How do you do your warm up sets?

Options
I don't like calculating % of 1RM so I usually add 50 pounds for each set and do my regular # of reps, decreasing by 1 each set. For example, if I am doing 225 pound deadlift I will do:
Bar x 8
Bar + 50 x 7
Bar + 100 x 6
Bar + 150 x 5
3 working sets (Bar + 180) × 8

I know this is probably far from optimal. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If it works for you that's fine. You may find when your working sets are heavier you will want to jump from bar to 135 (adding 45's rather than 25's).

If I squat first then I jump straight in to working set.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the working sets are for the day. If I'm going to be squatting 5's at 195 my warm up would be like:
    Barx10
    135x6
    160x4
    175x 2 or 3
    185x1
    Working set

• bbell1985
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    It seems to me that most of you do more warm sets than the actual working sets. Any particular reason for doing that since the total workout for day would be very long?

I am not lifting very heavy and I never will, but my warm-up set is usually 1x10 or 15 reps of a lower weight, depending in what exercise I am doing. Just curious.

So I don't die? I'm not going to walk into the gym and throw 85% of my max on the bar. The warm up sets are relatively light and necessary to get your body tuned and and prepped for your working sets. The heavier you are lifting, the more warm up sets you have. I have less on my higher rep days because working set weight is lower.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I’ve been curious about the warm up set question as well. My heaviest lift is only 50 pounds right now and I’ve been doing one warm up set of roughly half the weight to get into the habit of it. I understand that warm up sets are important at heavier weights, but I hate to think of how long workouts must get with all those sets plus longer rests. I’ve been loving getting into lifting, but one hour is just about my perfect length, including a general warm up and cool down, and I’m about 45-50 minutes now.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I’ve been curious about the warm up set question as well. My heaviest lift is only 50 pounds right now and I’ve been doing one warm up set of roughly half the weight to get into the habit of it. I understand that warm up sets are important at heavier weights, but I hate to think of how long workouts must get with all those sets plus longer rests. I’ve been loving getting into lifting, but one hour is just about my perfect length, including a general warm up and cool down, and I’m about 45-50 minutes now.

50 pounds at what lift?

Some of my "lighter" lifts are like a dumbell press with 40's. I would only do a set with 30's first, maybe a couple reps at 35. Really it's a 30 second thing.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    It looks like people lifting very heavy, either by choice or because they follow a special power lifting program, need to warm-up in a different way than us wimpy, and in my case old, folks do. Unless they do that, they could have problems with their heavier working set. It makes sense.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Here is the warmup I did for 405 singles on squats yesterday. I am "warm" by the time I am finished with the doubles but I like to feel out a few singles to judge if I am ready for working weights. I don't rest much until I hit the singles and from start to working weight, it takes me maybe 10minutes total.

I don't warm up or stretch before this either.

45x10
    45x10
    135x5
    225x3
    315x2
    355x1
    385x1
    working sets @405
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yours seem reasonable for warm ups.

Last Friday I warmed up with...

Deads:
    155 × 5
    265 × 5
    375 × 3
    450 × 1
    Working sets @ 485 × 4
    Four back off sets @ 425 × 4

Bench:
    45 × 6
    95 × 5
    135 × 5
    195 × 3
    245 × 1
    290 × 6
    290 × 6
    290 × 6
    290 × 6

Squat:
    135 × 5
    225 × 5
    315 × 3
    365 × 1
    395 × 5
    405 × 5
    Back off set of 365 × 5

My warmups go fast as I can load the bar typically. So maybe 10 minutes to complete a warm up depending on how swollen my joints are.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I do a warm up similar to @bbell1985 or @Okiludy

They didn’t say, but I don’t rest in between. I just add weight and do the next. I take a good rest before my working set.

I’m now doing other warmups for squats besides just doing squats.

While maybe it takes more time, warm up is part of the workout regimen. As @bbell1985 said, you don’t just walk into a gym and squat 400 lbs cold. That’s ridiculous.

