that are lower in fat.

Yeah well the problem is that you rarely eat them raw, so you need some oil/fat when preparing them.

I grill, rotisserie, bake or poach all my meat so there is no added oil involved.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you changed goals from MFP's default? 20% should be easy to reach. Have some protein rich foods (meat, fish, eggs) as a natural part of each meal. Things like bread, pasta, and milk also provide some protein. Reduce amounts of low-nutrient carby foods like cookies, cake, candy, use less sugar in tea/coffee etc.

Yes. My goal is 148g / 36%. I’m reducing my carb intake to more efficiently reduce my calorie intake. I have a pretty carb heavy diet and rarely meet protein and fat goals. Usually it’s like cereal, sandwich, something with rice, repeat. When I don’t know what to eat, I usually find myself reaching for carby foods. Not necessarily cookies and cakes, but breads, rice, pasta, cereal, and granola. So I’m looking for doable substitutions / easy foods to add that will give me a little protein boost because that is where I struggle the most.
    That's a lot, twice what I eat. Do you have any particular reason for such a goal?
    I’m looking for meal and snack suggestions that contain protein. Eating protein to increase protein intake is kinda the topic here ;) My question is more like what do you eat to reach your protein goals. A pound of chicken? Or something a little more doable?
    This discussion will be circular, because there are no ways around the facts: The more unbalanced your diet is, the less doable it will be. If your priority is high protein, you must be willing to sacrifice taste. Protein food ideas will be foods high in protein, and I really don't think 1/2 pound of cod and 6 eggs will be any more appetizing than a pound of chicken.