Unusual food combos that replace other things

I had cold cooked green beans as a dipper for hummus instead of bread, or chips. The crispness of the bean had a similar snap of a chip, and the green bean is relatively tasteless so the hummus really comes through.

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    edited April 2018
    I use celery as the vehicle for all my favorite dips (ranch dip, buffalo chicken dip etc). I may have to try green beans now! Celery isn’t really unusual either!

I’m curious to see what other people say though!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Nothing new, but zoodles in place of spaghetti. They don't have the same consistency, but everything else about them makes them go fine with pasta sauce and Parmesan, at least for me. Sometimes I'll have that as a side, along with a smaller portion of pasta than I would normally have.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I love spaghetti squash in lieu of real pasta.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    tuna salad and celery. idk if it's odd
  • aligazali3497
    aligazali3497 Posts: 23 Member
    Lettuce instead of rice.
    Well, I still have rice just less of a portion just lettuce. This makes me feel like I have a lot more rice then I really do. I do this with both fish and chicken, not steak.
    This helped me with my biggest hurdle, how much rice I eat :D (700 Cals a day...)
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    Not very unusual foods, but it's different (and yummy). I love chicken salad sandwiches, but chicken salad can be high calorie/fat so to cut calories somewhere I use celery sticks as a spoon to eat it, instead of making a sandwich. So I get a bite of chicken salad & celery each time. It's quite good!

I do this exact thing with carrots. It's so yummy and it gives a great crunch. Same with tuna salad
  • plythacur
    plythacur Posts: 32 Member
    I guess I’ve always eaten hummus and dips with veggies, so that one isn’t too odd to me. I add sautéed mushrooms and/or beets to Italian red meat sauces to bulk them up and sneak in some extra veggies. Shirataki noodles instead of ramen noodles in soup. Sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of mayo in chicken salad, artichoke dip, etc. Apple slices instead of crackers for cheese.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Chicken salad on apple slices
    Fruit crisp with very little crisp for dessert instead of cake, pie, cobbler
  • 2fine1
    2fine1 Posts: 2 Member
    Great substitutes for traditional pasta include green lentil or black bean pastas. I use the brand name "Tolerant" and have found them excellent! Each one is organic and loaded with protein and fiber.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I add black beans to ground beef or white beans to chicken when I'm making tacos and enchiladas. Not necessarily because the calories are way less, but for more filling fiber.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    I recently saw an idea to bake pepperoni in the broiler to make pepperoni chips. I tried it with my turkey pepperoni and it turned out delish! Chips are my #1 weakness, so I'm always looking for something crunchy to fill that hole. I don't like raw veggies so they don't work for me.

Also, I got sick of my local supermarkets never stocking non-dairy yogurt because I like that with fruit and nuts for breakfast. So this morning I pureed a banana with some peanut butter and a little almond milk. It was close to the consistency of yogurt and I topped it with nuts. It was good but not great--I'll keep experimenting :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Being gluten free, I have gotten pretty good at this. I think my most creative was using sliced polenta (aka mush) from a tube in place of bread for an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. I have also made sandwiches using roasted sliced eggplant.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I recently saw an idea to bake pepperoni in the broiler to make pepperoni chips. I tried it with my turkey pepperoni and it turned out delish! Chips are my #1 weakness, so I'm always looking for something crunchy to fill that hole. I don't like raw veggies so they don't work for me.

Also, I got sick of my local supermarkets never stocking non-dairy yogurt because I like that with fruit and nuts for breakfast. So this morning I pureed a banana with some peanut butter and a little almond milk. It was close to the consistency of yogurt and I topped it with nuts. It was good but not great--I'll keep experimenting :)

You should try chicaronnes if you like doing this
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Nori wraps instead of bread is bombbbb during a cut. The saltiness goes well when stuffed with avocado and veggies