How many calories do you eat a day?

Replies

• Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Currently at 1280 (increased from 1220), losing at a rate of around 1-2 lbs a month.
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    I am at 1200 right now. Trying to lose.

Me too me duck .......I've lost 23 lbs since 17th Jan......loads more to go but a bit at a time!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    3000-3300 range for me. 6'2" 180lbs, 13500 steps a day, some light yoga 5 heavy lifting days, slllloooowwwly bulking, 3 short sprint sessions a week. Work as a nurse.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I eat about 2200-2300 a day, which is maintenance for me. I'm 5'8" 120-125 lbs with a sedentary job but am somewhat active with cardio and strength training.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    5'1" and 139lbs. Losing on 2070 while breastfeeding an almost one year old. Not sure what my maintenance calories are, but they're likely more.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My fitness pal suggests I eat 1400 calories per day to lose 1/2 lb a week. I am super strict on measuring and use a scale for everything. After one month, I have lost 1 lb. I am always hungry too. Pretty discouraging.

Being hungry all the time definitley doesn't sound like something's right. Do you know what keeps you full longer? (Like fat and protein?) If so, I would eat more fillimg foods and try to knock out foods that don't give you energy all that much. Helped with me a lot.

I know. I try to eat more protein and fiber rich foods. I try to eat eggs in the morning most days . I'm not a big meat eater although I do eat it most days. The number of calories is just hard to be full on for me.

You should check ou the Volume Eaters Thread.. tons of great ideas for eating more and filling up on less calories. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    VanaMaria wrote: »
    Usually around 1200. Losing about 2lbs/week.pretty active also

That's not good unless you're obese and even then, health wise, you're not doing yourself any favors.

How do you know that? I cut at about 1200, being pretty active as well. Some of us who are smaller in height and weight actually maintain at around 1500, so being in the 1200 range is necessary for some people to lose weight.

How small in height and weight? If you are active, I wouldn’t think your TDEE would be 1500. I’m 5’2 and 118 and my maintenance cals are around 2200 with moderate activity.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    1450 net. This works out to an average daily intake of about 1700-1800 (sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on my activity level) to lose about 1 pound a week.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    1200 a day as I'm 5.1. Have consistently been losing. Hope when I get to maintenance I get more calories. Have lost 23 pounds so far sine Jan and just 9 pounds to go for maintenance.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018

That's not good unless you're obese and even then, health wise, you're not doing yourself any favors.

How do you know that? I cut at about 1200, being pretty active as well. Some of us who are smaller in height and weight actually maintain at around 1500, so being in the 1200 range is necessary for some people to lose weight.

Because losing 2 lbs per week is aggressive unless you're very short, sedentary with a lot of weight to lose...you do not fit that profile at all. You may be short as you say, but losing 2 lbs per week is no good for your health, you're basically eating muscles away.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I am 4'11, weigh around 95 pounds, burn around 500 calories a day in exercise and eat 2000ish calories for maintenance.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member

Because losing 2 lbs per week is aggressive unless you're very short, sedentary with a lot of weight to lose...you do not fit that profile at all. You may be short as you say, but losing 2 lbs per week is no good for your health, you're basically eating muscles away.

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me, or the first poster VanaMaria. but yes I agree though, 2 lb a week is too aggressive for her based on her last profile picture, but that could have been an old photo for all we know and maybe her stats actually do put her at obese.
    If you are referring to me, I never said I cut at 1200 to lose 2lbs a week. I'm not an idiot. At my stats, and from personal experience, on an average day, I maintain at about 1500-1500 calories, so it takes a 1200 calories diet to lose 1/2 pound a week, with slight room for error. That's of course if I'm not lifting or walking a ton.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    1500-1600 to lose weight
  • Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    edited April 2018
    2200~ net calories for weight loss
    2700~ net calories for TDEE
    5'9" athletic build
    desk job and I log 6 workouts moderate to high intensity a week
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me, or the first poster VanaMaria. but yes I agree though, 2 lb a week is too aggressive for her based on her last profile picture, but that could have been an old photo for all we know and maybe her stats actually do put her at obese.
    If you are referring to me, I never said I cut at 1200 to lose 2lbs a week. I'm not an idiot. At my stats, and from personal experience, on an average day, I maintain at about 1500-1500 calories, so it takes a 1200 calories diet to lose 1/2 pound a week, with slight room for error. That's of course if I'm not lifting or walking a ton.
    Sorry, I got the wrong person, my message was directed to that person who eats 1200 calories, doing all kinds of activities and I thought it was you for some reason.
  • marinanyx2012
    marinanyx2012 Posts: 2 Member
    went waay overboard with two pot pies (800 calories!) and spinach salad with light french dressing (dressing even it is light has tons of calories). also drank many beers since I am depressed. total = 1588
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    I try and eat about 3200 everyday
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2018
    My TDEE is 1600-3000+. My daily calories are different. They range from 700-3,000. I don't see a point in forcing myself to eat the same number of calories daily. That's going against my body's natural appetite fluctuation. I use weekly calories.