How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    5'11" tall, currently weight in the 240s, started at 265 14 Feb. Pre-diabetic/T2 diabetes suspected. Assigned a 2250 calorie/day diet. Not more than 225g carbs/day. The other 60% of my diet can come from fat and protein.

I usually stay between 1800-2000 calories, and don't eat back the 500-1000 calories burned in the gym or on the bike.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It just depends - anywhere from 1200-1800. It depends on how hungry I am and how calorie dense my food is for that day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    1400 before exercise. I'm in maintenance, but I'm very short and I have a sedentary job.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    1200-1400.. sedentary life
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    A pet peeve of mine when comparing calorie intakes...

No one knows for sure how many calories they are eating. Some people's estimates are more precise than other, but everyone is just estimating. So my 1800 cals per day may be very very different from someone else's 1800.

Very true

Even if we are weighing all of our food? I used to make estimates, but got a tip from a chef to weigh everything, so I do. I don’t think I make any estimates. Once I began doing this, I steadily lost. There is wide variety of weights In avocados, apples, even mandarins...
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    A pet peeve of mine when comparing calorie intakes...

No one knows for sure how many calories they are eating. Some people's estimates are more precise than other, but everyone is just estimating. So my 1800 cals per day may be very very different from someone else's 1800.

Very true

Even if we are weighing all of our food? I used to make estimates, but got a tip from a chef to weigh everything, so I do. I don’t think I make any estimates. Once I began doing this, I steadily lost. There is wide variety of weights In avocados, apples, even mandarins...

I weigh nearly everything, but that still doesn't guarantee calories. Fruit/veggie calories by gram is an average. Sometimes you get really sweet fruit and there really is more sugar. Meat is also an average. They are usually pretty reasonable averages, but not always; some chicken is soaked/injected with salty water. Fat content varies. When you eat packaged food, you have to trust a label that can be 20% off and still be within regulations.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I bounce around, trying to figure out maintenance and I walk a lot. I think around 2000 is right, but the last few days I am going a little lower trying the give myself a bigger cushion.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Around 1400-1500.

I'm "sort of" in maintenance, sedentary, but still have my MFP set to lose 0.5 lb per week, which I don't...I've lost 1 lb per month since Christmas but I was up about 6 lb from holiday eating.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    1200 to 1600
    short
    old
    female
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    To maintain my usual weight, usually 1300-2200 a day, averaging over the long-term in the 1700's. (I gain at that average though if I become very sedentary. I likely need to stick to a 1500 calorie average during my extreme sloth phases.)

To lose, averaging out in the 1300's for the week gives me a loss of about 3 pounds a month.

I'm very short.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The tracker has my goal at 1840 which is really low for me since I’m very active, I’m female 5’11.5” and about 149. I average closer to 2000.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking less than 1000 but still gaining - too low for me to close my diary, ah well a problem I'm having to work though.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well done, and not trying be envious, but really you are doing well - hope you get to your goal weight.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    MFP says it should have been 1200, I upped it to 1300. Im feeling ok with that amount.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    2500 - 2600 maintenance and 2000 - 2100 to lose around a pound per week.
    Female, 40s, 5 foot 5, 170ish pounds. Fairly active and I lift heavy 3 times per week.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My base to lose 1/2 lb per week is 1400 before exercise. However, I generally get 2-3 hours of exercise daily (I shoot for a 2-hour walk. Three days a week, I strength train) and I eat back half of those exercise calories. So, for example, today I had slightly over 1800 (2 hour 35 minute walk, 50 minute upper body dumbbell workout, plus 5 minutes warm-up... It adds up to more calories.)