Woman who can maintain on 2000+ calories...how?!

Options
kaygold
kaygold Posts: 92 Member
edited April 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I am SO envious when I hear some woman say they can maintain on 2000-2300 calories!

I'm 5'7, weigh 128 (Goal is 120-125), and burn 2000 calories a week (3 days HIIT, 1 day indoor cycling, 2 rest days of 1hr walks).

I'm not in maintenance yet, but getting close I think; I am currently losing eating 1740 a day. When I run my numbers via various TDEE calculators, the best I get for maintenance is slightly over 1900...booooo

So, for you women out there who are able to maintain at an intake of 2000 +, can you tell me how much you work out to have that maintain ace intake? Your stats like height and weight would be helpful as well!

I want to be a part of club 2000+ too!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much are you losing per week on 1740?
  • kaygold
    Options
    Mmmm, I'd say it takes me about 2.5 to lose a pound, so a 1/3rd of a pound a week? I don't like to weigh myself weekly, since the scale doesn't move that quickly, so I can't get more accurate than that I'm afraid
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 118 lbs and my maintenance cals, per my FitBit and my actual results, are around 2100 right now. It usually goes up in the summer when I'm more active, to around 2200-2300. I average 12K steps a day right now and do circuit training with light weights a couple times a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    I am SO envious when I hear some woman say they can maintain on 2000-2300 calories!

I'm 5'7, weigh 128 (Goal is 120-125), and burn 2000 calories a week (3 days HIIT, 1 day indoor cycling, 2 rest days of 1hr walks).

I'm not in maintenance yet, but getting close I think; I am currently losing eating 1740 a day. When I run my numbers via various TDEE calculators, the best I get for maintenance is slightly over 1900...booooo

So, for you women out there who are able to maintain at an intake of 2000 +, can you tell me how much you work out to have that maintain ace intake? Your stats like height and weight would be helpful as well!

I want to be a part of club 2000+ too!

My wife is a mere 5'2"/5'3" and she maintains on around 2300 - 2500. Granted, she has an athletic build and is relatively muscular...her usual maintenance weight is around 125, but she's pretty lean at that weight...just more muscular than a lot of women so that probably helps her with her TDEE.

I would say that your choice of exercise probably isn't the best in regards to calorie burns. HIIT is typically 20-30 minutes tops and doesn't really burn that many calories. It's excellent for improving fitness, but it really doesn't do much for calorie burn.

My wife runs 5x per week...usually 45 - 60 minutes for general fitness and she lifts 1x per week. She runs more if she's 1/2 marathon training and can also maintain on the higher end of her calorie range. She also tries to get in around 8K-10K steps outside of deliberate exercise.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    5'3" tall, 118-120 pounds. About to turn 44. During the week I burn around 1800-2000 calories a day, but on the weekends that goes up to 2300-2500. I walk a lot. 12-16k steps a day. During the week I don't workout that much. I do a single belly dance class and I might fit in a couple of 30-45 minute weight lifting sessions. On Saturdays I ride my horse and on Sundays I have a pretty intense 3 hour aerial arts training session.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, about 115 pounds. I maintain on about 2,100. I run 30-90 minutes a day (34-40 miles a week usually) and do body weight resistance training six days a week. I do additional walking when I can, gets me to about 15,000 steps a day average. I also find that I burn more in the summer because I am outside so much more (and it's marathon training season). In the summer, it's more like 2,400 to maintain.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    Mmmm, I'd say it takes me about 2.5 to lose a pound, so a 1/3rd of a pound a week? I don't like to weigh myself weekly, since the scale doesn't move that quickly, so I can't get more accurate than that I'm afraid

Within the level of precision you're describing you're already in the 2000 Cal club.

You may want to enter your weigh ins over time into a weight trend application such as Happy Scale (iphone), Libra (android), weighgrapher.com (web) or trendweight.com (web, requires you to use a freely available without a band fitbit account for data entry or to have a supported scale)

Cycling and walking may provide you with more total calories burned than HIIT **DEPENDING** on total time you engage in each activity.

Other things you may want to explore is making sure you don't have long periods of inactivity during your day. There are a few threads around about increasing your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    5'3.75" and maintain on 2100. I workout 6 days a week, strength training and a little running (23 miles per week). I get an average 15,000 steps per day (including exercise/running).

