How many vegetables do you eat regularly?

Options
I had just went to my first nutritionist appointment and she told me I should be having '5+++ servings of vegetables a day'

How many do you all have & what is your favorite vegetable? I am currently looking for more variety

Mine daily currently are: cauliflour, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, yam/sweet potato (only 1) and green beans

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I eat more veggies than fruit, usually in a salad for lunch, dipped in hummus for snacks and then add them to my dinner. My diaries open so you can see.
  • FeliciaFancy
    FeliciaFancy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I generally have between 5 and 7 portions of fruit and veg a day.

I try and have some kind of berry with my breakfast if it is cereal or porridge or peppers, spinach, or mushrooms if it's an egg breakfast.

My mid morning snack is normally an apple, clementine or grapes then for lunch I'll either have some roasted vegetables or salad with whatever else I'm having.

For for my PM snack if I have a protein shake I always add a banana and sometimes some berries or some spinach/kale.

For dinner some kind of steamed or roasted veg like broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, onion, green beans or sweetcorn.

That is on an ideal day, my healthy snacks do occasionally get swapped for a cake or chocolate biscuit ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I usually have 1-2kg vegetables/fruit a day (majority vegetables)

Zucchini is probably the one I eat the most, it's low cal, and versatile

I don't have a favourite... It depends what I'm eating.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i usually have a big salad for lunch filled with spinach, butter lettuce, tomatoes and red peppers and for dinners i'll usually have some steamed broccoli, green beans and asparagus. sweet taters are probably my favorite though!
  • deirdremarianneryan
    Options
    I eat about 3 servings of veg per day, but as I continue to lose weight that number will probably go up to 5-7.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I love veggies and the volume helps with feeling full. At minimum I have 3 100g servings per day. I try and have 6. It helps to pair a potato/sweet potato with another green leafy type veg, or make a big salad with lots of greens. Soups are also another great way to get veggies.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    TONS. I have a giant salad every day and 2 servings with dinner, plus I often have celery & nut butter as a snack, and sometimes have an omelet with veggies for breakfast. But I don't eat fruit (keto).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't really have a favourite, I eat them for nutrition rather than the taste, my go tos at the moment are:
    • Steamed green beans & broccoli as a side dish for dinners
    • Riced broccoli & kale or cauliflower as an occasional alternative to rice
    • Spiralised courgette as an occasional alternative to pasta
    • Roasted Onions (I do love these but do not love the calories that go with the oil so it's rare)
    • Mushrooms and bell peppers in omelettes
    • Berries or Bananas on my breakfast
    • Apple slices with cold custard pots
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's actually an active thread on that you might enjoy: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655830/how-many-fruits-vegetables-have-you-had-today#latest

I'm sort of obsessed with vegetables. My personal goal is about 10 servings per day (we had a challenge going for a while, which is where that number is from), but I usually eat about 12-15 servings of veg and fruit (probably about 3-4 servings of fruit, including avocado). Not saying that's necessary. I generally prefer to plan all meals around a source of protein and some vegetables.

I like a lot of them and make variety a priority, so don't exactly have favorites -- what I eat varies by season some. But I love brussels sprouts, asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, all kinds of greens (I try to have a variety of them in a day too), winter squash, most root vegetables (a favorite is celeriac, also turnips, carrots and parsnips are also nice). Tomatoes (fruit, veg, whatever), of course are a staple since they can be used in many ways. Leeks and fennel. I could go on!

My favorite breakfast lately is an omelet with asparagus, leeks, spinach, and mushrooms, with some radishes and avocado on the side.
    pf13iaw4uwwy.png
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I always have kale in my morning smoothie, so that's one that I get every day.
    I cook dinner for the family and eat leftovers the next day so I make sure we get lots of veggies. Lately we've been eating peas, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, mixed veg (frozen for soups), cabbage, lettuce, spinach, arugula, spring mix, sweet potatoes, ALL bell pepper varieties, corn
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Amount varies and I could probably do better.
    I have cucumbers, tomato, carrot for snacks sometimes.
    I cook with onions a lot. If I could not use onions it would be difficult.
    Potatoes, cabbage, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, peppers, spinach, mixed salad greens, brussel sprouts, corn, asparagus.
    My family does not like peas much but I sneak them into casseroles, soups and stews sometimes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's salad was a little over a pound. That counts as several servings.
    I typically have a lot of vegetables for lunch and for dinner.
    Snacks are sometimes vegetables.
    I don't eat a lot of fruit, but do eat some, and lots of watermelon in summer.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of fruit outside the berries I frequently eat with breakfast. Veg I eat plenty of - last night steamed broccoli with lemon squeezed on after. My go-to are brussels sprouts and kale and mixes of the kind - if I get them bagged they can get added to rice to bulk out a serving, or just sauteed up with whatever seasoning I feel like. You can fry them up with ground turkey, eggs, whatever. If I have the sprouts whole you can chop different sizes too for different meals for the mouth variety lol. Onions are a staple, usually that and garlic are the basis of whatever veg I am cooking up. Canned tomatoes, eggplant once in a while. Not huge on zucchini or summer squash unless it's grilled with parmesan mmm but I'm generally a "throw it in the pan and mix it up" kinda thing. I keep it interesting with different flavours - lemon, bbq, buffalo, soy, ginger...
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I eat large servings of veg. My typical “serving” of veg is 2-4 times the standard serving size. I don’t usually eat a large variety in one day though, but I do get a good variety over time. To cut back on waste, I started buying less of a variety of fresh produce each shopping trip to make sure that I used up what I did buy. This painlessly saved me a lot of money!

I always have some frozen veg on hand too, but I much prefer fresh.

Some favorites...
    - Marinated roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts. I get these in jars/cans. Drain, cut, marinate in my fav evoo and balasamic vinegar, season with a little s & p and garlic powder. These are my fav additions to salads along with a protein.
    - Roasted head of cauliflower. I usually eat 3/4 - the whole thing in one sitting. Often top with some Parmesan cheese.
    - Roasted brussel sprouts.
    - Zucchini, usually sautéed in a little evoo and butter.
    - Greens, like kale, Swiss chard, and spinach.
    - Broccoli. Baby bok choy. Cabbage.
    - I’ve started making my dad’s recipe for caponata. In that mix, I ate two huge eggplants over the course of 3 days last week.
    - Sweet potatoes, beans.
    - Avocado/guacamole (yes, technically a fruit.)

I love veggies. I enjoy fruit too but I can sometimes go a while without a serving. I usually have just 1 or 2 servings a day (or none). When I have fruit, I usually pair it with nuts or cheese.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    6-8 servings of fruit and veg...mostly veg and one or two servings of fruit. They're all my favorite.
  • skatemom61
    skatemom61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so veggies are at least 4-5 cups of my daily intake. I've cut back on fruit for the sake of weight loss, but salads and cooked veggies are everyday. I love Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Rabe, mushrooms, fresh salad greens, arugula, pretty much anything, I don't love okra, I think that's it...
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Way more than I used to, that's for sure. Some days it's several servings of plants and other days I have just a few servings. I work to get them in every time I eat, at least a couple of servings each meal, and some at snack time.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Making a veg-heavy soup you like is an easy and convenient way to get a good mix in your diet each day.