Went to a Registered Dietician. WOW!

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would think that if you paid a professional for their opinion, and they gave you a reasonable plan to follow, it would be wise to follow it for at least 3 months and then follow up with them. If you are honest and follow the guidelines she gave and it doesn't work for you, she will likely have suggestions for adapting the diet for your particular needs. I think she gave you a solid place to start and you should log your food and follow her guidelines. If it works, great! If it doesn't, take your MFP food and exercise logs to your next appointment so she can help you to modify your guidelines.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My friend is a dietician--recently finished grad school for it. We have a friend with a severe eating disorder, but my dietician friend said that she's not trained to deal with that. She explained that she's pretty much trained for things like diabetes. She works at a hospital and makes sure patients are on reasonable meal plans per their medical conditions. She's pretty up front about not being a nutritionist in terms of knowing about different types of diets like pale, vegan, etc. I'm not sure who it really makes sense to go to for "expert" advice when we don't know who's really trained and everyone has their own bias. It's almost like you just have to either go with a balance or pick your plan and believe the people who espouse it.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would call the dietitian or go see the dietitian and ask for clarification- it sounds like the dietitian was having an off day and did not explain things clearly? It doesn't sound right to me, but then I'm no dietitian. :laugh:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

25 % isn't too low. I was at 30% and was getting a ton of protein. You are looking at 130 grams of protein a day which is a fair amount.

Was it their advice to have smaller meals? Or is that you preference? Eating fewer meals would give you a larger portion size of protein per meal. Or, if you do have to do 5-6 meals, make one or two without protein or lower protein, then have a larger serving in the other meals.
    [/quote

This- I am currently at 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat and I have a difficult time getting all of my protein in sometimes.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I think that you do need a certain amount of fat and it helps if it is good fat. Avocados, nuts, and certain oils will help you. You can only absorb a certain percentage of protein. Veggies are the biggest proportion of you diet and some of them have carbs so if it allows you to eat all the good veggies then maybe it will work for you. Just stay away from the junk.I do not think everybody is the same.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're aware of the progression of T2D (hazard a guess @ type of dz), in order to keep your blood pressure and weight under control, your blood sugars have to be under control.

The most effective way to do this is to cut starches and sugars. There are many different tactics to fight this disease but you have to do more to effect change.

Here's some homework for you when you feel ready.....Good Luck :flowerforyou:

bloodsugar101.com

tudiabetes.org

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375728086&sr=8-1&keywords=richard+k+bernstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Why are you asking MFP people if the dietitian is correct - they dont know. Try going with her plan for a month and if things arent working talk to her again about making some changes. Most dietitians start with a basic plan and adjust it for the person as things progress.

2. (And more importantly in my opinion) HOW do you manage to make 2oz of protein 1 BITE?? If you can and do, you are eating wrong!!! That much protein is sometimes all I eat at a meal and it still takes me a dozen bites, because MY dietitian stressed the importance of small bites and waiting in between to give your body time to realize the food is there and get that full feeling. You should never be taking huge bites.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was recently put on high blood pressure pills. I've been fighting borderline hypertension for the last 25 years. I can use to lose around 40-45 pounds and have been on and off MFP for the last 2 years. To make a long story short, I had my Dr. refer me to the Diabetes clinic at the local hospital to see a registered dietician. I'm a bit confused on what she told me to do. I had been on a modest high protein, vegetable, low carb eating plan for a while now. Not losing any weight and eating around 1800-2000 calories a day. That is what MFP has me at for my height and weight. (5'10" 238 pounds). For the most part I am keeping within the different categories, keeping sodium under 1200 a day and struggling to keep sugar around 40 which once again is what MFP has set.

The dietician told me to get 45% of my calories from carbs, 25% from protein and 30% from fat. This is based off 2100 calories per day. Does this sound right to the MFP community? That would allow me 2 oz of protein per meal if I were to eat 5 small meals a day. Honestly 2 oz is not really worth it. That's not even a forkful of chicken breast....crazy. The other thing that shocked me was this was coming from a diabetic clinic. My father has been a diabetic for over 40 years and they tell him to limit the carbs due to insulin resistance. Once again strange.

Can maybe some of you explain this to me so I can better understand something that I might have missed.
    Thank you for the advice.
    FATBOY235

Many diabetics have or are at risk for kidney disorders, so high protein is not always safe. For those trying to lose weight, fat is usually limited to reduce calories. That leaves carbs. But, you are correct, diabetics typically are asked to eat lower carbs but often they are simply advised on what type of carbs to eat. Limit sugar and processed grains, stick to whole grains, vegetables, fruits and other high fiber carbs.

