The first time you realised you were actually over weight.

Options

Replies

• Mahoganyrodgers
    Options
    I had no full body pictures of myself.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It was never a secret to me. I was made fun of for my weight for as long as I can remember.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always knew. But when my doctor said I had a shot in hell getting pregnant at my current weight I knew I had to do something about it.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I always knew, but I didnt realize HOW big I had gotten until I went shopping for a new dress and I had to go to the plus sizes cos XL wasn't cutting it! :-(
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Mine is weird but whatever... well i was in 10th grade and i realized that i could reach my own nipple with my tung... and i thought "my man boob goes that far!" freaked out and lost about 40lbs i felt like Peter Griffen from the show Family Guy when he was outside of the public pool and he makes a scene by licking his own nipple LMAO!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't recall ever having an epiphany about being over weight. Part of my issue is I feel overweight even when I'm not.

But I will say the final straw for me in forcing me to do something about it is when my wedding photos from last June came in and I looked three months pregnant in my wedding dress. I felt awesome all day that day and had no idea how bad I really looked. That combined with some threatening comments from my doctor about future health issues, and having to take pants out of my closet that were too small for the second time in three months, was the final straw.
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I knew I was heavy but didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I need to buy a belt as my pants were starting to get loose. I was excited about it until I actually went to buy a belt. I tried all the sizes in the women's department and none of them would fit, so I went over to the men's department and picked up a size 44 belt. Low and behold that was the one. I was so embarrassed. My heart just sank. To make matters worse my 5 year old was with me and made a comment about me having to shop in the men's department. I then also realized she was as tall as the length of the belt. So now I am without a doubt going to lose this weight. I don't care how long it takes, I am never going back.
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just thought I was a little overweight. Although I had a hard time running, my clothes weren't fitting right, and the double chin started to turn into a triple chin (at least in my eyes), I was still fooling myself.

I finally realized it when looking at a couple of pictures of myself. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Then I decided it was time for a change. I went out and bought a tight work-out outfit, and I cried. I looked pregnant! That was the last straw!

Nobody ever told me that I was fat either. My husband is overweight too, and he would always tell me how I was perfect. Now he tells me how proud he is of me that the weight is coming off and how good I look.
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    I was in sixth grade. I had just moved to a new school and a lot of the boys called me "fatty patty" -- mostly because children are cruel. my name isn't even Patty!
    my "friends" gave me the nickname of "Bounce" -- which I didn't understand until I was older.

I was extremely athletic, so I was bigger with lots of muscle. I never thought that I was overweight because I could out lift and out run anyone.

I started getting self conscious in high school after I tore my ACL -- because then all my tone disappeared :(
  • Bel0602
    Bel0602 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Luckily I was only 2 or 3 pounds overweight. I didn't really realize it until I started feeling uncomfortable with myself. I hated shopping. After i lose the 2 pounds or so that classified me as being over weight I still wasn't satisfied. I felt like there was defiantly room for improvement. Even though I only lost 12 pounds it has made a huge difference. (I think because I'm short with a small frame.) I dropped a jean size. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I was a chubby kid, and my friends made fun of me, and that made me gain even worse. Looking back to pictures from that time, I wasn't really even fat. People are d#cks.

I lost and gained it back several times in my 20's. Several years ago, I realized it had gone too far south when i saw a horrible picture. Plus I remember what it felt like to be fit, and I missed that. Not dying walking up a flight of stairs, etc, so I'm getting rid of it for good this time.
    It's going so much slower now that I'm older though.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    For me it was a picture someone else took of me at a family gathering. I usually take the pictures, so I'm rarely in them. I was really shocked by how different I looked. I knew I had gained weight, but I didn't realize how much. I also realized somehow my brain was lying to me every time I looked in the mirror. That was nearly 9 years ago. I think the decision that I was done riding the emotional hormone roller coaster of being pregnant and I could finally have my body back, spurred me into action.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    January 2012---Disney pics--sweet Mother of God-- I ate half of Orlando!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It was a god awful Christmas photo taken of me. It literally scared me to pieces. I did not see what I saw in that photo, in the mirror. The very next day I started eating better and joined the gym(and haven't looked back since!)

I still keep that photo framed in my home office to remind me how far I have come, and what I have accomplished.
  • katarina236
    katarina236 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight but what really made me change is getting on the scale about a month before my 29th birthday and seeing that I was the biggest I have ever been! Everyone was telling me that it is all down hill after you hit your 30s and I decided that I wanted to enter my 30s being in the best shape that I have ever been in my life! It has been a slow and steady process but this time I am not looking for a quick fix but a healthy lifestyle that will give me tons of energy to enjoy my life to the fullest.
  • laurenh729
    laurenh729 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thats exactly what happened to me, then the doctor told me a was a pretty girl and i should start thinking about loosing weight. best thing that could have ever happened to me what that injury
  • roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We went on holidays to Spain, first day there we headed down the beach. Coming from Irleand and having not been away the previous year I wasn;t exactly tanned

So got the sun cream on, and got to sun bathing, and half fell asleep

When I woke up there was a team from the local zoo, hosing me down and a construction crew trying to get a harness under me so the crane could get me back into the water

Just laughed out loud in the office during my lunch break! Thanks for cheering up my day!
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine were photos!

The first was denial - it was a photo when we were still in the USA, at a family gathering. I was like ohhh, it's ok, you can pull that back in.

Second was denial #2 - saw a photo of when we just moved here to Germany and I look like I have fat around my neck area - on the top of my back. I was like whoa - I have never seen that before.

Then third - when I could deny no more. I was wearing tights and baggy tops over the winter. It hid what had happened until I saw a photo of my baggy top clinging to me and the tights clinging to my massive thighs.

I put all 3 photos together and they're now my motivation. I had already started my new lifestyle when I went to the doctor 2 weeks into it and she said I had high blood pressure and had to lose weight. It's the first time that a doctor has ever called me overweight, and it wasn't a happy day.
  • cazcarr89
    Options
    Being weighed after having my daughter, and the constant reminder; old photos :( definately motivate me to get back to what I was. It kills me to think I've let myself go without even noticing :(

Typing this also makes it hit home that things need to change.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It was a picture for me, too. We were visiting family and the picture was of me, my mom, and my two sisters. I was like twice as big as any of them.