Young kid at the gym

Options
124»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There is this large young kid who trains at my gym..

Now its great that he trains and is trying to shed the weight, however his technique is terrible, he jumps from bicep curl to leg press, to the cross trainer, back to bicep curls, to a minute on the bike, onto bench press etc...he is all over the place, i seen him do 45 reps on the barbel bench press yesterday & over 100 leg presses in one set..!!

Sounds to me like he is just doing Crossfit.

I was going to say some Jillian Michaels routine, but sure.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every single response to this thread, but did the OP ever say if they ever had a conversation with said kid to see what the kids end goal is? If the kid is open to help, a conversation is the first way to find out. I wouldn't just walk up and start giving advice, but a person can start a conversation and it can lead to useful information for both parties involved.

Just a thought.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I see what ya did there. ;P I do definitely agree with what you're saying, though! Unfortunately most people will plead ignorance and play the "shy" card. One thing I liked about the gym on campus when I was in college was how helpful other students were, people would take the initiative to assist another that looked like they may need it, people were willing to share equipment between sets, etc. Definitely don't see -that- in a lot of the other gyms I have been to! Ha!

yeah- very much so.

I personally only accept advice from people who I KNOW know what they are doing- which means in turn- I assume they do'nt want me to just walk up since they don't know me from adam.

and yeah- I agree- campus gyms are TOTALLY different than big commercial gyms. I actually kind of miss my college gym. :( nostalgia nostalgia
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    we are our brother's keeper yes go help the young man out iam sure he will thank you for it
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If his form is going to cause him injury then ask if he wants help with form. Otherwise, leave him alone.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    He might be doing kris gethin's DTP routine which is supeR popular at the minute and involves 100 and 50 rep sets......or maybe he has no idea what he is doing.

I dunno.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I agree with the helpful warning to avoid going to chat up a minor. There are whole TV shows devoted to that.

I realized I did something similar when my B-I-L was telling me all about his workout routines. His stated goals were not at all in line with what he was doing, and I told him so in great detail. Later on I realized that I am always critical of him when he tells me about that kind of stuff. I think he's a wonderful person and I'm happy that what he is doing is making him feel great, so I told him so and apologized for butting in.

And this was even in a conversation with someone I know quite well and my opinion was welcome, yet I was still wrong.

Also it's really none of your business. Unless he is in imminent danger of injuring himself or someone else (about to let a plate slide off his bar, etc.), it's probably best to busy yourself with something else to avoid getting cranked up about how wrong he is...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is the duty of the staff to coach him on how to properly use equipment and exercise, then speak to a manager. Personally, and I know this sounds cruel, I wouldn't both stressing over it.

NOPE.

This is often (at a larger gym) a huge misconception.

Trainers are paid to train- paying clients.

Front desk people- they are just front desk people. Unless you pay for a gym that INCLUDES the cost of trainers- most of them are likely paid PER CLIENT. Which isn't much.

If the opportunity happens to open itself- by all means- coach away- point him in the right direction. But don't expect people who are paid to help paying clients to go out of their way to help others. How many times have you heard on here "a trainer walked up to me...."

double standard much?

Think you may have misread what I typed. Depending on the gym, as you also clarified, there may be staff there for the purpose of explaining how to use different equipment ; often in addition to staff, there are trainers that will offer services if paid for. Hence why I said, speak to the Manager.

Less hostility, more positivity! :)

THIS ^^^

maybe it is because MY gym is the local YMCA, but the way it is set up, there is a "wellness coach" ( trainer) on duty during most of the busy hours, and a fitness monitor available during the rest of the time. One of their duties is to orient new members on how to use the machines, make sure no one kills themselves doing something stupid...and train paying clients.

There was one lady that I watched for probably 2-3 weeks before I approached her. The cardio machines face the weight machines, and I tend to look around while I am on the bike. This lady came in and would get on the cable chest press and do this very awkward looking shadow boxing thing. She was all over the place and obviously straining with too heavy of a weight. My trainer was fully aware of what she was doing, several people informed him, but he wasn't sure *HOW* to approach her without upsetting her. Finally one day I couldn't take it anymore...I approached her and said I had noticed that she was struggling a bit, and could I show her a few moves that might be more effective. She did allow me to demonstrate, and even thanked me for my help. Before I walked away, I did suggest that she sign up for the free class, specifically for those machines, that the trainer teaches.

