Mediterranean Diet

Options
I’ve been researching the Mediterranean diet, and finally decided to give it a shot. Has anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts? Id love more friends who are trying this diet as well! Feel free to add me.
On a side note, please keep negative comments to your self, I’ve already decided to try this diet and your negative thoughts are unneeded and unwanted.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your calories/macros for the Mediterranean diet?
  • Shan_Wow89
    Shan_Wow89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Calories are around 1700, not sure on macros.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Shan_Wow89 wrote: »
    Calories are around 1700, not sure on macros.

Is 1700 cals a deficit?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think it's one of the best named plans out there, it's just good sensible eating. As long as you use the food choice guidelines and are maintaining a calorie deficit, you should be fine. I tend to follow some of the guidelines myself, but as mmapags said, I do go for getting more protein, but from lean vegetarian sources (since I'm a vegetarian).

You might consider checking to make sure that you're getting enough protein (.65 - .85 gr per pound of ideal body weight or more if you're active) as dieters need more protein. Current dietary recommendations for protein are geared towards sedentary individuals at a healthy weight. Being active and dieting increase the needs for dietary protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not really a "diet," except in that all ways of eating are diets. I think it is a sensible way to eat, and has a lot in common with many healthy eating plans. I tend to eat a lot like that (did before losing weight too), but not 100% since I don't live in the Mediterranean and like to eat as local as possible when fresh produce is available, and also like to take advantage of the many different sorts of ethnic options/groceries where I am.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My rheumatologist suggested this diet to me. The type of fats in this diet, monounsaturated, are supposed to be good for inflammation. I have Rheumatoid arthritis. I also received some information from the Arthritis foundation that included nutrition/diet info. Without calling it the Mediterranian diet, it was the same type things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I suppose the way I eat is loosely MD in that I eat a crap ton of vegetables and some fruit, plenty of whole grains, legumes, lentils, etc and quite a bit of fish. I eat more poultry and red meat than is subscribed, but I also think it's kind of silly that they subscribe such a small amount of meat...my BIL is Greek and they eat a crap ton of red meat...namely lamb.