Booo...back on the bus

Options

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    This time I seemed to stop losing at 129 when my goal was 125 (5’ 2”). Now, 8 months later, I’m still at 129 (+/- 2#). But I never changed any settings. I found if I was in weight loss mode most of the time, I could absorb the slips that come with family, friends, holidays, and socializing. The last time I hit my goal I’d started regaining because “I’d made it” after a few months and stopped even logging onto mfp. This time I’m just doing what I did before, with less logging on routine days

This actually sounds like the best plan for me too! Maintenance was just too tough
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm walking to the bus stop contemplating whether or not I want to get on. Meaning...I've slid, I've gained, I know what I need to do, and I'm just dragging my feet (almost literally!) and not doing it. Maybe this will be one of the kicks I'll need to climb onto the first bus that comes along instead of waiting for the next...and the next...

I feel your pain. I hit my goal weight in May 2014 after losing 70 pounds over a year and a half. I maintained within a few pounds for about a year, but then solidly put on 10 pounds (I know exactly how). At 5'9" tall, I couldn't really tell where the 10 pounds went to, so I decided I would keep my new weight for maintenance. I stayed there until the last month or so when along came another 8 pounds (not sure why this time) and I'm feeling the difference in my clothes. This morning, I bit the bullet and entered my new weight on MFP (for a while I thought if I didn't enter it, it wasn't real) and set a goal to lose. MFP gave me 1250 calories per day before exercise calories. I know what I need to do, but part of me feels rather resentful for having to give up some of my indulgences yet again.

@forevermaryb yup yup yup...I'm RIGHT BEHIND YOU....I have almost the exact same stats: lost 70, maintained, I've put back on about 15-20 (I haven't even weighed myself in 3 months, so guessing), and I'm 5'10". I give you great kudos for ENTERING YOUR NEW WEIGHT, and think that is something I'm going to do first thing tomorrow morning (breakfast is in me and I'm away from my house and scale until this evening). That is a YUUUUUGE step, it really gets you mentally, doesn't it? THANK YOU for posting!

and @KelGen02, you got this. Let's do it!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm "back on the bus" but instead of "boo" how about a "yay!" -- I spent decades (just re-reading some old lists/journal entries I've kept throughout the years -- they ALL start with "lose 30 lbs") trying -- and yet, for some unknown reason, in 2016, something clicked. I was approaching 60, and I suppose that was it, yet it doesn't feel like that was all it was -- I usually credit MFP for giving me the bus -- but I caught the ride -- and every damn time I need it, I know where to catch it, so YAY! I am 5'3", currently at 128, but had a low of 120. Weight when I started in 2016 was 152, but it HAS been as high as 198... so I KNOW I can maintain this -- yes, vigilance is the word! I was 130-132 over the holidays, and YAY -- because of MFP I know I can get back to 120. Also, I've got muscles and, thanks to power yoga, abs! This is real, and it's hard, and I don't want to lose those 30 (or more) lbs. again, so YAY for THIS BUS!! :smile:

Totally agree with this. The bus is the tool we have learned and it's a great ride!

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I'm on day three of limited calories and am actually kind of enjoying it.

I forgot how good it feels to achieve my calorie targets and the rush that comes from seeing a lower number on the scale (in this case, I know the lower weight is just a combination of water and meal timing, but still...).

I've decided to eat to a 300 calorie daily deficit and to not eat back my running calories as standard practice during the loss phase. This should work out to an average weekly deficit of about 4000 calories. That's admittedly a little high but I'm accounting for the fact that I have two birthday dinners in the next two weeks and will likely allow myself a few liberties along the way. In practice, my weekly deficit will probably be closer to 2500-3000 or so. Still, I should be able to lose the weight in about 2 weeks.

When I get back into maintenance, I plan on just eating back my exercise calories. I'll run a 2000 weekly deficit as a matter of course to allow for the occasional weekly splurge. Best case, this will result in a very slow loss rate that can be easily adjusted over time. Worst case, I have some runway to allow for slips and can alter my daily calorie totals to account for my exercise levels.

Good luck to everyone!

I think my problem in maintenance was that I lost my plan. So this week I made one, much like yours. And as part of that plan, I started C210K this week. I hate the treadmill so have done no running since November, just gym time, x-country skiing, and snowshoeing. It feels good to start something new and have a new challenge (I've only run 5k before). Maybe, for me, that's what was missing in maintenance??

I've worked too darn hard losing 90 pounds to let it creep back through lazy habits!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think most everyone can relate to this! It’s so hard when you’re not focused on a definitive goal. The other night my son left a bag of ranch Doritos on the coffee table and I grabbed it and ate like half the bag. Wtf is wrong with me.
  • juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I suppose this may start a discussion, and may not work for everyone, but I find when I am trying to lose a couple of pounds again that have crept back, if I stop eating anything but protein (big salad/protein for dinner and that's it) after 6 p.m. or so, it registers on the scale the next morning as a loss. I can eat carbs (healthy ones -- whole grain bread, oats, etc.) in the morning, but after 6, it's nothing...
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    This is so relevant to me. I got a strain in my hip flexor after subluxing my pelvis and I couldn't lift my leg off the ground, I was down for the exercise count. I exercised no control of my food/alcohol intake (cold brew and bailey's, you fiend!) and here I am 4 weeks later, 2lbs up. Not a huge deal, I could even maintain at this weight (143lbs, 5'11.5, small framed) but I just feel not myself like this, so back on the bus I go. It's more the grossness of 5 Easter eggs has caught up with me. :lol: Someone give me a vegetable!
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering jumping off this bus for good.
    I'm about 3 kilos over my maintenance weight, and 5 kilos over my I-love-it weight. BMI is 23, so fine.
    I'm very much trying to decide if I'm happy with my current size, it's a healthy size after all or should I force those last few kilos down again? Urgh.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    There is a conversation on here about exactly that: people on maintenance who stopped at a weight a bit higher than their original goal. I am one of those. I am 5 lbs. over my original goal, maintaining for 3 years, happy, as you said, with current size and fitness. I struggled to go back and get those 5 lbs. off, but I didn't feel good as I was trying, and my whole equilibrium seemed to be shot. So I agree with the above ... if you are happy, look at a recomp. The scale is just a number and your BMI is fine. I do have to say - and have said it here before - that I don't believe the BMI is accurate for everyone. It puts Michael Jordan at overweight/obese; it puts me at 25 and does not take into account muscles, which my lower body is: butt, thighs, calves - all very muscular and always have been. Tiny on top. Perfect pear shape. At my age and my size and my total fitness, I doubt very much that I am overweight. My physician said it's more about going by your waist size for health security. Good link here:
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/risk.htm
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That’s exactly how I am. I am 155 and my goal was 145. I kept trying to hop on the bus and get those last 10lbs but I just kept failing. I just want to eat lol. I’ve lost the same 4 lbs like 3 times since July. I just decided I’m good. I’m doing recomp now and honestly I’m enjoying it so far! Lifting weights is a lot more fun now that I’m eating more.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Recomp it is :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    After my slow "bulk", I don't want to cut. Would recomp work for me?