Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just read about this in textbook.
    Stretch receptors!
    Stretch receptors send signals to the brain (hypothalamus? Don't quote that...) that serve as one of our signals that we are "full". Over a period of time, consuming higher amounts of food than we should in one meal will result in less sensitive stretch receptors, dulling or delaying the message to brain that we are full and encouraging us to consume more.
    In addition, some humans have more receptors and/or more specific receptors than others. One person may have more stomach receptors for fats than another, for example, which can drastically alter the messages the stomach sends to the brain. This, I do believe, is why some of us find we have to adjust our intakes of the standard recommendation for fat, protein, and carb in order to not feel the hangry, cravings, chronically over eat, basically to find the satiety sweet spot.
    They are also doing studies to understand correlation between receptors and obesity, etc. I thought this was great, proof that one size "dieting" in terms of food intake will not work for all.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Freyhb wrote: »
    I sure feel like today my stomach shrank lol. I'm sure that's not really the case but I got takeout from a Mediterranean place that I really, really wanted to eat and I could only eat a quarter of it. My stomach is so full right now, I can't even breathe. But yeah, before I started to eat, I was feeling ravenous and three bites into it, I started feeling full.

That happens to me too when I'm super hungry! Wonder what causes it?

could be satiation from certain macros? could be other things, some underlying conditions can cause that too. if you have a lot of bloating and feel very full from small amounts of food its best to see a dr about it., if it isnt gas then its nor a normal thing especially if its painful

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv but I have gastroparesis and that is one of the symptoms. Though I have no appetite at all and also am nauseous all of the time.

yeah I have been having issues with my stomach lately so had to get a "lovely" colonoscopy. I say lovely because fof me the prep was worse than the procedure. I dont know what the results are yet. I have to go back the 18th to see if they found anything. some days I have no appetite and others Im ravenous.I do seem to have issues with not nausea per say but feeling like I want to puke some days.I have the bloating sometimes to where its painful. Ive always had stomach issues though.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I sure feel like today my stomach shrank lol. I'm sure that's not really the case but I got takeout from a Mediterranean place that I really, really wanted to eat and I could only eat a quarter of it. My stomach is so full right now, I can't even breathe. But yeah, before I started to eat, I was feeling ravenous and three bites into it, I started feeling full.

could be satiation from certain macros? could be other things, some underlying conditions can cause that too. if you have a lot of bloating and feel very full from small amounts of food its best to see a dr about it., if it isnt gas then its nor a normal thing especially if its painful

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv but I have gastroparesis and that is one of the symptoms. Though I have no appetite at all and also am nauseous all of the time.

Gurl... I knew I liked you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

yeah I have been having issues with my stomach lately so had to get a "lovely" colonoscopy. I say lovely because fof me the prep was worse than the procedure. I dont know what the results are yet. I have to go back the 18th to see if they found anything. some days I have no appetite and others Im ravenous.I do seem to have issues with not nausea per say but feeling like I want to puke some days.I have the bloating sometimes to where its painful. Ive always had stomach issues though.

The benefit of having no colon ir rectum- no more colonoscopy prep ever again! I would recommend an EGD (upper endoscopy) and if they don't find anything that explains your symptoms I would recommend asking for a gastric emptying study. EGD and GES are both easy. Prep is just fasting and for the GES you get to eat lovely radioactive scrambled eggs and toast.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

Augh, I hate the prep! At least I am knocked out for the scope, but the prep is awful. I hope the docs give you answers soon.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

The benefit of having no colon ir rectum- no more colonoscopy prep ever again! I would recommend an EGD (upper endoscopy) and if they don't find anything that explains your symptoms I would recommend asking for a gastric emptying study. EGD and GES are both easy. Prep is just fasting and for the GES you get to eat lovely radioactive scrambled eggs and toast.

