Walking and weight loss

Tq43
Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!
I, personally can't agree with this. My main exercise is walking. I walk 5-7km most days at a fast pace.
According to map my walk...I burn anything between 270-400 kcal on those walks.
How can that not help with weight loss? If I don't walk ...for various reasons...I don't see as much weightt loss that week.
CICO seems lost on this lady!
Maybe I'm wrong....what do.ye think ???

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    She is probably saying that because most people think "oh, if I exercise I will lose weight", which by itself is not a full proof plan.

Most exercise has great health benefits and increases energy expenditure. But, without monitoring intake while exercising many people end up eating back even more than they burned because they experience and increase in appetite. Even those that don't have an increase in appetite when working out often overestimate burns, underestimate calories in food, and fall into the "well I worked out, so I earned that donut" type mentality, and negate all their effort.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Of course walking works - as an overall component of a deficit. Much of this is semantics. I use MFP for logging, and don't worry too much about what I eat back. But there's context to that. My weight loss planning is not centered around NEAT - I use TDEE minus activity. Since walking is a part of my activity it's accounted for and I am already "eating those calories back" it's not different than doing this the NEAT way. So my TDEE minus deficit hits, say 2400 calorie goal. For the same goal, NEAT gives me 2000 and I "eat back 400 for exercise (and yes I can get 6-700 walking 4 miles in the hills of our neighborhood at a brisk pace). We end up in the same place.

When my walking is more I lose more. When it's less I lose less.