Went to a Registered Dietician. WOW!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When my husband was first diagnosed and went to a dietician he was given the same standard diet. The whole thing cost us 600. and his blood sugar went up. It was very frustrating. My current Dr. is exactly the opposit. It is so confusing.

My husband's dietitian has him limited to no more than 50grams of carbs in one setting, preferably with fats/protein/fiber at the same time. (She did not give him a calorie goal.) His A1C readings are great, always improving. YMMV
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Do you believe a Registerd Health Professional or loads of random people on an internet forum who think they are experts ..................... Hmmm I know what one I'd go for
    If someone knew nothing about nutrition that would be the smartest thing to do. On the flip side, only 1 person is at the head of the class and many don't know what they're talking about, but of course that would only be based on an individuals nutritional knowledge......and I believe if someone studies nutrition as a hobby and is fairly nerdy it's easier to spot the snake oil salesmen.:wink:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Recommending a higher carb diet to a non-diabetic patient isn't weird... on the other hand, there is such thing as a straight-C student.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say whether that is right for you because we are not you.

How active are you (sorry if I missed this in your post)? That will determine how successful or unsuccessful you are with 2100 cals. Also whether you are pre-diabetic, diabetic, etc will also affect it. I wouldn't be so quick to take the advice of people on the internet especially ones who are telling you cut carbs. In my experience 30% carbs as a macro never worked for me. I would become twitchy, irritable and lethargic.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My A1C was at 14% 8 months ago, I went (and still go) to a nutritionist and she put me on a 50/30/20 lifestyle with daily exercise. It only took 5 months to crush diabetes and now I have an A1C of 4.8%. I would listen to what the nutritionist tells you to do, or stop wasting your time and money.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. If low-carb diets were the end all be all... all those Atkins/ Southbeach/ whatever diets would work... but they don't. :huh: Try it out... what do you have to lose?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    You must listen to all dietitians, doctors and nutritionists because they are qualified.

At least that's what everyone told me when I made a thread to help people for free.

Look whos laaaaaaaaughing nowwwwwww :---)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy.

I am certainly not qualified to comment on the rest of your post or questions, but are you weighing out your portions? I have a hard time believing that 2oz of chicken is "not even a forkful." 3oz is about the size of a palm.

Meat1-300x240.jpg

Granted that is about 1/3 bigger than you would allow yourself to meet your macros, but still seems like it's significantly more than one forkful. Unless I'm missing something and you just take enormous bites, lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My A1C was at 14% 8 months ago, I went (and still go) to a nutritionist and she put me on a 50/30/20 lifestyle with daily exercise. It only took 5 months to crush diabetes and now I have an A1C of 4.8%. I would listen to what the nutritionist tells you to do, or stop wasting your time and money.

That's great! :flowerforyou:
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Well that's a first. The dietitian doesn't sound like a quack. The calorie recommendation might be off. But, it's impossible to say exactly how many calories a person needs or will lose on anyway, that can only be determined in real life time with experimentation.
  • CorrectionsNurse
    Options
    I think it's really important to remember the dietitian was working with you individually and basing the needs of your current standing. Not being a pre-diabetic, I can see having the carbs is okay, but being pre-hypertensive..I can see the decrease in protein..however, I think maybe more of an explanation as to why and to which type of protein intake. Possibly because people tend to get a lot of protein from chicken/steak and such. Being pre-hypertensive you already putting extra work on your blood vessels and heart...therefore, adding that extra cholesterol from the steaks and such, isn't doing any good. Maybe a suggestion of changing to a protein powder or something because your heart is a muscle and you need the amino acids from that protein....so I think her clarification was needed.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi FatBoy,

I can tell you that I have followed the same plan (45/25/30) (except I modified mine to 45/28/27), and it helped me lose my weight (-257lbs).

Don't be angry at me for saying this...this is just my interpretation....

You said "That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy"

Why would you eat five meals (even small ones) per day?

My interpretation, from the way you write, is that you aren't really ready or committed to a real change. It sounds like you just aren't ready to make a life change. Or maybe are confused by years of conflicting advice.

ARE you ready?

Because if you are, I think you received sound advice, and you should take what you were told as gospel for six months, and see what happens.

I bet you'll be well on your "weigh" down to a healthy weight in that time.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
    Hi all,

I was recently put on high blood pressure pills. I've been fighting borderline hypertension for the last 25 years. I can use to lose around 40-45 pounds and have been on and off MFP for the last 2 years. To make a long story short, I had my Dr. refer me to the Diabetes clinic at the local hospital to see a registered dietician. I'm a bit confused on what she told me to do. I had been on a modest high protein, vegetable, low carb eating plan for a while now. Not losing any weight and eating around 1800-2000 calories a day. That is what MFP has me at for my height and weight. (5'10" 238 pounds). For the most part I am keeping within the different categories, keeping sodium under 1200 a day and struggling to keep sugar around 40 which once again is what MFP has set.

