Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar tax in the UK

Options
123457»

Replies

• boberg1239
    boberg1239 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No I am not providing false information. I invite you to read Dr. David Kessler's (former U.S. Surgeon General) book "Fast Carbs, Slow Carbs" where he discusses this and provided references to the scientific data. That is just one source for my statements about empty calories and lack of satiety.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Well,that would be false information - actually,so called empty calories are not addictive and do not literally cause your brain to want more.
    and what gives people a feeling of satiety is very individual.

Sure ,there should be factually accurate campaigns about healthy eating and importance of weight control - as , indeed there have been many already.

With around 75% of the population overweight and obese and only about 6% of the population with what would be considered a healthy metabolism it would be nice to find out why and maybe turn that trend around. What are your thoughts on that.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    More control over what a person wants to eat is concerning. I can see a future based on what is happening today generally speaking where one might not be able to buy certain foods or shop a certain store based on their social credit score. Dairy farmers in Holland don't seem to like the idea either.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Well,that would be false information - actually,so called empty calories are not addictive and do not literally cause your brain to want more.

Sure ,there should be factually accurate campaigns about healthy eating and importance of weight control - as , indeed there have been many already.

With around 75% of the population overweight and obese and only about 6% of the population with what would be considered a healthy metabolism it would be nice to find out why and maybe turn that trend around. What are your thoughts on that.

Food is easily available (often just around) and cheap, so it's not surprising humans tend to overeat. We did not evolve under such conditions. Also, past social restrictions on eating (a general understanding that one ate only at meals, less ready-made food available, less expectation that one would eat between meals for fun or as a way to socialize or to put off work or for comfort) are largely gone, especially in the US.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    boberg1239 wrote: »
    No I am not providing false information. I invite you to read Dr. David Kessler's (former U.S. Surgeon General) book "Fast Carbs, Slow Carbs" where he discusses this and provided references to the scientific data. That is just one source for my statements about empty calories and lack of satiety.

The idea that the same food as are satiating to everyone is indeed false information as is the idea that empty calories are literally addictive.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options

Of course it would be great to turn that around.

Is anyone disputing that?

and mostly I think we do know, in broad terms, why people get overweight - they eat too much because food is readily available and they don't move enough because modern lifestyle
    Is that a mystery to anyone?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Of course it would be great to turn that around.

Is anyone disputing that?

and mostly I think we do know, in broad terms, why people get overweight - they eat too much because food is readily available and they don't move enough because modern lifestyle
    Is that a mystery to anyone?

That's been the premise, no argument here.