I am currently working on fat loss and cutting at 1850.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my maintenance weight is 125-130lbs. I can maintain eating between 2000 and 2500 calories depending on my activity for the day. I've worked to increase my NEAT so that I'm able to eat this much. I make an effort to get in a lot of steps and fidget at my desk. Prior to doing this, my maintenance was about 1800-1900 and I wasn't satisfied on that amount.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, female, 18, and would consider myself for the most part very active. Still trying to find out my maintenance calories, but it is definitely above 2000. Eating 2100, if I'm still losing weight I'll eat 2200. It really does depend on a lot of things though, I only weigh 111 and am surprised I need more than 2000, but being active is really the reason I need that much.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I wish mine were 2000, I'm 5'4 & mine are 1700 but I'm good with that most of the time
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    5'4", upper 120s at the moment. Had my RMR lab tested, and including exercise, my TDEE is about 2100-2200. When my thyroid is behaving, I lose appropriately based on that, so it's fairly accurate.

But, my body fat is in the "lean"/"athletic" range (between 20-22 percent), and I'm super active -- walk at least a couple of miles every day, run 20 MPW, spin, barre, etc.
  • kaygold
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the responses so far! I appreciate everyone taking the time to read, and advise to help me be a part of team 2000 + :smile:

So, a trend I'm seeing is that a lot of you have a high daily step/activity count. I have a desk job, and the nature of my job makes it really hard to for me to get a lot of steps in. I try to compensate by doing 1 hr sessions after work 1 to 3 times during the work week, but I def acknowledge it isn't enough to offset the benefit in being able to be more active everyday.

I get a good portion of my activity during the weekend, so maybe I should try to up my activity even more. I could trade in an active rest day for another work out, or add a couple more walks/strength training sessions in.

As some of you mentioned, I could already be in the 2000 maintenance range, and just not know. I've not tried to steadily increase my cals to find my maintenance yet (a little anxious on doing this since I've been in a deficit for a while) , so maybe that would be a nice surprise ; 1950 really isn't that far from 2000.

I appreciate the feedback on my weight goals, and 120 possibly being too low for my height. I think I keep looking at 120 because that was the number I had in my head when I started out, but I'm siting in a double 0 skirt size right now, so going for 120 could just be stupid, and a vanity goal I need to let go of! 125, aka 3 more pounds lost would be good for me, that way I had a 5 lbs range (125-130) for maintenance.

I strength train the days I do HIIT, (3-4 times a week). Actually, as a side note, I probably shouldn't say HIIT; I'm just in the habit of describing my work out that way because when I say orange theory, there are just so many questions, lol! But OTF really isn't a TRUE HIIT workout. Anyways, because of the strength training I do, I'm pretty happy with my body composition. It doesn't make sense as I am in a deficit, but I swear I have built muscle. There is room for improvement of course, but I'm fairly lean.

At the sake of sounding silly, rather than being unhappy with my body, I really just want to be able to eat more than a measly 160 additional calories when I get into maintenance :blush: Especially if I start to recomp, I don't know if the 160 more would keep me satisfied
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my maintenance at 135 lbs was around 2200. Being a bit heavier obviously helps, and I aim for 15k steps a day (that's usually 2 hour walks for me, plus normal activity).

I say 'was' because 2200 calories was too little calories for me and I've gained some weight back (I'm always hungry, and often tired of not being able to fit in treats, so I have too many 'I don't care anymore' days). I'm 40.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm 62, 5'5", can maintain in the 120s in the low 2000s. (Pity I keep exceeding that on the reg lately! ;) ). Exercise adds 200-300 to that - spin class 2 days a week, rowing (on water) 4 days a week in season, less rowing (machine :( ) off season. Random other stuff irregularly (bike, swim, walk, yoga, weights, carpentry, gardening, whatev).

Short term, work on increasing exercise (if possible while keeping happy life balance!), and strive to increase non-exercise activity (NEAT) levels. There are some ideas here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss

Long term, creep your calories up gradually to maintenance while pushing NEAT. Also, build muscle:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Best wishes!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the 130s I can only maintain on 1800. I'm like 147 right now and I think I'm finally maintaining closer to 2000 now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    When I'm in the 130s I can only maintain on 1800. I'm like 147 right now and I think I'm finally maintaining closer to 2000 now.

I hear you. I don't like my body right now but I'm not stressing out about every single event anymore either. I have to find the balance somewhere.