Mediterranean Diet

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How to cook in a tajine, also Mediterranean.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-use-a-moroccan-tagine-2394754
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How to cook in a tajine, also Mediterranean.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-use-a-moroccan-tagine-2394754

Tangine (the spelling I've always seen) Chicken is spectacular with an abundance of layered flavors!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm a lifetime omnivore and an extremely active person. Over the last several years I have become very focused on how my food choices affect both my leanness and how I feel. During this time, I have been drawn to what I would describe as a Mediterranean way of eating. By this I mean a diet that is trending towards vegetarian - heavy on dark greens, fruits, grains, beans, etc. I use and enjoy olive oil, avocadoes and walnuts as part of my regular food choices. While I still consume and enjoy dairy products (eggs!!) and some meats, I have noticed that I often feel best when I consume a largely plant based diet that is supplemented with fish several times per week.

Additionally, I have recently read Dr Valter Longo's book titled "The Longevity Diet", that describes the latest science behind stem cell activation and regeneration. Longo is a longevity researcher at USC and a native of Italy. The focus of his book is slowing the aging process through a combination of dietary choices and a process that mimics the effects of intermittent fasting. A central premise in his book is that losing weight and reducing abdominal mass without losing lean body mass is one of the keys to a healthy life span. Towards the end of his book he outlines an example of a two week menu that I would characterize as "Mediterranean". It was an interesting read. Some of his TedTalks sessions are also on YouTube and you may find those worth a listen.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    I like it and the Mediterranean plate is balanced just the way I was trained to eat as a diabetic. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. An oil and vinegar dressing. A protein on the side (more fish than red meat).

I notice that the American adapted “Mediterranean” recipes go low fat and I think that is a mistake. That little bit of oil goes a long ways towards satiety.

Making my hummus I found out I enjoyed it a lot more when I added enough oil. Making it this way results in a macro profile similar to Edamame or peanut butter. Then it hit me. A balanced macro meal including the fats, are going to keep my blood sugars stable and give me that all day good feeling. Embrace the oil (in moderation).

Remember the Greeks were masters in moderation, and they are Mediterranean too.

Mediterranean is not low fat. It's low saturated fats, but high Monounsaturated fatty acid, MUFA. They stress using olive oil, fatty fish like salmon or sardines, avocado, and nuts for fats.

It seems every time I google a Mediterranean recipe, if it is North American (measures in cups) it will also be low fat. I think Americans are losing out in the good fats.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I like it and the Mediterranean plate is balanced just the way I was trained to eat as a diabetic. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. An oil and vinegar dressing. A protein on the side (more fish than red meat).

I notice that the American adapted “Mediterranean” recipes go low fat and I think that is a mistake. That little bit of oil goes a long ways towards satiety.

Making my hummus I found out I enjoyed it a lot more when I added enough oil. Making it this way results in a macro profile similar to Edamame or peanut butter. Then it hit me. A balanced macro meal including the fats, are going to keep my blood sugars stable and give me that all day good feeling. Embrace the oil (in moderation).

Mediterranean is not low fat. It's low saturated fats, but high Monounsaturated fatty acid, MUFA. They stress using olive oil, fatty fish like salmon or sardines, avocado, and nuts for fats.

Actually in the Mediterranean basin, there is no Salmon and there are no avocados cultivated. There is a lot of fish eaten. Bacala, Branzino (a huge favorite), sardines, smelts, shrimp, octopus and squid and clams. There are lots of nuts and cheeses, so saturated fats are not unknown. There are lots of vegetables in a huge variety and lots of fruits. Also, lots of herbs and spices, both cultivated and wild. And lot of legumes as well as grains and pastas. For meats, there is a lot of lamb, goat and some pork and beef.

Salmon is a North Atlantic and Pacific Fish. So, not indigenous to the Mediterranean Basin. Avocados are grown in California, Mexico and Central America. They are unknown in the Mediterranean.

FWIW, I am a Chef who has spent a career specializing in Mediterranean Cuisine. I am of Italian heritage and have studied the cuisines of the Near East, North Africa, Spain, the Provencal Region of France and Greece as well as extensive study of regional Italian cuisine.

Avocados and Salmon are not considered Mediterranean.

You beat me to it! Baccala' isn't Med either, but it's been used here for a long time. The cod is salted and dried in Northern countries--Sweden, Denmark,etc. and then transported down here. It will keep that way for a long time with no refrigeration. It is placed in a fresh water bath for 3 days, changing the water 3 times a day, to soften it up and leach out the excess salt.

We can buy salmon and now, avocados. Changing things around with new foods has been done for centuries as they became available. This is not a bad thing. For me, someone can eat other things and still be within the parameters. Eating local, and fresh, is always a plus. It's a question of cost and availability. People in Northern countries don't have fresh produce in the winter. For them, eating frozen or canned is logical.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It seems every time I google a Mediterranean recipe, if it is North American (measures in cups) it will also be low fat. I think Americans are losing out in the good fats.

This is very true. It's not a good idea to overdo, but fats are necessary.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm not sure. I have been eating in this style and my fat content is quite high, intentionally so. My fat macro is aimed at 35% I'm almost always there or a little over.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never seen anyone to trying sell a mediterranean weight loss program. So I'm not sure about that. The Mediterranean style eating plan is about rebalancing to a more plant based, without eliminating meat completely. Using healthier sources for your fat content, even changing alcohol content to mostly red wine. I've always seen it as discussion of making healthier choices, rather than a weight loss plan or a diet of any kind.

The South Beach Diet. Look at their website
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I guess I've never seen anyone to trying sell a mediterranean weight loss program. So I'm not sure about that. The Mediterranean style eating plan is about rebalancing to a more plant based, without eliminating meat completely. Using healthier sources for your fat content, even changing alcohol content to mostly red wine. I've always seen it as discussion of making healthier choices, rather than a weight loss plan or a diet of any kind.

Isn't that low carb diet?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Isn't that low carb diet?

Only in the first phase.