Kindness Matters

Replies

• brendajean316
    brendajean316 Posts: 30 Member
    Yes, it does. You don't have to tear someone else down in order to lift yourself up. We are all allowed to get to the top together.
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    I downloaded this app in hope for meeting supportive people with the same goal as mine. But after a few discussions thread I made, I’m extremely heartbroken & disappointed by people’s reaction.

None of them gave me an actual support, instead a bunch of eyerollers & trolls, they seems unhappy with their life and saw me as an easy prey to make fun of.
    Extremely disappointed.
  • sgm1168
    sgm1168 Posts: 34 Member
    elenora--Oh my goodness, that is so terrible! Stay in this space with us and we will help each other! you are among friends here--please please share with us anything mind! I think those of us in this group share the same values and fitness goals and that has been a great fit for me! You will find lots of great people to add as friends, I promise!
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    I love this thread! Today, I did something I always do...if someone is close to me when I enter a place (store or restaurant) I always hold the door. This afternoon, the littlest old lady was behind me, and I kept the door open. She took FOREVER! I know it was probably just seconds, but when you have to pick your child up at the bus stop, it seemed like hours! She was so cute and when she got inside, she just smiled. No words. That IS kindness. Just a look. I went my way and she went hers, but, I felt so good after that..sometimes, we shouldn't always expect a Thank You for what we do to be kind..just a look.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Eleonora....I am so sorry for those bad apples...there are good ones :'(
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    I love this thread! Today, I did something I always do...if someone is close to me when I enter a place (store or restaurant) I always hold the door. This afternoon, the littlest old lady was behind me, and I kept the door open. She took FOREVER! I know it was probably just seconds, but when you have to pick your child up at the bus stop, it seemed like hours! She was so cute and when she got inside, she just smiled. No words. That IS kindness. Just a look. I went my way and she went hers, but, I felt so good after that..sometimes, we shouldn't always expect a Thank You for what we do to be kind..just a look.

One look can say a thousand words.......especially if its from mom! :#
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    00ajvb9x1jcf.png
  • HappyKat5
    dsboohead wrote: »

One look can say a thousand words.......especially if its from mom! :#

Ha ha and so true. My mom had a mean mom look that she reserved for places we had to be quiet, like in church. I now have one too, as a mom. I didnt even know the power until it happened one day, I was thinking, “Man, that’s powerful” :p
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    I love this discussion thread. I don’t share my weight loss plan to my friends or family members because they always look down on me and make me feel unmotivated. But here, I can hide & focus.
    To me, weight loss is not just about fitness & calories. My mental health is #1. I’m a former ED and some things are triggering. But after seeing a ton of success stories here, it makes me don’t want to give up to have a better health & lifestyle.

I hope I can give some support to those who need it.
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    It starts with being kind to yourself then your natural state of love shines through. You can't have positive thoughts without negative ones but you can see them for what they really are. Just thoughts. Meditation has changed my mental state 110 percent. Good thread...loving kindness is where it's AT.
  • sgm1168
    HappyKat--Your description of holding the door is so spot on--we are rushing (and you could use someone helping you in that moment) and then you have to give one more thing and instead of breaking you, it gives you this energy that you didn't see coming. So cool.
  • sgm1168
    Elenora thank you so much for sharing your story! I truly believe that we "absorb" the negative behavior thrown at us UNTIL we realize what is happening. I think once we realize that we don't have to take all of that in, things start to turn around. I do think though that this requires 2 things--first, you have to create positive thoughts from within as DifferentView points out because those negative people are everywhere and we can't completely avoid them. What we can do, however, is work on dealing with them as needed but putting more time into surrounding ourselves with kind people. Does this make sense? Then, you won't have to hide in any space anymore. But as long as you need to hide, we got your back!
  • sgm1168
    I am so inspired by all of you and your amazing effort to achieve fitness. Thank you for letting me share your journey! Enjoy your weekend!
  • HappyKat5
    @sgm1168 Me too! It takes a random act of kindness to really think about how you want your life to be remembered. I hope people have a nice word to say about me
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    We are all so quick to judge...

One never knows the struggles someone else has to endure.

I try (but have to remind myself) if someone doesn't smile or is rude or mean...perhaps something awful is happening in their lives. It's not you...it's their lives at the moment...Most people - deep down maybe- are good people.
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    "And I said to my body. Softly. 'I want to be your friend.' It took a long breath and replied 'I've been waiting for you to say that my whole life."
    A quote I saw on one of the MFP posts with any image of a flower morphing into a person. Kindness to each other and ourselves!
  • HappyKat5
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    We are all so quick to judge...

@vegmebuff One never knows the struggles someone else has to endure.

I try (but have to remind myself) if someone doesn't smile or is rude or mean...perhaps something awful is happening in their lives. It's not you...it's their lives at the moment...Most people - deep down maybe- are good people.

I LOVE this...! So true, we don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors (and windows.)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    @sgm1168 Me too! It takes a random act of kindness to really think about how you want your life to be remembered. I hope people have a nice word to say about me

I'm sure there will be many :)