Keto diet and kids?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I would not alter your children's diet in an extreme way without research and talking to their doctor.
    http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/ResourceCentres/Epilepsy/TreatmentofEpilepsy/DietaryTherapies/Pages/Ketogenic-Diet.aspx
    https://childrensnational.org/choose-childrens/conditions-and-treatments/brain--nervous-system/ketogenic-diet

Your husband and you can try out any diet you want without it being a family project. My parents did some diets when I was a kid that we all had to suffer through so I am kind of against making the whole family change especially when you can lose weight eating any diet as long as the calories are right.

If you want to make one shared meal a day all keto and then feed the kids normally the rest of the day maybe that would be a compromise.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Just because someone eats keto doesn't automatically mean they will lose weight or be healthy.
    Keto can be good for people with certain medical conditions. Keto isn't the magical super way of eating that people make it out to be.
    If you brother in law lost weight it was because he created a calorie deficit, not just because he ate keto.
    I'd suggest talking to your kids doctors and tell them that your husband wants them to eat a keto diet.
    I would not suggest it personally. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to the newest fad of the week. Instead I'd try to teach them about moderation and portion control. I'd teach them about how treats are okay but in moderation and I'd show them what a healthy well balanced diet is.
    I wouldn't want them to believe the misinformation that runs rampantly around here.
    It sounds like your husband might not truly understand the facts.

I agree with all of this and I do intend to talk to their Dr at their next appointment in a few weeks (can't get in sooner or I would).

Good. You are doing the right thing here.
    Maybe in the time being start printing out some of your own research so you can discuss it with him. You could prove to him that Fung and the like are quacks and are a joke amongst the fitness and healthy lifestyle communities. Maybe once he sees the hype for himself, maybe he'll understand your point of view.

It's possible but he's a very stubborn man and once he gets it in his head he wants to do something there is little to change his mind

I know people like that. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Just know you are doing the right thing by encouraging a healthy well balanced diet for your kids. Fight for what you believe in and prove him wrong.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What's your husband motivation for wanting the kids to adhere to the same diet as you guys? Is it for simplicity - not having to make multiple meals/food items? Is it because he feels he might be tempted if kids were eating butter noodles while you guys are eating mashed cauliflower? Does he think they need to lose weight? Does he think there will be health benefits for the kids, ie has he succumbed to the "carbs are the debil OMG NO!!!!" mentality that many diet zealots (regardless of diet choice) fall victim to?
  • haalastar846
    haalastar846 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I would not alter your children's diet in an extreme way without research and talking to their doctor.
    http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/ResourceCentres/Epilepsy/TreatmentofEpilepsy/DietaryTherapies/Pages/Ketogenic-Diet.aspx
    https://childrensnational.org/choose-childrens/conditions-and-treatments/brain--nervous-system/ketogenic-diet

Your husband and you can try out any diet you want without it being a family project. My parents did some diets when I was a kid that we all had to suffer through so I am kind of against making the whole family change especially when you can lose weight eating any diet as long as the calories are right.

If you want to make one shared meal a day all keto and then feed the kids normally the rest of the day maybe that would be a compromise.

Having had to suffer through my parents on diets is exactly why I don't want a severally strict diet. It sucked.
  • haalastar846
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Just because someone eats keto doesn't automatically mean they will lose weight or be healthy.
    Keto can be good for people with certain medical conditions. Keto isn't the magical super way of eating that people make it out to be.
    If you brother in law lost weight it was because he created a calorie deficit, not just because he ate keto.
    I'd suggest talking to your kids doctors and tell them that your husband wants them to eat a keto diet.
    I would not suggest it personally. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to the newest fad of the week. Instead I'd try to teach them about moderation and portion control. I'd teach them about how treats are okay but in moderation and I'd show them what a healthy well balanced diet is.
    I wouldn't want them to believe the misinformation that runs rampantly around here.
    It sounds like your husband might not truly understand the facts.

I agree with all of this and I do intend to talk to their Dr at their next appointment in a few weeks (can't get in sooner or I would).

Good. You are doing the right thing here.
    Maybe in the time being start printing out some of your own research so you can discuss it with him. You could prove to him that Fung and the like are quacks and are a joke amongst the fitness and healthy lifestyle communities. Maybe once he sees the hype for himself, maybe he'll understand your point of view.

It's possible but he's a very stubborn man and once he gets it in his head he wants to do something there is little to change his mind

I know people like that. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Just know you are doing the right thing by encouraging a healthy well balanced diet for your kids. Fight for what you believe in and prove him wrong.

Thank you for your support
  • haalastar846
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What's your husband motivation for wanting the kids to adhere to the same diet as you guys? Is it for simplicity - not having to make multiple meals/food items? Is it because he feels he might be tempted if kids were eating butter noodles while you guys are eating mashed cauliflower? Does he think they need to lose weight? Does he think there will be health benefits for the kids, ie has he succumbed to the "carbs are the debil OMG NO!!!!" mentality that many diet zealots (regardless of diet choice) fall victim to?

I honestly have no idea. Other than when I told him I wasn't going to be as strict and he replied with well thanks for the support is all I have as to the why.