OMAD works

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I'm glad you found something that works for you. My brother is all about OMAD too, he's been rather successful with it. It would not work for me, I start getting clammy and dizzy if I skip meals, also 1500 calories would not be enough for me to maintain. I do enjoy saving extra calories for drinks with friends once a week too though!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Congrats on finding what works for you. It doesn't work for me. I just can't get my nutrition right on it, especially protein. It gets stressful when the day is over and I'm only at 20 or so grams of protein then have to stuff my face with things I don't like to get at least to the bare minimum. I do it occasionally when I know I'm going out, and because it's occasional, I'm not as worried about nutrition. As a daily thing, though, not the best option for me.

Yes! That's what I was talking about earlier and no one who's doing it has addressed. How do you eat that much protein in one meal?? I could totally knock out my daily calories with steak finger basket and Blizzard from Dairy Queen, but my nutrition is going to suck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    A couple of boiled eggs and a pepperoni stick as my appetizer, steak/chicken/lamb/pork as my main course(with salad and veg), protein shake as dessert with nut butter, fruit, more veg, and maybe more egg whites. I easily get 90-120gm protein in a 2 hour time frame with many different meal variations. It just takes planning.

Yes, some can make it work, it's just not for me. Eggs cause me issues and I don't like meat. My max tolerable chicken is about 80 grams, any more than that and I feel robbed, as if chicken is syphoning valuable calories that I would rather spend on something else. If I'm doing one meal it better be an amazing meal, not a hodgepodge of protein foods I don't like much. Again, this is just me.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    A couple of boiled eggs and a pepperoni stick as my appetizer, steak/chicken/lamb/pork as my main course(with salad and veg), protein shake as dessert with nut butter, fruit, more veg, and maybe more egg whites. I easily get 90-120gm protein in a 2 hour time frame with many different meal variations. It just takes planning.

Yes, some can make it work, it's just not for me. Eggs cause me issues and I don't like meat. My max tolerable chicken is about 80 grams, any more than that and I feel robbed, as if chicken is syphoning valuable calories that I would rather spend on something else. If I'm doing one meal it better be an amazing meal, not a hodgepodge of protein foods I don't like much. Again, this is just me.

That makes sense then. I am a meat eater. I cannot imagine eating Keto or OMAD if you don’t enjoy meat and eggs. I have always loved both, top it up with Greek yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese and I am golden. I throw veggies in just for my micros but still prefer the veggies over fruit. I rarely have to worry about protein levels unless someone else is responsible for food prep or I am out and about and haven’t planned well.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    31shines wrote: »

That makes sense then. I am a meat eater. I cannot imagine eating Keto or OMAD if you don’t enjoy meat and eggs. I have always loved both, top it up with Greek yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese and I am golden. I throw veggies in just for my micros but still prefer the veggies over fruit. I rarely have to worry about protein levels unless someone else is responsible for food prep or I am out and about and haven’t planned well.

Same here. I always get my protein. I keep a bag of bacon in the fridge that I munch on while cooking dinner. I love bacon lol

What is your protein goal per day. At 150g, I can't see how I'd do it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member

That makes sense. Especially if you are eating mainly protein and stretching it out over 2 hours.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member
    I am three pounds down in two weeks doing intermittent fasting...I do either an 8 or 6 hour eating window. Love it...I wish I had done this years ago. So easy and practical. Funny thing is I know a lot of people that don't have weight issues and this is something that they just do routinely and they are not trying to lose weight. My sister will often delay or skip breakfast as well she does not eat after supper. Search on youtube Dr. Mike and fasting, he is awesome!

I am not interested in counting calories/points/journaling everything I eat, etc. and the controlling the hours when I can eat is huge and is helping me immensely. I still eat the things I love such as chips, chocolate but in moderation.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I do a modified 14/10 eating window. Nothing magical about it. I just find that by pushing off breakfast, I don't get as hungry. If OMAD works for you my dude, one a day away! I would just not seriously think you maintain on 1500 MEASURED calories a day. Unless, you are just super inactive and if you are, best of luck maintaining your loss. Your body will do some sneaky "kitten" to you to make you regain and exercise is one way of fighting back. As far as some one not being able to put away enough protein at one meal. I can quit literally put away 16 oz of chicken breast in a sitting. The carbs would be an issue for me, unless I added tons of sugar. Best of luck man.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Congrats, OP! I'm glad you've found something that's working for you.

Factoring in your extra meals, you're probably maintaining on about 2000 a day (when it's averaged out for the week).

To get 1500, did you just multiply your desired weight by 10? That'll give you a figure that's too low. Fortunately you're not really eating that low when all is taken into account, so it's all good. ;)

I think I could find the OMAD lifestyle enjoyable on most days too, but I would probably need to define "meal" broadly as in a 1 or 2 hour eating window.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Was taught and experience bore it out, that small regular meals are the best way to prevent the peaks and valleys of blood sugar. As a diabetic. OMAD wreaks havoc to that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Was taught and experience bore it out, that small regular meals are the best way to prevent the peaks and valleys of blood sugar. As a diabetic. OMAD wreaks havoc to that.

I think it depends on what you are eating. If one is eating 150+g of carbs a day, then eating it all at once would spike BG a lot. I agree with you there. But, if one eats very LCHF, then BG should not rise a lot.

Why would that make any difference if it is only once per day? It'll spike, come back down and be low for most of every 24 hours. If one is not diabetic, what the big deal?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

I have read about how farmers' breakfasts have caused problems with diabetes that was often undetected before. It was (is?) common practice for farmers to eat huge breakfasts and then spend all day in the field without stopping to eat another meal and have a late dinner that was lighter than the breakfast. You still see the "farmer's breakfast" at restaurants and it will generally be pretty much everything - eggs, sausage, ham, grits, hash browns, biscuits and pancakes with plenty of butter/syrup/honey/jam and maybe a big glass of OJ.