What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

So far, mine is something I'm sure I had heard at least once before in my life but couldn't tell you when or from who, but it's something I came to realise myself in the last few weeks which is that "Dedication trumps motivation".
I know it's cheesey, but for me it's so true! Since going back to gym properly as of December I've had a several people in my life say to me, especially in the last couple of weeks, something along the lines of "wow you're so motivated" or ask "how are you so motivated?" and I have to be perfectly honest... *I'm not!*
I'm constantly complaining that I have no motivation to get my butt in to the gym, especially on Saturdays, but somehow I end up there. Why? Because *dedication* trumps motivation and now (because I was dedicated and kept going even when I didn't want to) gym has been amazing for my mental health. For me being able to zone out from everything else for 45-90 minutes 4-6 times a week has been a godsend. Day to day I have experienced so much less anxiety since making the gym part of my regular weekly routine again.
By no means do you need to get into the gym to be healthy, that's just my personal goal, but I think this mindset applies to anything you want it to, eating (or not eating) certain foods, going for a walk, practicing self love or mindfulness, taking care of yourself, whatever it is... don't look for motivation, because motivation is fleeting, instead strive for dedication and you'll find stronger reasons to continue!

What's advice have you heard or do you have to give?

Replies

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Be honest with yourself and listen to your emotions.