HELP! I'm stuck :(

Options

Replies

• DelmiManzanares
    DelmiManzanares Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have been at this same weight for 4 weeks now. I'm following a 1200 calorie diet and working out more than I was a month ago. I'm also drinking a lot more water. It is frustrating to see the scale stuck at the same number.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks Philly and need2move... I just need some encouragement... I don't want to starve myself. I feel like I am already eating the right amount, and don't always even reach the 1300 calorie mark, especially since the elliptical adds at least 400 calories for 40 minutes, sometimes a bit more depending on how hard I go. Shulerjs, maybe you are right about my body getting used to the "new" me... I have just started doing more exercise. Is it possible that I am just gaining muscle mass??? So frustrated... :(

Burn estimates from exercise equipment are notoriously inflated. You should probably only eat back about half of that.

• anniecate747
    anniecate747 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes zyxst, I have been hydrating a LOT... I am a massage therapist, so I am ALWAYS drinking water o:) I weighed myself this morning and my days off are Wed and Thurs, so I don't think it is water retention right now... but there could DEFINITELY be something to this retention of water for muscle repair... Do you think I should switch to exercise every other day? I guess I just got so determined to reach my goal, I thought exercise every day was going to be helpful. Or should I do every day and just do 30 minutes instead of 40? I a just at a loss... I will start doing the measurements though! I feel like I am losing everywhere but my stomach area is being very stubborn... I have been doing crunches using an ab-roller, and leg lifts...
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I would take 10 days at maintenance calories and exercising every other day. You have been stressing your body since December. A maintenance break will likely help your mood, sleep, stress and metabolism. This is not a free-for-all but a planned break. Then come back to it after 10 days and I bet you start seeing success again.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170918222235.htm
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I would be wary about using the elliptical calorie estimates, most magazines that talk about gym machines overestimating calorie burn and put the elliptical as being the worst overestimator. Combine the overestimate with a low amount of calories you start at you might have not much wiggle room between being in a deficit and being close to maintenance.

I usually leave a 100 calorie buffer for the elliptical i.e if the machine says I burn 400 I enter 300. However this is probably person dependent and has been working for me when I was losing weight and now in maintenance.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ToastLemur wrote: »
    Are you drinking any sugar free drinks? apparently those can cause weight gain. :(

This is not true. For some people they can cause hunger, but weight loss comes down to calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks Philly and need2move... I just need some encouragement... I don't want to starve myself. I feel like I am already eating the right amount, and don't always even reach the 1300 calorie mark, especially since the elliptical adds at least 400 calories for 40 minutes, sometimes a bit more depending on how hard I go. Shulerjs, maybe you are right about my body getting used to the "new" me... I have just started doing more exercise. Is it possible that I am just gaining muscle mass??? So frustrated... :(

Do you eat those calories back? Also keep in mind that the cals on the output and in MFP are on the high side, in that 40 mins, if the machine says you burned 400, it may be more like 250-300
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into TDEECalculator.net at both your starting and current weight (guessed random age of 28 for a comparison) and dropping 26lbs results in a TDEE of ~200 fewer calories since there's just less of you to maintain now.

RE: exercise calorie burn, 400 for the elliptical seems high. I've tried numerous heart rate monitors in the past and they've always overestimated calories for me. Try eating only half of your exercise calories and see where that get's you.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just an odd question @anniecate747 , Have you tried to let MFP re-calculate your caloric needs based on your current weight? -- Given that you began at 187lbs and are now at 161lbs, there should be about 100-cals/day difference in your BMR...

Seeing that:
    ... I have kept my diet the EXACT same since I started all of this in December. ...
    , there would be a tiny bit in the BMR change.

Looking strictly from the outside, your recently increased exercise frequency coupled with a likely over-estimation of the caloric burn in that exercise (10-cals/minute for a 161-lb female?) is probably all that you're really experiencing here -- Some of the suggestions to eat-back fewer of your exercise calories may be all you need to see a little more movement on your scale...

... and truly, if the 400-calorie burn for your exercise is too liberal AND you're eating-back 100% of your exercise calories, then reducing your exercise, will also reduce some of your caloric surplus.

If i'm reading all this correctly you've dropped a MASSIVE 26-pounds in just a few weeks at a rate of loss in the 2-lbs/week range), which is totally amazingly awesome... Way to get after all of that and congratulations! -- Now you've come to a halt while maintaining your 1300 cal intake and eating back all of your exercise calories... If all of your math is solid, and you're essentially maintaining weight at this level of intake and exercise, dropping 100 cals of intake for your BMR change, AND eating back about 75% of your exercise calories (another 100-cals/day) could help you regain some of your lost momentum regardless of what else may be going on...

There will be more factors in all of this, since moving from a 2-lb/week loss to 0-lb/week loss is a change of nearly 1000-calories per day, IF this is all body mass and not simply fluid retention. Why not do that tiny 200-cal change and see where you go from here?