Walking and weight loss

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Tq43 wrote: »
    My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!
    I, personally can't agree with this. My main exercise is walking. I walk 5-7km most days at a fast pace.
    According to map my walk...I burn anything between 270-400 kcal on those walks.
    How can that not help with weight loss? If I don't walk ...for various reasons...I don't see as much weightt loss that week.
    CICO seems lost on this lady!
    Maybe I'm wrong....what do.ye think ???

Walking will help you lose weight as part of an overall plan. There needs to be a Calorie Deficit at the end of the day, so if you burn more calories by walking, and then carelessly over eat, then it is futile. It's amazing that the leader of a program could put out such misinformation. I'd say your mother should definitely keep on walking. No doubt there's a fee charged for the slimming class, while walking is free. I think you can see what's happening there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    The formula is weight x .33 x miles =calories burned.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!
    I, personally can't agree with this. My main exercise is walking. I walk 5-7km most days at a fast pace.
    How can that not help with weight loss? If I don't walk ...for various reasons...I don't see as much weightt loss that week.

I disagree with slimming classes. :D
    As someone else pointed out they have a program to sell. They don't want people just watching their calorie intake on their own and walking for free.

Anything you do that causes you to burn more calories will help you lose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit. If you walk or swim or do exercise classes but increase your intake it won't necessarily help you lose weight.

I think I benefit from walking more beyond weight management. It is easy and free.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

I know that's the Runner's World formula, but frankly, based on my experience with my fitbit (which I've gauged against real world results), it's an underestimation.

Also, IIRC, I vaguely recall seeing a new, revised figure from them which in the .4 range.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

I know that's the Runner's World formula, but frankly, based on my experience with my fitbit (which I've gauged against real world results), it's an underestimation.

Also, IIRC, I vaguely recall seeing a new, revised figure from them which in the .4 range.

.57 That may be gross vs net though.

https://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Every movement burns calories. Personally I burn more calories walking 5 km than I do doing a 40 minute workout DVD.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    I realize that I am an unusual case, but a few years ago I started walking and lost over 50 lbs over the course of 2 years just by walking. I did't change what or how much I ate. Just walked every other day. But, I do walk on crutches so I lift my entire body weight with every step I take, which I would assume burns a lot more calories than normal. I didn't even give a thought to what I ate. I was probably already eating at maintenance, and probably burning a ton of calories. I lost 2 jean sizes over about 3 months and another 3 sizes over another 3 or 4 months. Everyone is different.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited April 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I realize that I am an unusual case, but a few years ago I started walking and lost over 50 lbs over the course of 2 years just by walking. I did't change what or how much I ate. Just walked every other day. But, I do walk on crutches so I lift my entire body weight with every step I take, which I would assume burns a lot more calories than normal. I didn't even give a thought to what I ate. I was probably already eating at maintenance, and probably burning a ton of calories. I lost 2 jean sizes over about 3 months and another 3 sizes over another 3 or 4 months. Everyone is different.

There's nothing unusual about that, nor does it show that "everyone is different".

You were eating at maintenance before, and the extra activity created enough of a calorie deficit (around -250 calories) for you to lose about 0.5 pounds per week over two years. Which is how weight loss happens for everybody - by consuming less calories than you expend. Whether you change the CICO equation on the CI side or the CO side, it's still creating a deficit.

No, it wasn't. Those sizes lost/time lost were over 2 summers. I didn't walk during the winter. Maintained the weightloss over winter then lost an additional 3 sizes the next summer. So it was more like 750 deficit or so. So I lost the weight in 3 month "chunks" with about 9 months off in between. I was walking 1/4 mile - 1/2 mile every other day.
  • jshupe71
    jshupe71 Posts: 5 Member
    Walking does work! I have been walking since November 1, 2017 and have lost 117.2 pounds. I only have 53 to go.
  • jshupe71
    jshupe71 Posts: 5 Member
    Walking does work! I have been walking since November 1, 2017 and have lost 117.2 pounds. I only have 53 to go.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Walking works for me. I lost 195 pounds in 2 years by walking and CICO. I'm still walking and climbing stairs. Been in maintenance since September.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I have lost over 40 pounds since January by mostly walking. It does work. I eat back about 200 to 250 of my calories from doing so.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited April 2018

I think the "leader" is an idiot who likes to be loud and the center of attention more than they like being right.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Ridiculas!
    How can walking not aid weight loss?
    Walking around the house maybe, but the distances you are doing, certainly.
    The only way this wouldn't work as well is if you were adding the 'walking' calories back into MFP.
    My cardio consists solely of walking on the treadmill, on maximum incline for 30m at a suggested calorie rate of 400-500.
    This linked with a calorie deficit from diet and the weight just falls off.

