How many vegetables do you eat regularly?

Options

Replies

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have about 2-3 servings at the most, per day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I use a dehydrated vegetable blended powder in both my smoothie and yogurt bowl. It claims to give me 5 servings of vegetables.
    Besides that, my breakfast smoothie has 60 grams of leafy greens, usually kale, and 1 ounce of hulled hemp seeds.
    My lunch usually doesn't have a vegetable.
    My dinner, and it depends upon what I'm having, can have as much as 400 grams of a variety of vegetables, today will be asparagus, onion, carrot, potato.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 kg of vegetables a day. That's about 20 servings or something? I just find an 85 gram serving tiny so I eat multiple servings of the same vegetable, not one serving of 20 vegetables.

Today I had tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, and red pepper.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    my veggies are maybe 2 servings and my fruits are 1 serving a day. I could definitely add more but I really like my tacos how they are right now.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't bother much with fruit but I love vegetables and at least one meal per day is a huge salad. I use a whole head of lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, celery, carrots, whatever we have in the fridge, and dress with balsamic vinegar and goat cheese or with lemon juice and olive oil or with salsa and jarred jalapenos. I'll throw a couple eggs or a chicken breast or can of tuna or a veggie burger or something on top usually too. I generally eat the stupid thing out of a mixing bowl the size of my torso and I'm sure it alone is like 10 servings of vegetables. But I like it, it's filling, and I feel like it's healthy, so....

I also do a ton of vegetables in my Actifry, but roasting works about the same. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, asparagus, sweet potato, green beans, etc all taste great with a little olive oil, garlic, and lemon and roasted. We like a tiny drizzle of white truffle oil to finish and I add Parmesan flakes for my husband sometimes.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'd say on average I eat 6 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruit a day. I tend to have a fruit before my 6am workout, my breakfasts only contain fruits or veggies if I've meal-prepped a casserole or breakfast sandwiches with greens and avocado, otherwise I'm lazy and eat a protein bar or hard boiled eggs w/ a quick shake. Lunch always contains at least two (usually 3) servings of vegetables and a fruit. Afternoon snack is dried fruits and nuts. Dinner generally involves 3 servings of vegetables because I like big portions.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    It's very rare for me to eat fewer than 5 (80g) servings of fruit & veg (mostly veg), and l frequently end up in the 10-20 servings range somewhere. I love veggies, and find them filling/satisfying.

I like everything except seaweed and lima beans, and lately probably eat the most of beans/legumes (many types), winter squash (I froze 30+ 2C bowls in the fall) - try it mixed with white miso (yum), onions, cucumber, with a varied range of others in rotation alongside.

Some to try that you didn't mention:

- Celeriac - raw, or roasted or in soups
    - Root veggies, roasted - carrots, turnips, rutabaga/Swede, parsnips, etc. Good hot, or cold in salads.
    - Jicama - raw, in salads or on its own.
    - Greens of all sorts, lightly steamed or sauteed, or in soups/stews
    - Asparagus, grilled or broiled, hot or cold (great in salads),
    - Eggplant - layer slices with veggies (winter squash mash, pureed white beans, other veggies in chunks, whatever), herbs, ricotta and egg (to firm it up a bit) in a lasagna-like fashion and bake; or roast whole until soft and use to make dip and spreads.I

Oh, and: I highly recommend trying some of your sweet potato in a soft taco with black beans, chopped sweet onions, and whatever seasonings you like.

I could go on and on. But I won't. ;)
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I use a dehydrated vegetable blended powder in both my smoothie and yogurt bowl. It claims to give me 5 servings of vegetables.
    Besides that, my breakfast smoothie has 60 grams of leafy greens, usually kale, and 1 ounce of hulled hemp seeds.
    My lunch usually doesn't have a vegetable.
    My dinner, and it depends upon what I'm having, can have as much as 400 grams of a variety of vegetables, today will be asparagus, onion, carrot, potato.

Do you make your own veggie powder? I just bought a dehydrator and have found a few recipes online to try.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh, I was having internet issues earlier, and managed to really screw up my post's formatting/double-posting in trying to repost what I'd written. Embarassing!
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Can't stand raw veggies, steamed is not bad though, and honestly food brands are doing some pretty creative things to veggies these days. Broccoli cheddar Tots, mashed cauliflower, zucchini fries... I love those new twists on traditionally carb heavy, low-nutrition food. And it usually means I can eat a LOT more than the food item they're duping and still stay under my goal.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m WFPB - so pretty much only eat fruits and vegetables, plus beans, nuts and seeds.
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just a small detour from the thread and a tiny note. These foods are nice to have for their calories, but potatoes aren't at all low nutrition. If you feel like having the real thing, not the imitation, and you have the calories, potatoes are an amazing starchy vegetable. Nutritious, and in my case, delicious and highly satiating. There is nothing wrong with making a lower calorie choice, but people need to stop looking down on potatoes.

Maybe I was projecting my subconscious potato stigma from years of fad diets... my bad :) I'm learning to love them again and seriously enjoy a hot baked potato when I have one (sour cream and chives on top, of course).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as much as I should. I eat about 3 servings a day. My goal is 5 servings a day. I love veggies, so thats not the issue. I just tend to want to spend my calories on fruit instead. 50 of broccoli or 50 calories of berries....fruit always wins.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It really varies for me, but I do eat a few servings of veggies each day.

VERY common (not daily, but more than weekly):
    zucchini
    cooked spinach
    onions & scallions
    bell pepper
    carrots
    broccoli
    cabbage
    lettuce & mixed greens

Weekly or so:
    tomatoes
    potatoes/sweet potatoes
    celery
    cauliflower
    asparagus
    green beans
    raw spinach

Once in a while:
    corn
    peas
    kale
    bamboo shoots
    daikon/radishes
    eggplant
    collard greens
    okra
    artichokes

I have never even tried turnips and my husband is the main cook and hates Brussels sprouts so I haven't had those in many years.

As for fruit, I eat apples, berries, pears, bananas, pineapple & avocado very regularly.
    Oranges, plums, grapes & honeydew or watermelon occasionally/in season.
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I end up having 5-7 servings of fruit and veggies a day.
    1 serving of fruit for breakfast
    1 serving of veggies in my scrambled eggs for breakfast
    large salad with various veggies for lunch (2 servings)
    1 piece of fruit mid afternoon (usually apple)
    1-2 servings of veggies for dinner
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of veggies or salads (some times both) with lunch and dinner, and I also do a lot of soups with different kind of vegetables (I like to pure the soups). I also eat some kind of fruit everyday, and very often 3 times a day, and 5 oz of low sodium V8.
    I log everything in my diary for the daily calories, carbs, protein, and fiber but I don't count them to find out how many servings per day I eat. I am sure that some days I eat more than 3 or 5 servings and some days less than that. No worries.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Can't stand raw veggies, steamed is not bad though, and honestly food brands are doing some pretty creative things to veggies these days. Broccoli cheddar Tots, mashed cauliflower, zucchini fries... I love those new twists on traditionally carb heavy, low-nutrition food. And it usually means I can eat a LOT more than the food item they're duping and still stay under my goal.

Try roasting your vegies....including things like broccoli and Cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, cabbage wedges etc. So good, the roasting adds delicious flavour. I just put some salt, pepper and spices on them - you could use a little oil if you want