Lifting heavy... and gaining a lot of weight!

I'm feeling really disheartened and hoping someone can advise!

I've been pretty consistent with diet/exercise the past couple of years, not loving my body but not letting myself go either, but always in search of a better physique - I started a new weight training programme six weeks ago.

I've made INCREDIBLE gains in my strength! I was feeling really proud and positive (Eg. Chest press from 20kg up to 43kg, Deadlift from 40kg to 100kg, Squat from 20kg to 60kg... getting close to my first pull up etc!) but I made the mistake of stepping onto the scales this morning and I weigh 6kg more!!! That's a KG per week!!

I'm horrified! I have, admittedly been eating more - but I've literally needed to, in order to have the strength to pull so much weight - and it's primarily been good choices, with a strong macro split.

I've been reading various articles, telling me the old cliches (muscle weighing more than fat etc) and most point out that if you look better you shouldn't worry. Only I don't look better, I definitely look 'puffier' - which is not great at all - especially as I'm off to the Caribbean in six weeks time!

I find weight loss really tough - my body is usually a very slow responder - so I'm really gutted to be at this point when I was feeling as though I was making a positive step in my fitness.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or suggestions as to what I should do for a next step. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    are you counting your calories? are you weighing your food? it doesn't sound like it - that would be the place to start.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    What's your goal? To lose weight, or to build muscle/strength? If it's the former, then you need to eat in a deficit, regardless of "needing to, in order to have the strength to pull so much weight." If it's the latter, then carry on.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    How many calories are you eating? Are you using a food scale? How accurate is your logging?
    Without that data, it's going to be hard to say.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Assess your goals and from that determine a calorie intake. Log your calories and exercise. Track your weight. Adjust as needed.
    When you start exercising its so easy to feel like you earned the extra food and the positive reinforcement of lifting more and more will encourage more food. Generally in order to keep strength gains increasing a surplus is required to adequately fuel the workouts but a surplus of food will lead to weight gain. If you want to build muscle carry on until you feel uncomfortable and then consider dieting (cutting) to reduce your body fat % back down and reveal the new muscle generated. If you don't like how you look now consider a small defect to slowly loose the weight and have a minimal impact on your lifting regime and once happy with how you look consider re-composition which is incredibly slow but is good for those of us who struggle with looking "fluffy" and don't like to cut as you eat at maintenance calories while lifting to build muscle very very slowly.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    When starting a new exercise program, especially something intense or rigorous, it's not uncommon to retain water.

Also, judging by your profile images, are your goals realistic? You appear to be at a healthy weight.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/277259-strength-training-cause-water-retention/
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    What's your current height and weight? how many calories are you eating? Are you using a food scale to measure your intake? Something tells me you're just eating more checked your weight and realized you've gained weight.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Always record your food intake. That way, if you have a bad day, you can look back at what you ate & almost always pinpoint where it occurred.

The first time I lost weight in 2015, I was coming off shoulder surgery. I lost almost 50 pounds (started out at 247), but I couldn't wait until I could start lifting again. When I did, I gradually gained weight, some because of the extra muscle, but mostly because of my diet. I ended up at 235 pounds in late January. This time I've taken a new approach.

In addition to eating better & sticking to it, I joined 9Round, a kickboxing workout gym. It only takes 30-35 minutes a workout & it burns a lot more calories than just lifting & it's way more fun than running. I'm down almost 40 pounds (38.3, hope to hit 40 this weekend & at least 50 total before my 50th B-day this year). It still builds muscle & burns fat, but not only is it fun, it's therapeutic. I cannot recommend something like this strongly enough.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    A couple of thoughts.
    • Water retention is common after starting a new workout routine, lifting included. For me, swings tend to be around 3.05 percent (OK, so ditch the "around" there), and that seems similar to what other people report for a weight increase related to water. Can take around six weeks to come off.
    • When you say you're eating more, what are you eating? Are you tracking? Are you weighing and measuring? You may not *need* to eat more, but you're doing it anyway.
    • What are your stats?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Like others have said, some water some fat probably. Congrats on your lifting progress.

With a holiday in 6 weeks, start logging and eating at maintenance, or a little below (up to 250 just to halt any fat gains).

I have just come back from a holiday and stopped lifting the week before I left just so I could drop the water weight in comfort- there is nothing like having to pee every 5 min when on a 9hr flight, you may want to consider doing this.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Like others have said, some water some fat probably. Congrats on your lifting progress.

With a holiday in 6 weeks, start logging and eating at maintenance, or a little below (up to 250 just to halt any fat gains).

I have just come back from a holiday and stopped lifting the week before I left just so I could drop the water weight in comfort- there is nothing like having to pee every 5 min when on a 9hr flight, you may want to consider doing this.

Cheers, h.

oh the peeing every 5 mins is SUCH a pain @middlehaitch

ps hope you had a fab time away on the cruise with plenty of cheeky little cocktails :smiley:

Ruth x
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    That's why a lot of people bulk then cut. It's impossible to only gain muscle when you're eating at a surplus (which you are probably doing).