HELP! I'm stuck :(

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Thanks Philly and need2move... I just need some encouragement... I don't want to starve myself. I feel like I am already eating the right amount, and don't always even reach the 1300 calorie mark, especially since the elliptical adds at least 400 calories for 40 minutes, sometimes a bit more depending on how hard I go. Shulerjs, maybe you are right about my body getting used to the "new" me... I have just started doing more exercise. Is it possible that I am just gaining muscle mass??? So frustrated... :(

No, you can't gain muscle on a deficit. It's probably water retention and your body adjusting to the changes.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    Start taking measurements.
    You might be seeing a different number go down instead of the scale number.

I was going to say the same. If you are trading fat for muscle, your overall weight value may stay the same, while your body fat is dropping and your lean muscle mass is rising.

The scale is just one of many numbers. Muscle is more dense than fat, so you could be losing inches of fat while adding lean muscle mass. On average, muscle is 1.06g/ml volume. Fat is 0.9g/ml volume. This means muscle is 18% more dense than fat.

You will see this change in the loss of inches such as waist, belly, etc. Weight can stay the same while you burn fat and build lean muscle.

Check what has been suggested AND start taking additional measurements.

• anniecate747
    anniecate747 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of these suggestions.. will get a food scale today. I have been using measuring tools, but maybe time to take a step further. How do I open my food diary? I am 37, (not that I'm using that an excuse), but could age be a factor? I am fitting into size 8 jeans and dresses, so I'm already down 3 clothing sizes. Maybe I should just be happy where I am? I just find it so confusing. I am definitely NOT eating back all of the calories I burn. If anything, at the end of the day, it usually says I have 300 or 400 calories left, so I don't think that is the problem, even if it is overestimation... it is a Schwinn eliptical that I have in my home. I don't really have access to weights, and am really not interested in joining a gym. I don't like exercising around other people. Maybe this is just where I am and I have to accept that...?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can open your diary by going to Settings > Diary Settings > and then choose Public.

As we get smaller our bodies need less food to maintain our weight, so if you've lost weight but haven't made any changes to your food plan then it might be time to do so. You can't keep eating at the same levels and expect the same rate of loss.

If you're interested in doing some strength training without a gym, you might check out You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. Both are good routines that just use your body weight instead of gym weights.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of these suggestions.. will get a food scale today. I have been using measuring tools, but maybe time to take a step further. How do I open my food diary? I am 37, (not that I'm using that an excuse), but could age be a factor? I am fitting into size 8 jeans and dresses, so I'm already down 3 clothing sizes. Maybe I should just be happy where I am? I just find it so confusing. I am definitely NOT eating back all of the calories I burn. If anything, at the end of the day, it usually says I have 300 or 400 calories left, so I don't think that is the problem, even if it is overestimation... it is a Schwinn eliptical that I have in my home. I don't really have access to weights, and am really not interested in joining a gym. I don't like exercising around other people. Maybe this is just where I am and I have to accept that...?

Before you make any decisions, get the food scale and make sure your calories are on point.
    Water weight is just a fact of life, for women especially. It's not something you have to do anything about, just something you have to learn how to see past.
    Your goal weight is perfectly acceptable, no reason to "settle" if you don't want to. But ultimately we all have to decide how much precision and thought each additional 5 lbs is worth to us. I have been using a food scale for years now and I find that level of effort acceptable in order to maintain my weight. Others might make a different choice. Be patient and good luck :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    what chart? Would love to see! I have definitely been exercising every day for the past 27 days. I was not doing that before... was only doing about 3 days a week. I just really wanted to kick it up a notch. I will say, I do feel like I look better, and people have really noticed a difference, but I just hate that the scale is not budging... :( I am not a daily weigher... should I be? I am not on any meds currently that cause weight gain. I did just end my cycle two days ago, so could be retaining water from that still? I just don't know... I'm so sad right now :'(

There you go then, that's your most likely answer! Your body is holding on to water for muscle repair. This can affect the scales for a few weeks. Plus you need one rest day at least. Over working your body won't help either.
  • anniecate747
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks, LivingtheLeandream... I think that might be what it is also, seeing as to how I have recently upped my exercise so much. That is what I am reading in several online articles.. I think you are right... :) How many weeks do you think this will last?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think the food scale is not going to make all that huge of a difference. Most of the foods I eat are portioned by cup or have EXACT calories per slice/piece. (cooked quinoa), black beans, non fat greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, wheat bread. When I do eat meats, which is not a lot, they come with weight already on the cut. Salmon, for example, will say on the package at the store where I buy it, how many ounces it is. This is the same with the very small baked chicken strips I eat twice a week (Springer organic). It tells you how many calories per serving. There are VERY few things (none that come to mind) that I eat that don't already tell me exactly how many calories are in them. This is why a food scale seems assinine to me right now. Sorry if that is upsetting, but these foods have become normal to me and I don't see what, other than exercise, has changed. Thanks though.

Food labels are allowed to be off 20% by law. I'm guessing the beans & quinoa are going to be eye-opening. That being said, I really do think it's a combination of factors at work here, but the biggest issue may be that you just need to understand & become more accustomed to weight fluctuations. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think the food scale is not going to make all that huge of a difference. Most of the foods I eat are portioned by cup or have EXACT calories per slice/piece. (cooked quinoa), black beans, non fat greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, wheat bread. When I do eat meats, which is not a lot, they come with weight already on the cut. Salmon, for example, will say on the package at the store where I buy it, how many ounces it is. This is the same with the very small baked chicken strips I eat twice a week (Springer organic). It tells you how many calories per serving. There are VERY few things (none that come to mind) that I eat that don't already tell me exactly how many calories are in them. This is why a food scale seems assinine to me right now. Sorry if that is upsetting, but these foods have become normal to me and I don't see what, other than exercise, has changed. Thanks though.

The food scale will be an eye opener for you if you have been assuming that the info on the label is "exact".

The grams on the label are basically accurate for the number of calories. How many cups/slices/strips are equivalent to the weight is estimated and often WAY off.

For example, lets say the package says there are 4 strips in a serving, a serving is 50g and 100 cals. It's likely when you put those 4 strips on the scale, they won't actually weigh 50g, which means they aren't 100 cals.
  • anniecate747
    Options
    Ok, I will get one, but I still don't think it will be that huge of a difference considering how little I am eating of these things. I am fairly certain it is retention of water from increase of exercise... here's hoping... :(
  • anniecate747
    Options
    I will get a food scale today though! o:)
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

You have to measure even the things that are packaged. I'll just give you an example. I had bought a package of rolls one time. The package said they were 85 grams. I could have assumed they were and logged that. But I threw it on the scale and the roll was 165g!!!! It was like 120 calories more that was it said it was. Never ever assume that just because a label says something is supposed to weigh this much so it has this many calories means that is a true statement. You cannot know that until you put it on a food scale and weigh it for yourself.

ETA: These were bakery rolls, so that's why they were more than 20% off, but the example still applies
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I’m plateauing too...I’ll eat less