Do you have diabetes? If not, and the dietician is aware of this, did you discuss increasing protein with her?
  • ecmorales
    ecmorales Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm also a T2Diabetic and it's easy to misunderstand all the advice we're given, my opinion is that is is due to it being given to us in what the professionals thinks are 'easy to understand', carefully measured bite-sized pieces -- which is not AT ALL user friendly information. Mine is probably not popular advice, but my best advise is to build on the professional opinion and take up some reading yourself (I found prevention.com particularly helpful over the years. If you use their website they have special sections on Diabetes).
    For example, you are right and the Dietician are both right about the carbs: we are supposed to limit our carbs (the complex ones like refined sugars found in processed tasty treats), AND we need a lot of them (like the ones found in vegetables)...see the easy to misunderstand dilemna here? what is a carb? there are different types and these carbs have different impacts on the body, sugar levels and therefore weight gain.
    Protein: hardly seems worth it? I totally get it. I know it seems very small in our over-sized American culture of abundance; but the reality is that style of eating is not required for the demands of the 'average american'...I'm not plowing a field, I'm not running a marathon, 'I'm not outrunning a lion. The question I have learned to ask myself is, how many calories and how much protein do I need to sustain myself for the activities ahead? (not how much sounds good or feels good to eat). This is an important question, because anything I eat that is more than I need will get stored as fat; if I am storing those calories not only am I literally gaining weight, it means I am not losing the weight I am currently trying to lose...One step forward, two-steps back.
    I hope this helps. I know I run the risk of sounding preachey - only wish someone had spelled out the simple truths to me thirty years ago. If you're not one to do the research/reading yourself.....ask more and more questions of the Dietician or find another if they're unwilling or unable to answer.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Why are you asking MFP people if the dietitian is correct - they dont know. Try going with her plan for a month and if things arent working talk to her again about making some changes. Most dietitians start with a basic plan and adjust it for the person as things progress.

2. (And more importantly in my opinion) HOW do you manage to make 2oz of protein 1 BITE?? If you can and do, you are eating wrong!!! That much protein is sometimes all I eat at a meal and it still takes me a dozen bites, because MY dietitian stressed the importance of small bites and waiting in between to give your body time to realize the food is there and get that full feeling. You should never be taking huge bites.

This.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    You must listen to all dietitians, doctors and nutritionists because they are qualified.

At least that's what everyone told me when I made a thread to help people for free.

Look whos laaaaaaaaughing nowwwwwww :---)
    In reality though you are just some random person off the internet so why should anyone believe what you say above above a health professional who has actually met the person and assessed them.

Because I don't need a qualification to be highly educated in a subject. A piece of paper will not determine my intelligence.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Here's something else I think may help. Once your blood sugar is under control, you'll feel less hungry. When mine went crazy, I had this insatiable hunger that plagued me like nobody's business.

It took me 3 months and testing 7-8 times daily to find out what foods spiked me and what I could tolerate but now my blood sugar never goes above 125mg/dl after a meal & stays around 110 and lower otherwise.

Medication helps. Exercise helps. Diet helps. Talking to other diabetics helps. Supplements help too....and though I didn't use insulin, that could help you too. Good luck.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You must listen to all dietitians, doctors and nutritionists because they are qualified.

At least that's what everyone told me when I made a thread to help people for free.

In reality though you are just some random person off the internet so why should anyone believe what you say above above a health professional who has actually met the person and assessed them.

Because I don't need a qualification to be highly educated in a subject. A piece of paper will not determine my intelligence.

"highly educated" is a relative term. Evidenced by the little bit of advice I've seen from you being pretty much horrible.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

"highly educated" is a relative term. Evidenced by the little bit of advice I've seen from you being pretty much horrible.

I've never given out one bit of bad information in all of my current 635 posts, but good one. I get it, you're old and live in a belief system of the 80's or something :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

In My Opinion I've never given out one bit of bad information in all of my current 635 posts, but good one. I get it, you're old and live in a belief system of the 80's or something :)

FTFY
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

IMO, I've never given out one bit of bad information in all of my current 635 posts, but good one. I get it, you're old and live in a belief system of the 80's or something :)

FTFY

No, not in my opinion. I have just never given out bad advice, to anyone. It isn't up for discussion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IMO, I've never given out one bit of bad information in all of my current 635 posts, but good one. I get it, you're old and live in a belief system of the 80's or something :)

FTFY

No, not in my opinion. I have just never given out bad advice, to anyone. It isn't up for discussion.

I disagree. I am not up for a discussion either.

"the person who knows everything has a lot to learn".
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

FTFY

QFT
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

FTFY

I have never claimed to know everything, I've claimed to say any advice I give will not effect peoples health or result in injuries. In every topic I made, I also stated I do not know everything.

Have a nice day! :)