The first time you realised you were actually over weight.

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    When the button snapped on ALL of my pants.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had just gotten home from Christmas in Minnesota with my Dad's side of the family and I saw a picture my Aunt had taken of me holding her 3 months old little boy. I. Was. HUGE! I looked like I had just had him and probably had five more still inside. I was incredulous. I looked through some of my other photos and found one of my girlfriend and I standing next to each other. I looked like I could EAT her and still be hungry! O.O

That's what scared me into action, seeing myself huge in pictures. I still don't like having my picture taken, but they are easier to look at. And I cannot wait until I can hit my goal weight and put the pictures side by side and amaze myself.
  • mgnmsn1
    mgnmsn1 Posts: 12
    Options
    My boyfriend and I started talking about marriage. I started to think "What kind of dress will I buy?" Then I was realized I was going to have to buy a dress that covered my arms, my stomach, my back, my legs, everything! I didn't want to be a fat bride or wife. I am so glad I have changed.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    when I went to the doctor and realized my current regular weight was higher than what I weighed the day I went to the hospital to deliver my second child

Nearly the same thing, my weight was 15 pounds more than I weighed with any of my three pregnancies at any stage.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I was probably the fattest vegetarian I have ever known. By 7th grade I was a solid 50 pounds overweight, but I had the confidence of a Victoria's Secret model. To put it bluntly, I thought I was the *kitten*. I had DD breasts, a very defined hourglass figure, a pretty face, red hair, and I thought I had it all.In my mind I was a curvy, renaissance Goddess. What I didn't see was the angry red stretch marks that had begun to form on my thighs and hips, and loose sagging skin on my arms. I ate 3 servings of pasta for dinner with absolutely no shame, not really understanding the consequences that came with it.

Once day my mom very cautiously approached me with a brochure about a "health and fitness" sleep away camp for teens. Basically it was a fat camp. I was shocked, appalled, and absolutely blown away. My mother and I were always very close, and I considered her my best friend. I know now that she was really concerned about my health and well being, but back then I felt so hurt and betrayed that she thought I was fat enough to get shipped off to some weight loss camp. Despite how angry I was over the incident I agreed to go to the doctor for a check up. 185 pounds, pre-hypertension, high cholesterol, and pre-diabetes were all permanently branded onto my medical history and I left the doctors office in tears. I went home and stripped down bare naked and looked at myself in my full length mirror.

Everything I had once admired was gone, and like a veil was lifted from my eyes I saw the sagging dimpled skin, stretch marks, folds and creases, and horrifying rippling at the slightest movement. It was soul crushing. I never recovered from the blow to my self esteem. Even 60 pounds lighter I still see what I saw in the mirror that day. The psychological impact was extreme.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Six years after my fourth child was born. I realized I weighed almost as much as when I was 9 months pregnant with him, and he was entering first grade. I decided I really couldn't call it "baby fat" any more. I will never be as small as I was before I had kids--but I was too skinny then anyway (5ft 7in and 120 lbs) Now I'm 150ish and I have some nice muscles that I didn't have before---I can actually lift my kids up, including my eldest, who is 15 years old, 6ft 1in tall and weighs 130lb! ( He was almost as shocked as I was)
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My first time was when I had my second surgery for "female issues" and had a difficult time getting ONTO my bed. Getting out was a challenge anyway due to the incisions, but getting into bed shouldn't have been a huge problem. That was 13 years ago.

Since restarting MFP this year, I've lost 10+ inches, and 12 pounds. It's not a huge weight loss, but I'm not looking for a quick fix. I'm looking at a new lifestyle - one that will work with my life. Not an unrealistic eat healthy 100% of the time - that's not going to happen. I know that I'll have ice cream and cake and chips, just not everyday and not in the huge quantities that I once had.

Anyone looking for a quick fix (which I did in the past myself) needs to know that once you eat normally again you will most likely gain at least some of that weight back. I at one point had lost about 30 pounds, only to gain back 15-20 of them back (I managed to shrink my stomach some, hence not all of it came back).
  • Thea53186
    Thea53186 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've always been big. But this time around - it was seeing work Holiday party pictures that ... it was like... I can't even believe that is me! I didn't see them until about three months ago - and it was a HUGE (literally) wake up call. I printed the picture and showed my son who said to me it was photoshopped... but it WASN'T. So... yep. That's what did it and still does!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ever over weight, and I was so active that I could eat whatever I wanted. So in 2003 I was in a car accident. It left me on crutches 1 year, 6 months, 6 weeks, and 6 days. I counted everyday, because I could no longer do all the things I was used to doing. It felt like forever!!
    Anyway, we had gone to a family Christmas get together. I had to buy a size 16 jeans, so I knew I was gaining weight. When I seen the pictures I was devastated. You'd have thought I would have said enough was enough then.

