Your favourite kitchen tool (next to the scale)

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
Wow, I wish I'd done this much, much earlier!

I bought a mortar and pestle and made sambal kacang (peanut sauce) on Sunday evening, and only knowing the dehydrated terrible Dutch stuff and having had great ones on vacation I have to say this sauce so unbelievably fragrant and delicious! Why didn't I buy a mortar much earlier? Actually, after this first test run, grinding the peanuts, then the spices, onions, garlic and terassi and making a pot of sambal oelek I realised I need to buy a bigger one. Even for a single person a 14cm mortar is too small. Oh well.. it was only £10. So now I'm looking at 18cm ones that are also deeper.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    10" chefs knife.
  • Herbstheword
    Herbstheword Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tongs!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I definitely use my knives the most (mine are Zwilling Pros I bought with my first "career" paycheque about twelve years ago and I adore them), but as far as gadgets go, it's the stand mixer, followed by the Actifry. I never buy gimmicky stuff like that but I love that stupid fryer. You can throw a pound of basically any vegetable in there and it comes out all crispy and delicious. I throw a drizzle of white truffle oil, lemon juice, and a couple flakes of Parmesan on afterwards and it is SO GOOD.

I use my stand mixer a ton though, and I have the meat grinding, chopping/slicing, and pasta attachments, all of which are heavily used. Lately I've been making a lot of fresh pizza dough since I can finally buy 00 flour at my usual grocery store.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Spiralizer, Instant Pot and chef's knife.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My espresso maker.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    measuring cups and measuring spoons.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My mandoline slicer! Makes nice even slices any size from thick to paper thin!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The one I'm using is my favorite. I can't choose between them.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    A good knife and board, a good non-stick shallow pan, my Instant Pot.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    10" chefs knife.

This is my favorite and most used.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I use the little food processor attachment on my hand blender a lot. Actually, I use the hand blender a lot in general.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    10" chefs knife.

This is my favorite and most used.

I have a big £3 chef knife from Lidl. Still works well 15 months after buying it. I'm actually really surprised by that. But then I'm only really learning to cook at the moment and would rather not wreck an expensive knife.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

I have an irrational fear of mandolin slicers (and deli slicers, too).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    My working set of 3 Chinese cleavers (small, med & large) plus my 14" sharpening stick to keep them cutting cleanly.

I've got over 2 dozen other knives of various types and sizes but, if I was forced to choose only 1 knife to use, I'd choose the medium sized Chinese cleaver, which can do almost everything all of the other knives can do and sometimes do it better.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    mandolin slicer, instant pot, crockpot and coffee maker :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Cuisinart Griddler. I've never actually used it, but my husband uses it several times a week to make us great sandwiches, seared tofu, pancakes, etc. We got it as a gift and didn't think we would use it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Instant Pot, KichenAid, Victorinox knife, Le Creuset dutch oven and Lodge cast iron frying pan!
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

I have an irrational fear of mandolin slicers (and deli slicers, too).

Oh, mine has a guard and it's fantastic. If used correctly, it's a thing of beauty.