2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I’ve been curious about the warm up set question as well. My heaviest lift is only 50 pounds right now and I’ve been doing one warm up set of roughly half the weight to get into the habit of it. I understand that warm up sets are important at heavier weights, but I hate to think of how long workouts must get with all those sets plus longer rests. I’ve been loving getting into lifting, but one hour is just about my perfect length, including a general warm up and cool down, and I’m about 45-50 minutes now.

50 pounds at what lift?

Some of my "lighter" lifts are like a dumbell press with 40's. I would only do a set with 30's first, maybe a couple reps at 35. Really it's a 30 second thing.

What would you consider lighter or higher rep where you wouldn't warm up as much? I really only do a larger warm-up (bar, 30%,60%, 80% of working weight etc) if I was doing 6 reps or under per set of a main lift. If I am doing 8-12 reps I would probably just warm up once or with the bar. Depends on the lift .. mostly I kind of go by feel. I probably don't warm up as much as I should though, then again I don't lift very heavy nowhere close to my 1RM.

Oh...yeah totally. Let's say I would going to do Good Mornings for 95lbx8-12...I'd do the barx8, 65x8, 85 for a couple.

If I'm going to do light hip thrusts like 135x15-20 reps I won't even warm up. At that point I've already squatted and done some leg work as well. And I'm not gonna mess around putting anything less than 135 on the bar.

Yup makes sense, thanks! I could probably stand to warm up a bit more on certain lifts, I am going to make sure I really warm up on the upper body stuff because I am struggling a bit in terms of progression.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I’ve been curious about the warm up set question as well. My heaviest lift is only 50 pounds right now and I’ve been doing one warm up set of roughly half the weight to get into the habit of it. I understand that warm up sets are important at heavier weights, but I hate to think of how long workouts must get with all those sets plus longer rests. I’ve been loving getting into lifting, but one hour is just about my perfect length, including a general warm up and cool down, and I’m about 45-50 minutes now.

50 pounds at what lift?

Some of my "lighter" lifts are like a dumbell press with 40's. I would only do a set with 30's first, maybe a couple reps at 35. Really it's a 30 second thing.

What would you consider lighter or higher rep where you wouldn't warm up as much? I really only do a larger warm-up (bar, 30%,60%, 80% of working weight etc) if I was doing 6 reps or under per set of a main lift. If I am doing 8-12 reps I would probably just warm up once or with the bar. Depends on the lift .. mostly I kind of go by feel. I probably don't warm up as much as I should though, then again I don't lift very heavy nowhere close to my 1RM.

Oh...yeah totally. Let's say I would going to do Good Mornings for 95lbx8-12...I'd do the barx8, 65x8, 85 for a couple.

If I'm going to do light hip thrusts like 135x15-20 reps I won't even warm up. At that point I've already squatted and done some leg work as well. And I'm not gonna mess around putting anything less than 135 on the bar.

Yup makes sense, thanks! I could probably stand to warm up a bit more on certain lifts, I am going to make sure I really warm up on the upper body stuff because I am struggling a bit in terms of progression.

Oh yeah. You said you've had an upper body injury too. Good idea.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited April 2018
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I don't stretch or do warm up sets.

Use to to them but found that I didn't need them. They take too much time and can tire you out if you do too many.

If you feel the need to do them, just a few reps w/an unweighted bar (or just a broomstick) should be enough IMO.

So if you're squatting 300-400 pounds that day you just put it on the bar and get at it?

I'm 67 and only weigh 155 and don't squat that heavy.

However, I currently squat the 1RM equivalent of 260 by routinely doing 3 sets of12x190 w/o any warm up whatsoever. It's set up like that in my rack and I just get under the bar and squat it cold.

I have done a true 1RM squat of 240 at 160BW (which was heavy for me at 1.5x BW) and only did a few warm up BW squats b4 successfully completing it. The lift was difficult for me but not because of the lack of warmup.

I also routinely DL the 1RM equivalent of 400 by doing 3 sets of 12x260 w/o warmup. Have also done a true DL 1RM at 360 at 160 (2.25x BW) w/o warmup w/o any problems apart from the heaviness of the weight itself. Warming up would not have made it any easier.

If you feel the need to warmup extensively before lifting heavy weight, do whatever you think is best for you, but personally I have found that don't need to warmup at all and have not suffered any injuries or failed to lift a weight due to a lack of warmup beforehand.

Based on this experience, if I was strong enough to actually squat 300-400, I probably would not do anything differently.
  • bbell1985

Use to to them but found that I didn't need them. They take too much time and can tire you out if you do too many.

If you feel the need to do them, just a few reps w/an unweighted bar (or just a broomstick) should be enough IMO.

So if you're squatting 300-400 pounds that day you just put it on the bar and get at it?

However, I currently squat the 1RM equivalent of 260 by routinely doing 3 sets of12x190 w/o any warm up whatsoever. It's set up like that in my rack and I just get under the bar and squat it cold.

I have done a true 1RM squat of 240 at 160BW (which was heavy for me at 1.5x BW) and only did a few warm up BW squats b4 successfully completing it. The lift was difficult for me but not because of the lack of warmup.

I also routinely DL the 1RM equivalent of 400 by doing 3 sets of 12x260 w/o warmup. Have also done a true DL 1RM at 360 at 160 (2.25x BW) w/o warmup w/o any problems apart from the heaviness of the weight itself. Warming up would not have made it any easier.

If you feel the need to warmup extensively before lifting heavy weight, do whatever you think is best for you, but personally I have found that don't need to warmup at all and have not suffered any injuries or failed to lift a weight due to a lack of warmup beforehand.

Based on this experience, if I was strong enough to actually squat 300-400, I probably would not do anything differently.

lol okay. Thank you for that extensive response in which you describe yourself warming up.

My 1RM squat is 240 as well. My warm up would only take a few minute to hit.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Honestly, I have no idea about % of one rep max. It appears you are talking about bench. In which case, I just warm up with 185. My sets look like:
    185x8
    225x8
    245 to failure (4-6)
    225 to failure
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    If you're talking squats, I do similar. I just start with 135 to warm up and do more volume. My squat set look like this currently:
    135x8
    185x8
    225x8
    275x6
    315 to failure (5 reps yesterday)
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    I keep iot simple and just do a few lifts as I add a plate so if I was squatting 100kg I would start with an empty bar, then add the 20kg plates, then add the 15 or 10 kg plates, then add the final plates and squat
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

lol okay. Thank you for that extensive response in which you describe yourself warming up.

Where do you see a warmup?

He does 3 work sets of 12x190 and 12x260 for squat and Deadlift?

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    h1udd wrote: »
    I keep iot simple and just do a few lifts as I add a plate so if I was squatting 100kg I would start with an empty bar, then add the 20kg plates, then add the 15 or 10 kg plates, then add the final plates and squat

That sounds really doable, and easy to keep track of.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    I just add a plate each side as I go

Usually 20 reps bar

8 @ 60
    8 @ 100
    6 @ 140
    6 @ 180
    6 @ 220

Then work sets and usually 1 back off set
  • bbell1985

Where do you see a warmup?

He does 3 work sets of 12x190 and 12x260 for squat and Deadlift?

True true. I wouldn’t be warming up much for sets of 12 either.