A few weeks ago during a training session I did observe MY trainer step in when a kid was doing bent over rows super fast. He told the kid that he should slow down a little so he doesn't blow out his shoulder.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    NOTE TO SELF:

Do not ask a question on the MFP Forum again.

See I could have told you that! :laugh: As soon as I read your opening post, my latent psychic powers told me that one or more people would say "You should be concentrating on your own workout. Duh. If you're working out hard, you wouldn't even notice what you noticed.." That's a standard response to questions like this and anything else about the gym that has to do with others. Been there, done that, have the souvenier to show for it.:wink:

And I for one do notice what others do at the gym. I have two good eyes. It has nothing to do with not working out hard enough.

I would bring this to the attention of the staff. It's their issue especially for liability reasons. I don't know if would approach the kid directly, but if you're up for it, why not. At the local YMCA I go to sometimes, they are very good about helping newer people use the machines, correct their technique and so on. However, because they are so busy with their duties, they don't always spot the people who need help and the staff appreciate it when someone brings a matter like this to their attention.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    NOTE TO SELF:

Do not ask a question on the MFP Forum again.
    That's why I just lurk. It's like Christians vs. Lions. Watching can be an evil entertainment but participation is to be avoided... unless you're the lion.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that so many people have chosen to burn you for your post. At the end of the day, most of the negative stuff that has been said to you says more about the person saying it than it does about you (who, it must be said, none of us actually know, and thus any judgements are made in ignorance).

What I see is someone who is genuinely concerned about a young person, and who genuinely wants to help. It is clear that you have experience in gyms, and that working out is your lifestyle choice. I am assuming that you have gained knowledge, regardless of whether you are "qualified" or not. It is clever to talk to the gym staff; this is their job, and in this litigious and suspicious age (point in case - look at the sarcastic responses to your post!) it is better to avoid situations that may cause conflict.

You are looking at this young person, pleased that they are here, and picturing yourself in his place. And you appear to be very sincere and compassionate. Both things I think are admirable, and not to be knocked. And I am sure that your fondest wish is to witness this young man turn his weight issues around, and possibly be one of those who cheer him on or at the very least pat him on the back in encouragement and support.

This is a gym where you are a member. The members need to be invested in their facility. If this means you need to give constructive feedback, then that is well worth doing. You can only benefit by doing this; be the proactive person you appear to be, and speak in the place where the most benefit will be gained. Keep watching this boy. We all need to be more involved in building a strong society, and that means reaching out and encouraging each other (pay attention, knockers). We need to be more like you.

Thank you for being so caring. Your question had merit; it did not deserve the negativity you have copped. In amongst it all, though, there is some great feedback and advice. Pay attention to that.

PS - to those knockers out there: each and every one of the people you mock has a story. You are arrogantly making judgements, and showing that you have not faced the kinds of challenges that lift you out of selfishness and ego. None of us are perfect, but you certainly can see the calibre of a person who easily jumps to conclusions about others, and lifts themselves up as the benchmark for perfection. Try being kind. One day you may need someone to be kind to you.

I am on my soapbox, here. I don't often venture into the forums, any more. But I feel strongly about having a say against negativity, especially in response to something truly positive and genuine.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    His/Her workout is ok,, that is called circuit training or total body workout ,, and ice cream is fine IIFYM :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    You lost me at "I seen him," and then drove it home with "fat kid."
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself at the gym. If you notice what people are or aren't doing in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

Utter nonsense mate...

If you're lifting hard, I assure you, you won't have time to be counting that some kid is doing 100 reps. My bet is that you're in no better shape than the poor kid you're trying to help.

When you actually focus on your own workout, you will look like this
    <<-

Which you don't. Nuff' said.

ROFL. This guy is a joke. With a post like this... it's more like you're too busy looking at yourself to notice anyone else.

I agree, sounds like quite a knob.

OP, your question is totally valid, do whatever you think is right :)