Lifting heavy... and gaining a lot of weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

You will not be able to make your lifts on a strength program for long if you are not eating a surplus unless you are fat.
    Well not entirely true. Powerlifters compete in weight classes. So if they are at the top of their class in weight, they can't gain more. But many still increase poundage in their lifts without surplusing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You’ve gotta eat less... there are a ton of “heavy lifters” In my gym who are quite heavy females. Based on the science of weight loss I know they are eating too much for their activity. Heavy weights don’t burn calories really, not like cardio does.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    happy_jax wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for so much information!! It’s all really helpful for me.

I am certainly eating more than I am used to... I’m 175cm and weigh (as of this morning) 74kg. I’d like to be under 70kg. I have a largely sedentary job but workout five times a week and also walk our dog. I could probably step up the cardio/HIIT a bit, I haven’t really done that much since I’ve been strength training.

I ordinarily aim for around 1,600 calories which has worked for me - but I’ve been eating nearer 2,000 while training, a little more at weekends (!) But the first two weeks of strength training I ate my usual diet and I was just exhausted all the time (which was especially bad as I also just started a new job!) I’m having at least 40% protein each day. I had the DNA Fit test so I know I’m carb sensitive too... I weigh almost all my food. I probably eat too much fruit but since I like to graze, I think there are worse things I could eat!

I appreciate everyone is different and also that I possibly am simply just eating too much - I was just so horrified when I’ve been feeling so strong and motivated! :(

Those DNA tests are rubbish. Eat the carbs if you want. I feel awful without carbs.