Walking and weight loss

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Tq43 wrote: »
    My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!

I'd ask what the brand of slimming class is? Best in mind that in most branded slimming systems they're promoting their own system, and factoring in calories expended in walking may not fit with the model.

I'd also question how the leader is trained, many systems essentially script everything so the leader may not have any real understanding of the physiological factors.
  • karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    While I agree that just walking is unlikely to produce the dramatic results that most people are wanting when they want to lose weight, "just" 140 calories is nothing to sneeze at.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. And my opinion is that by comparison, that hour is a complete waste of time compared to not drinking that can of coke or glass of wine with dinner. To the original poster, maybe it's a whole different matter - maybe she REALLY wants that glass of wine or whatever. But I would personally just skip it and do something else with my hour.

Again, this is my opinion on the context of weight loss only. I walk a pretty good amount daily (5+ miles). I just don't do it for the purposes of weight loss as I feel that for that purpose it's a waste of time. These days I walk to clear my head and keep my heart in decent shape.

• karl317
    Options
    I might feel differently if I hated walking, but the fact that I enjoy it it probably coloring my opinion here. My daily lunch walk "pays" for my evening glass of wine and that seems like a pretty good arrangement for me.

I'm with you. I truly love my daily walk and look forward to it every day. It's how I basically resolve the things in my crazy, stressful life. I think it's a fantastic habit, and wouldn't give it up for any reason. I would go mad otherwise, probably :)

I lost the bulk of my weight on diet alone, after researching that exercise is basically a really poor way to lose weight. My walking habit came later, after accidentally discovering that it was a great way to think over my day. It also did wonders for my resting heart rate - going from the mid-to-high 60's to low 50's.

I think everyone agrees that it exercise helps in minuscule ways for weight loss. I just don't feel that's where its prime benefits lie. People ALWAYS seem to overestimate the good exercise is doing towards their waistlines - but are quick to ignore how much damage their diets are doing. Worse, many people feel that they can simply make up the difference by walking an extra couple of miles when all it's really buying them is half of that can of Pepsi. It's probably not worth it, it was probably never worth it.

All that said, I'm still going to walk for my own sanity's sake :) Everything else is secondary.
  • karl317
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Why not both? Walking AND the glass of wine? At the same time. :)

Check your local laws first :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I like the way you think!
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I was taken back when my mum said it to me.
    I mean, my Mum has 2 stone to lose to get a healthy bmi , has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. ... I've been encouraging her to take up walking.... not anything too strenuous to start with ....maybe 2 miles a day and work it up. She's only in her mid 60s so I'd love her her get her cholesterol and bp under control.
    She's made some great dietry changes lately, which will help hugely, but I feel walking would be an added benefit ....and for the leader to say this.....it just baffles me !!
    I'll keep encouraging her and I'll keep doing what I'm doing too... I am at the stage where I need to add something else in....like strength training and / or circuit classes.... but walking has helped me get to this stage....by aiding weight loss and building stamina.... and ill always continue it .
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    karl317 wrote: »
    I might feel differently if I hated walking, but the fact that I enjoy it it probably coloring my opinion here. My daily lunch walk "pays" for my evening glass of wine and that seems like a pretty good arrangement for me.

I'm with you. I truly love my daily walk and look forward to it every day. It's how I basically resolve the things in my crazy, stressful life. I think it's a fantastic habit, and wouldn't give it up for any reason. I would go mad otherwise, probably :)

I lost the bulk of my weight on diet alone, after researching that exercise is basically a really poor way to lose weight. My walking habit came later, after accidentally discovering that it was a great way to think over my day. It also did wonders for my resting heart rate - going from the mid-to-high 60's to low 50's.

I think everyone agrees that it exercise helps in minuscule ways for weight loss. I just don't feel that's where its prime benefits lie. People ALWAYS seem to overestimate the good exercise is doing towards their waistlines - but are quick to ignore how much damage their diets are doing. Worse, many people feel that they can simply make up the difference by walking an extra couple of miles when all it's really buying them is half of that can of Pepsi. It's probably not worth it, it was probably never worth it.

All that said, I'm still going to walk for my own sanity's sake :) Everything else is secondary.

Yes, if someone was only going to do *one thing* for weight loss, I would always recommend focusing on diet first. It's just too hard for your average person looking to lose weight to do enough exercise to create a meaningful deficit if they aren't also focusing on limiting the amount of calories they're eating.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options

I like the way you think!

LOL I don't even drink but I've got the eating while walking thing down to a science.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Tq43 wrote: »
    My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!
    I, personally can't agree with this. My main exercise is walking. I walk 5-7km most days at a fast pace.
    According to map my walk...I burn anything between 270-400 kcal on those walks.
    How can that not help with weight loss? If I don't walk ...for various reasons...I don't see as much weightt loss that week.
    CICO seems lost on this lady!
    Maybe I'm wrong....what do.ye think ???

Walking and exercise in general may or may not help with weight loss...it still comes down to being in a calorie deficit. A lot of people pick up exercise and still don't lose weight because they compensate with more food whether conscious of that or not. I see it all of the time at my gym...people have the exercise part down, but not the food part.

^Truth. I've been going to the same gym for over 2 1/2 years. I see plenty of "regulars" in there who lift/do cardio several times a week and they never look any different. Exercise can help create the calorie deficit, but the old saying that "you can't out-train a bad diet" is true.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Timely research review about walking, even though it is more directed toward cardiovascular health than weight loss: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3098122/