I had continued to gain, and when the scale said I was 2 pounds from weighing 300 pounds I decided that was my turning point! I refused to weigh 300 pounds! So, I was doing good. I lost 16 pounds. My dad passed away and I fell off. 8 months later my mom died to. I was left feeling like my whole world had changed, and like I needed a change. I half expected everyone else to change, but the only thing some people did was make me feel like an alien. So I told myself, "You be the change!!"

I spent a month thinking about the changes I wanted to make. I decided that there would be no more of me letting others walk all over me. I decided that I was going to live my life, and do things I wanted to do. Most importantly I decided I was going to get healthy so I could live a normal life. On May 7th I went to the Dr and told her my plan. She said it was doable. That day I weighed 281.4. On July 30th I weighed 250.
  • Christinaitistime
    Christinaitistime Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I put on a bathing suit I had put away for the winter and my belly rolled over the top. Now I knew I hadn't lost "the baby" weight I just didn't realize that I hadn't lost any of it!! That was almost 8 years ago. I lost 20lbs and have since gained it back.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Had some fancy family photos done a few years back and when they came back I looked at the ones of me and my brother. My brother looked like my brother. I looked like someone who had eaten my brother for breakfast.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ***My story is lengthy, ridiculous,and full of denial.***
    I was a scrawny,sickly kid and a very fit teenager. I moved away from home when I was 19. Eventually, I stopped going for my daily jog and working out. I noticed little things such as: my Sensei saying I had gotten a little pudgy, nobody commented on my impressive fitness level, I wasn't able to wear anything but my yoga pants,and my roommate (always much larger than me) was giving me jeans that she had outgrown. They were still several sizes too big for me at the time, so I decided I would wear them to paint in. One day, I tried to put them on,but couldn't get them over my thighs. I kept telling myself, "She's probably buying them in the junior's section...no wonder she can't wear them, they're a girl's size.Mush have shrank in the dryer last time."

Every Christmas my grandmother holds a family dinner. In 2011 ,I was flipping through the photos on my camera,and the shock took my breath away. When had I gotten so big? I weighed around 190. I started working out some,following the HCG diet,and dropped almost 40 pounds in 3 months. My family was "relieved" that I was losing.

I had not lost the weight with healthy methods,and within 2 years, I gained nearly 60 pounds. That's more than I started with! Once again, I was oblivious until I visited my doctor and stepped on the scale. I had apparently become high risk for diabetes and developed thyroid problems. She told me I had to change my diet,or I would never lose the weight.
    I had weighed 125 in 2007, 150 in 2010, and I weighed in at 205 in December 2012 (yikes!).
  • autumn26
    autumn26 Posts: 44
    Options
    I knew I had gained a lot during my last pregnancy but it actually HIT me a few weeks while shopping with a friend in a plus size store and realizing that the clothes there would now fit me.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I was always the skinniest in the bunch. 13 years later looking at my friend and her three kids she looks great. As for myself I weigh 185 and have three kids. Hitting point three months ago looking at before and after pics of me and friends.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Not really the first time I realized it but the first time I realized how much in denial one could be about weight gain. I was in college and didn't own a scale, I knew I was gaining a bit but I was buying the same size jeans. I told myself they were "making them smaller and tighter" now because that was the style, everyone laid down to put on their skinny jeans. The day it finally hit me was when the front of my jeans just suddenly split open while out clubbing one night - no denying you are squeezing your self into pants three sizes too small when they burst open and not even at the seam! It was totally humiliating but thank God I had a long shirt on to hide my muffin top so no one saw it happen.
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here mentioned things said to them as a child that shaped the way they saw themselves from that moment forward. Someone posted this a while back and it is just such a good read and something we all should consider when speaking to our friends, children, loved ones, ect...

http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/parenting-and-families/when-your-mother-says-shes-fat-20130604-2nnxq.html
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    When I got a new job and was out buying a suit and realized that I had to get a size 14. I was so humiliated and went home and cried.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    was a really amazing read, crazy how it can really sneak up on you isnt it?
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    When I had to keep the button on my jeans popped open. Not after a meal, all the time. Got on the scale and looked in the mirror, yep I was overweight. Muffin top? More like a soufflé top... :cry:
  • alykaye05
    alykaye05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mine was back in 4th grade, I was getting fitted for the outfit that I would have to wear when being any alter server at church and the older lady fitting us had to get a larger size for me and just looked at me and said, "You better quit eating those mashed potatoes!" I was mortified and ever since I seem to have an issue with potatoes and want to indulge in my own pity... :sad: But over time I lost some weight and grew into a person who was semi comfortable with herself by the time I turned 18. That only lasted a couple years and I started to gain again, I have fought this all of my life being the fat one or the huge one! I just want to be the smaller one or even the pretty one for a change! I get embarrassed going out with friends and even my husband because I feel like they dont deserve to have to be seen with me this way. :cry: I am 5 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight and plan on losing more but it is hard, very hard! I know that I will never be skinny or in a bikini but I just want to be happy with myself and for once in my life love myself for who I am! Good luck to everyone!!!