Ill bite. I wont pretend to be all high and mighty and pretend i didnt do the exact same thing. I walked very long distances -10-20 miles a day most days and still do- And admittedly i did not eat back majority of my calories. I was on 1200-1500 my entire 110lb loss. Granted i felt fine and i still do im in the minority on that. And i paid for it by becoming skinny fat with minimal muscle and have been working way harder thn i would have had to since.

To the point, Yes walking 100% helps you lose weight it increases your deficit and gets you moving. Of course its even obvious to the OP it works. BUT it is still your body moving it is exercise and not eating back atleast a portion of your exercise calories when using long distance walking as exercise will come back and bite you in the *kitten*, Whether it be a binge, Or muscle loss, malnourishment signs like hair loss, Hormonal issues like acne, Or for females even period loss.

Yes in the moment weight "falling off" is exciting and awesome, But weight should not "fall off" and we all know that lol. No matter how exciting it seems at the time speedy weight loss comes with its side effects.

Summed up- Walk away but dont for a second think its not exercise, And dont be afraid to fuel your exercise. MFP numbers dont include exercise at all

Hi,

This is me last year, and the year before, trust me, I know exactly what I'm what I'm doing with both my diet and activity levels (I hope that didn't sound condescending, because I didn't mean it to be that way).
    wk23sccuiwnw.jpg
    7so36d6ocm4m.jpg

so your pictures make it okay to you to tell people not to bother eating back exercise calories to make weight "fall off" ?

Why would you eat back the calories?
    It makes the effort put into the walk pointless.
    It's like setting the calorie deficit to -500 and eating 500 over.
    And you were 'skinny fat' because you were under eating in the first place.
    TDEE is calculated not just on stats but activity levels also, walking 10-20 miles a day on 1000-1200 calories you should have probably been on somewhere ball park 2700+.

Anyway I'm not here to argue, you have every right to your opinion as am I.
    Regards

Why would you eat back the calories? You would eat exercise calories back because that is how this site is designed. Large deficits help you lose weight faster, but aggressive dieting is often at the expense of existing lean muscle mass. Do you want weight loss OR do you want to target fat loss?

A 500 calorie deficit is provided BEFORE exercise (if you are using MFP numbers)......so exercise for 500 calories and eating 500 calories less is a 1,000 calorie deficit.

Skinny-fat comes from aggressive dieting......digging the hole deeper still through exercise. Exercise is great, but your body needs fuel (as in food) or your body will catabolize lean muscle mass.

TDEE is a calculator that includes exercise. MFP uses NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogensis).

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I get 30K steps a day, and most of that is purposeful exercise. There isn't anyone who's going to tell me that doesn't count. It adds a significant amount of calories to my TDEE.

I'm old, short, and already at a good weight for my height. I'd just like to lose a few vanity pounds. I'd be on poverty calories if it weren't for walking. Thanks to walking, I can eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight.

I used to run, but my arthritis got the better of me for a while. I might pick it up again, but I'll always supplement it with walking. Walking is also my stress relief. I've replaced anxiety eating with anxiety walking!

Man. I'm happy if I get 10-12. I'd love to get 30. Is most of it walking? How much of it comes from your job and cardio?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I get 30K steps a day, and most of that is purposeful exercise. There isn't anyone who's going to tell me that doesn't count. It adds a significant amount of calories to my TDEE.

I'm old, short, and already at a good weight for my height. I'd just like to lose a few vanity pounds. I'd be on poverty calories if it weren't for walking. Thanks to walking, I can eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight.

I used to run, but my arthritis got the better of me for a while. I might pick it up again, but I'll always supplement it with walking. Walking is also my stress relief. I've replaced anxiety eating with anxiety walking!

Man. I'm happy if I get 10-12. I'd love to get 30. Is most of it walking? How much of it comes from your job and cardio?

I don't have a job. I'm still homeschooling one of my kids, so that's my job. I don't do any cardio except for the brisk walking (I have a home treadmill).

I also lift weights every other day, so that amounts to 3-4 days a week.

While I don't mind walking on the treadmill, I really do hate running on it. I will probably pick running back up once the weather finally shifts again here on the east coast, so that will be a little cardio. But to be honest, there's not much difference in my walking and running pace. I'm a really, really slow runner and a pretty fast walker.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2018

Ridiculas!
    How can walking not aid weight loss?
    Walking around the house maybe, but the distances you are doing, certainly.
    The only way this wouldn't work as well is if you were adding the 'walking' calories back into MFP.
    My cardio consists solely of walking on the treadmill, on maximum incline for 30m at a suggested calorie rate of 400-500.
    This linked with a calorie deficit from diet and the weight just falls off.

Hmm, I am bigger so can't walk as fast but I burn that amount in an hour of walking according to my garmin. I just started walking on the treadmill and enjoy it.