Woman who can maintain on 2000+ calories...how?!

Options
124»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    I'm 5'1.5", and my TDEE at my perfect weight of 125# (not there yet) will be 1632 calories without exercise. If I spend an hour walking on the treadmill (3.7 mph, 5K, 15% incline), I burn an additional 584 calories. If I walk 5 days a week, that's easily 2050 calories a day, 7 days a week. Sure, it takes a chunk of time, but I listen to audiobooks and pretend it's "me" time. Until the kids interrupt 20 times. :D

Something must be very wrong with me because I can't even do 3mph at 3% for 1 hour every day without getting a constant ache in my legs.

have you never got that checked out @Francl27, you mention it during different posts, I thought it might have eased or things might have changed by now :/

I should, but not really in the budget to spend hundreds of dollars in tests now.

I can understand that, that's one of the positives from living in the UK, free health service.
    As a young woman you really shouldn't be having the aches/pains you do in your legs.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    But you should be losing at a decent rate on 1600, no?

If I could muster the discipline of 1600 gross cals for even a week, I'd feel lighter and drop a scale weight. The cut I want to do is: net 1300 calories for 2 weeks with ON POINT logging (not my current 75%-of-the-time 100% accurate logging and "meh, who cares?" dinner / evening snack approach).

My problem is that I'm impatient and too active. I choose a super aggressive 1.5/week fat loss goal, which requires a major calorie reduction. My activity level is too high and intense though (and I don't want to cut back right now - we're in a challenge month). That requires extra discipline I don't seem to have right now. Really, I haven't committed. The problem isn't the cardio. It's just me dragging my feet.

But if that's you in that profile pic, 1.5lb is far too aggressive a loss and you'll end up losing muscle...

lol... uh no, that profile pic is from 2 years ago when I weighed about 13lbs less than I do now (and could only chest press 25lb dumbbells).

I was 5’11 and 143ish - 147 lbs with very different fitness goals / a different workout routine. I was eating an avg of 1750 gross calories.

I currently eat around 2600 gross calories every day. And it’s a struggle to stick to 2000. I assure you my muscles are just fine!

• _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    But you should be losing at a decent rate on 1600, no?

If I could muster the discipline of 1600 gross cals for even a week, I'd feel lighter and drop a scale weight. The cut I want to do is: net 1300 calories for 2 weeks with ON POINT logging (not my current 75%-of-the-time 100% accurate logging and "meh, who cares?" dinner / evening snack approach).

My problem is that I'm impatient and too active. I choose a super aggressive 1.5/week fat loss goal, which requires a major calorie reduction. My activity level is too high and intense though (and I don't want to cut back right now - we're in a challenge month). That requires extra discipline I don't seem to have right now. Really, I haven't committed. The problem isn't the cardio. It's just me dragging my feet.

try and work on the impatience, that's too aggressive a cut...

I am certainly aware of how aggressive it is. There are other factors in play, however - not the least of which is how much worse I do on slow and steady cuts. I wasn’t looking for advice / to hijack the thread, which is why I haven’t laid it all out.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I'm 5'7 135 and maintain on 2,300-2,500 calories a day. I workout for an hour 4 days a week and the other three do light walking for 45 minutes. On top of that I try to hit at least 10,000-12,000 steps a day. I know for me I could not maintain 120, my body just doesn't have it and I feel like crap. 135 seems to be my happy weight :)

I'm so glad to actually find someone with the same stats as me!!! I'm also 5'7 and currently 136. About 2 years ago I weighed 125 and that was not manageable at all. I was skinny with no muscle and not eating enough. I'm super content now with my weight but wanted to know other people in similar situations!!! I'm trying to figure out my maintenance intake..
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I run to eat. I'm 5'7" and a bit, weigh around 135, and am 44. When I was in my 20's I could maintain on around 2000 or more without exercise (was a lazy sod back then, didn't exercise and ate a lot of junk food. Not sure of exact numbers as I didn't track back then and was about 20-30lbs heavier). These days, on inactive days I can only eat 1600 calories. As an avid lover of food, I run three to four days a week, which gives me an extra 400-1000 calories each time, depending on the distance, and I'm super active - loads of walking and yoga and running round after small children. However, I'm sure being hypothyroid doesn't help my maintenance calorie level either.