I have had an upper endoscope last year. all they found was that I produce a lot of stomach acid. nothing else was found. as for the egg part I cant eat eggs as they are one thing that bother my stomach. but yeah if my colonoscopy doesnt find anything then I will ask for additional tests. my symptoms are worse than they were before the colonoscopy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Augh, I hate the prep! At least I am knocked out for the scope, but the prep is awful. I hope the docs give you answers soon.

thank you me too. everyone said the scope was the worst part. for me it was the prep. my grandma had cancerous polyps and the surgery told me if I had polyps he would remove them and there would be some bleeding. so hoping that since there was no pain or bleeding that that wasnt an issue
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    I LOVE PREPS!!! I'm kidding! I loved that on my first prep, I heard it "Just tasted like diluted lemonade." No. No, it doesn't! I then heard, "It tastes like a weak Sprite." No. No, it doesn't! It's gross and nasty and you can't even mask it with some crackers because you can't have THEM! BUT...I will say this, try to finish any preps that are scheduled. I was once told that I couldn't complete a test because I didn't finish enough of the prep for them to see any results. Believe me, if you feel bad enough, you will jug that stuff, get a good book to read in the bathroom and ride it out!
    Truth :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    I LOVE PREPS!!! I'm kidding! I loved that on my first prep, I heard it "Just tasted like diluted lemonade." No. No, it doesn't! I then heard, "It tastes like a weak Sprite." No. No, it doesn't! It's gross and nasty and you can't even mask it with some crackers because you can't have THEM! BUT...I will say this, try to finish any preps that are scheduled. I was once told that I couldn't complete a test because I didn't finish enough of the prep for them to see any results. Believe me, if you feel bad enough, you will jug that stuff, get a good book to read in the bathroom and ride it out!
    Truth :)

the prep now or at least with my surgeon. they have you take 2 dulcolax at 11am the day before,then at 1 I think it was take 238g of miralax into 64 oz of water,juice,gatorade,etc. Then at 6pm take 2 more dulcolax. it was ROUGH even with wipes.I had to soak in the tub with warm water and baking soda because my butt was so sore. not to mention at 4pm I was full and bloated and feeling like I was going to puke. and then trying to get a liquid diet in (soup broth,jello,etc) was rough. I could not have any crackers or anything solid while doing the prep. the day before the prep, I had to do a low fiber diet as well. NOT fun at all. now its been almost 2 weeks since I have had it done and my issues are worse than they were before the colonoscopy was done.
  • HappyKat5
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey The good thing is they can’t start weeding out the possibilities. It make take months of them guessing and you making doctor appointments for you to know he cause. Like, for some of use, we will never know. So, hang in there!
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I’ve always wondered about this too.
    Before my weight loss journey I ate non stop and my stomach never feel full. However, I finally eat in moderation and I feel full even before I finish my meal. I don’t think it shrank but maybe I’m just used to a new habit of eating moderately.

Anyway, I do some research and on webmd it said “once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.”

I don’t think stomach can “shrink” but it does has ability to stretch to accommodate how much you’re eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey The good thing is they can’t start weeding out the possibilities. It make take months of them guessing and you making doctor appointments for you to know he cause. Like, for some of use, we will never know. So, hang in there!

thanks and yeah my luck they will say nothing is wrong. and then I will have to keep finding ways to figure out what is wrong.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I’ve always wondered about this too.
    Before my weight loss journey I ate non stop and my stomach never feel full. However, I finally eat in moderation and I feel full even before I finish my meal. I don’t think it shrank but maybe I’m just used to a new habit of eating moderately.

Anyway, I do some research and on webmd it said “once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.”

I don’t think stomach can “shrink” but it does has ability to stretch to accommodate how much you’re eating.

if you are eating differently say more fibrous foods or more of something else that could be what satiates you and its telling your body you are satiated so therefore you feel fuller on less food.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No it doesn't. We're born with a certain size and grows along with us. It can easily be expanded though. When people learn to eat a moderate amount of food or a certain diet over a long period of time, reintroducing large meals or foods they haven't consumed for a long time can play havoc on digestion.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This has been my experience. I overate most of my life but when I finally lost weight after 2 years of dieting I found I could no longer eat that much food and I feel ill if I try. Don't know what exactly changed, size or elasticity but I can tell you there is most definately a difference. In fact it's enough that the two occasions I overdid it I have vowed never to do it again. It's not worth the suffering, lol.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic no it doesn’t shrink but I don’t know how reputable that is?