No "S" Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I like the other 'S' diet: The Sooner you Stop with the Silly fad diets and establish a consistent calorie deficit, the Sooner you'll be Successful.[/quote]

You're my spirit animal.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like the D.A.Y. Diet, restrictions on types of food except on days that end with DAY
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OP 100 lbs is awesome yeah you! Do you think the S diet is sustainable? I would think you can keep doing what you have been so far.
    You'll get those last 20 lbs off
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I feel a little guilty because I think I'm the one who mentioned The No S Diet in one of your other threads. Double guilty because people seem to think of it as a fad, when it's nothing more than a normal, traditional eating pattern. And I honestly didn't think it was possible to get it so totally and completely wrong.

Eating regular meals should help you stick to an appropriate calorie target, because eating at meals and only at meals, and no seconds, for most people means not overeating. You can still count calories, and if you struggle with weight/portion control, it's probably a good idea, at least in the beginning, until you get a better understanding of what normal portions look like.

What "results" are you referring to? Are you measuring your blood glucose through the day?

You don't "shock" your body into weightloss. The last pounds are slow, so you need patience and accuracy, and if you're eating back exercise calories, you're probably overestimating too.

and...
    jungefrau wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this is a "fad diet." It sounds very normal. Don't eat snacks, don't eat sweets, and don't go back for seconds except for the weekend when you can have a cupcake or ice cream. How is that a fad??

seem very good advice to me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Yes i think the basis of the S plan sounds reasonable enough- ie No sweets, no snacks, no seconds except on weekends.
    The plan does not mean no S starting foods

If one tended to eat seconds one didnt need and ate a lot of calories in snacks and sweets, then addressing this, whilst still leaving room for treats on occasion ie weekends, could be an easy way to create a calorie deficit.
    and some people dont like calorie counting and like easy methods - nothing wrong with that.

Of course, like all plans, one has to adhere to the intention of the plan - not deliberately eat huge high calorie meals or pig out on seconds, snacks, sweets on weekends blowing your weekly progress and still expect it to work.

So, yes, basically good advice - or at least something reasonable to consider

HOWEVER - OP has already lost 100lb and only has last 15 - 20 to go.

Probably needs a tighter method at this point.
    and whatever you have been doing to lose the 100 i would stick with - just make sure you are doing it tightly and expect progress to be slower now.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Apart from snacks, I do this anyway, I don't eat sweets or go back for seconds. And what's wrong with snacks exactly?

(I should add I'm from the UK and in the UK we call candy sweets)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    additionally whats wrong with seconds or sweets ?

Nothing but on the "S" diet you would call them bonus portions and non-tarts.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with seconds snacks or sweets - but i can see that for many people cutting these things out would create a calorie deficit - so, easy way to cut calories without counting calories.

and for many people without compromising their nutrition - since sweets and snacks tend to be less nutritious foods for many people, and no seconds just cuts down on portion sizes.

having relaxed rule on weekends means it isnt too restricitive and people dont feel they are forgoing sweets or snacks altogether and thus are more likely to adhere to it..

and giving it a catchy name helps it get out there and people remember it.

I havent followed it myself - but it does seem reasonable and easy to follow strategy to me.

Some people seem to dismiss any method that isnt calorie counting without actually considering the pros and cons of it.

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I had to look this up. No S can mean anything: no salt, no steak. No succotash. No naughties. No side-lying clams. No *kitten*.

It's just another way of *maybe* creating a deficit. Provided you don't Stuff Sugar on Saturdays to compensate.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    I had to look this up. No S can mean anything: no salt, no steak. No succotash. No naughties. No side-lying clams. No *kitten*.

It's just another way of *maybe* creating a deficit. Provided you don't Stuff Sugar on Saturdays to compensate.

But it doesnt mean that - the no S diet means no sweets, no snacks, no seconds except on Saturdays and Sundays.

It doesnt mean no S starting foods.

and of course it is just another way of creating a deficit - all viable plans are - so of course it won't work if you dont follow the intention of the plan, like if you stuff yourself on Saturdays.

If we are going to discuss diet strategies, lets discuss what they really are.

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

But it doesnt mean that - the no S diet means no sweets, no snacks, no seconds except on Saturdays and Sundays.

and of course it is just another way of creating a deficit - all viable plans are - so of course it won't work if you dont follow the intention of the plan, like if you stuff yourself on Saturdays.

Yup. As I said, I looked it up (also read your previous comments - thanks for those), hence the last sentence. The „mean anything” comment was addressed to the OP, who didn't take the time to provide an explanation, inviting my imagination to roam freely.

These plans are seductive in their simplicity, although nothing is simpler than CICO. They're good enough if you understand the end game („strategy” if you will), but can backfire otherwise. It's easy to wipe out a Mo-Fri deficit on weekends.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Yup. As I said, I looked it up (also read your previous comments - thanks for those), hence the last sentence. The „mean anything” comment was addressed to the OP, who didn't take the time to provide an explanation, inviting my imagination to roam freely.

These plans are seductive in their simplicity, although nothing is simpler than CICO. They're good enough if you understand the end game („strategy” if you will), but can backfire otherwise. It's easy to wipe out a Mo-Fri deficit on weekends.

Or you could not even create a deficit in the first place on this.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    That's true steven - you could not.

But for many people it will be a simple way to do so

Sabatenine - CICO is not a diet strategy.

If you mean calorie counting - no I dont think nothing is simpler. I think for many people it is tedious and difficult. Or at least they perceive it to be so and dont want to try it. - hence an easier simplified strategy can be better for them.

and yes it only works if you understand the strategy - ie how it creates a deficit.

Reading the authors words he does explain this - and specifically talks about not derailing it by going silly on weekends or overloading your plate so you get it all in first serve.

I dont agree with everything he says and I am quite happy calorie counting - but I do think the basic strategy is quite sound.