The dietician told me to get 45% of my calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 30% from fat. This is based off 2100 calories per day. Does this sound right to the MFP community? That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy. The other thing that shocked me was this was coming from a diabetic clinic. My father has been a diabetic for over 40 years and they tell him to limit the carbs due to insulin resistance. Once again strange.

Can maybe some of you explain this to me so I can better understand something that I might have missed.
    Thank you for the advice.
    FATBOY235
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think I see what you did there. For 25% of 2100 calories, that gives you 525 calories of protein which is about 131 grams of protein (4 calories per gram). That doesn't necessary convert directly to ounces of meat.

Prime example - say you want a pork chop for dinner. One portion is 131 grams or about 4.5 oz but that chop only has about 32 grams of protein in it. Hell, you could have had a few eggs for breakfast, a yogurt for snack and a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and then have a couple of those chops for dinner and you'd probably still be well within your protein limit for the day.

Meat isn't just protein, it's also sodium and fat and vitamins and even a tiny bit of carbs.
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    I think I see what you did there. For 25% of 2100 calories, that gives you 525 calories of protein which is about 131 grams of protein (4 calories per gram). That doesn't necessary convert directly to ounces of meat.

Prime example - say you want a pork chop for dinner. One portion is 131 grams or about 4.5 oz but that chop only has about 32 grams of protein in it. Hell, you could have had a few eggs for breakfast, a yogurt for snack and a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and then have a couple of those chops for dinner and you'd probably still be well within your protein limit for the day.

Meat isn't just protein, it's also sodium and fat and vitamins and even a tiny bit of carbs.

Pretty good info here, and even if he did allow himself 131g on 5 meals it would be about 26g per meal. I was more blown away by the 2oz of chicken being one bite. I mean, I am well accustomed to the ways of being a good girlfriend, and still... 2oz of chicken... all at once? :noway: Unless I'm still missing something...
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy.

I am certainly not qualified to comment on the rest of your post or questions, but are you weighing out your portions? I have a hard time believing that 2oz of chicken is "not even a forkful." 3oz is about the size of a palm.

Meat1-300x240.jpg

Granted that is about 1/3 bigger than you would allow yourself to meet your macros, but still seems like it's significantly more than one forkful. Unless I'm missing something and you just take enormous bites, lol.

That was the thing that stuck out to me, too.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Meat1-300x240.jpg

I can feel what the OP is saying. I am a big meat eater and to reduce to 2 oz for me would be challenging. It's like telling a person who loves sweets, you can have 2 bites and that's it. If it's that's all I can have, its almost like why bother then?
  • TheSlorax
    Options

Meat1-300x240.jpg

I can feel what the OP is saying. I am a big meat eater and to reduce to 2 oz for me would be challenging. It's like telling a person who loves sweets, you can have 2 bites and that's it. If it's that's all I can have, its almost like why bother then?

Totally get that too so I went along with it at first, and then went back and re-read and decided it was too specific to be ignored. I am pretty sure it's one of three things: the OP's portion sizes are really off, he really WAS just exaggerating, or he eats with oversized utensils and takes huge bites. The suspense is, needless to say, killing me.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You must listen to all dietitians, doctors and nutritionists because they are qualified.

At least that's what everyone told me when I made a thread to help people for free.

Look whos laaaaaaaaughing nowwwwwww :---)
    In reality though you are just some random person off the internet so why should anyone believe what you say above above a health professional who has actually met the person and assessed them.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm going on the assumption that you are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. If that's not the case, then you have the options for more flexibility.

I'm a T2 diabetic, personally, and was medicated for years, but no longer need to take the medicine. One of the first things I did once I was diagnosed was to test my blood sugar extremely frequently, after eating foods. In the morning each day, I'd pick a "new" food, eat it, and then check my blood sugar in intervals afterwards. You could probably do this in a less anal-retentive manner by doing it after certain meals, and seeing how the meal as a whole effects you.

What you'll find is that some foods spike your blood sugar far more readily than other foods, and that it varies from person to person. For me, I could not be on a diet that approached 45% carbohydrate -- unless about 40% of my diet was spinach and cruciferous vegetables, which would be pretty difficult to eat, volume-wise.

So, if you're eating 45% carbs of foods that don't massively spike your blood sugar (per the first experiment), and your blood sugar is still high, you'll likely have to decrease your carbohydrates in order to bring your blood glucose back down. My suggestion, however, would be to not raise protein too high over 30-35% of your diet -- as protein is glucogenic as well, and can raise your blood sugar, albeit at a much slower and more controlled rate than carbohydrates can. Making the difference up with fats works, and helped me with satiety.

The important thing is to log both your food and your blood sugars, and track them. See what works and what doesn't.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That is roughly 132 grams of protein a day. You would have to eat almost 2 pounds of chicken breast to get that many protein grams into your diet a day.

Find another RD. (S)he did a terrible job of explaining to you your meal plan.

And yes, those macros sound just fine. Your RD just isn't very good at explaining how to consume those macros.