Yeah, I rest like 30 seconds between warm ups. It's also a good time to assess the body that day. I could do a set at 135 and realize my hips are tight, so I might do another set of side kicks or a quite myofascial release.

Are my workouts a bit longer? Yes. But I'm in this for life.

Besides light warm-up sets I have dynamic warm ups for that particular lift, and even before that I have 20-30 minutes of physical therapy work for strength/core stabilization to prevent another back injury.

I really don't understand guys who walk in and throw two plates on. Even Mark Bell and some of the strongest people in the world put an empty bar on their back first.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    While maybe it takes more time, warm up is part of the workout regimen. As @bbell1985 said, you don’t just walk into a gym and squat 400 lbs cold. That’s ridiculous.

Completely agree. You don't need to do a lot but you do need to do something. I like doing the movement I am training at increasing intensity. I use bigger jumps in beginning and then around 10-20% when I hit singles for warm-ups. It doesn't need to be perfect. *kitten* doing 405 6x1 cold or even 345 6x4.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

50 pounds at what lift?

Some of my "lighter" lifts are like a dumbell press with 40's. I would only do a set with 30's first, maybe a couple reps at 35. Really it's a 30 second thing.

What would you consider lighter or higher rep where you wouldn't warm up as much? I really only do a larger warm-up (bar, 30%,60%, 80% of working weight etc) if I was doing 6 reps or under per set of a main lift. If I am doing 8-12 reps I would probably just warm up once or with the bar. Depends on the lift .. mostly I kind of go by feel. I probably don't warm up as much as I should though, then again I don't lift very heavy nowhere close to my 1RM.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

50 pounds at what lift?

What would you consider lighter or higher rep where you wouldn't warm up as much? I really only do a larger warm-up (bar, 30%,60%, 80% of working weight etc) if I was doing 6 reps or under per set of a main lift. If I am doing 8-12 reps I would probably just warm up once or with the bar. Depends on the lift .. mostly I kind of go by feel. I probably don't warm up as much as I should though, then again I don't lift very heavy nowhere close to my 1RM.

Oh...yeah totally. Let's say I would going to do Good Mornings for 95lbx8-12...I'd do the barx8, 65x8, 85 for a couple.

If I'm going to do light hip thrusts like 135x15-20 reps I won't even warm up. At that point I've already squatted and done some leg work as well. And I'm not gonna mess around putting anything less than 135 on the bar.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

50 pounds at what lift?

I’ve been using exclusively dumbbells so far, so my heaviest is the Deadlift at 48 pounds. That maxes out my dumbbells so I’m starting with a 50 pound trap on Tuesday. My lightest are shoulder press at 30 and bench at 36 - I’ve been doing a set at 15 to warm up for those. Per your later comment, I certainly hope that I’m in this for life too! I’m just happy with my life currently only including an hour of intentional exercise at a time. ;) But if getting up a half hour earlier is what I need to do, it’s what I’ll do!
  • bbell1985
    Options

50 pounds at what lift?

I’ve been using exclusively dumbbells so far, so my heaviest is the Deadlift at 48 pounds. That maxes out my dumbbells so I’m starting with a 50 pound trap on Tuesday. My lightest are shoulder press at 30 and bench at 36 - I’ve been doing a set at 15 to warm up for those. Per your later comment, I certainly hope that I’m at this for life too! I’m just happy with my life currently only including an hour of intentional exercise at a time. ;) But if getting up a half hour earlier is what I need to do, it’s what I’ll do!

Yeah, just a couple sets with 15s should do the drink. I've I'm going to press 30's or something I'd do like a 17.5 for 8, maybe 25s for 5, then get to it.
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    I personally only ever do one warm up set per workout at a weight that is “easy” for me! I’m not much into heavy lifting as I have suffered overuse injuries before! To each their own! If it’s working for you keep at it and if not just experiment! Good luck!