Yoghurt

Options
I can't find a pack of yoghurt that aren't just full of sugar. I would love to get like a 6 pack kind of thing but I can't find any that are healthy. Any suggestions? Is yoghurt good or bad for you?

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Like anything, it depends what’s in it and how you define good and bad. Yogurt has calcium and protein and lots of stuff you need, but if you eat too much, like anything else, you’ll put on weight. If you like it and the calories fit, it can definitely be part of a healthy and balanced diet.

You can either get a bigger tub of plain yogurt and portion it out yourself (to your point, I haven’t seen a 6 pack of plain before) or you could get Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, which is pretty similar. Those I’ve definitely seen in 6 packs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No foods or nutrients are healthy or unhealthy, it's all about context and proportions, dosage and frequency. If you're looking out for "added sugar", that is present if you, or the manufactorer, adds it, in the form of sugar, or jam, or honey or other things. You could buy natural yogurt, but there will still be naturally occurring lactose in it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sugar isnt unhealthy. The amount people tend to eat is whats unhealthy. Your body uses sugars. If your worrying so much over the sugar in a yogurt your likely making your life way to complicated, Eat the yogurt if you like the yogurt an it fits your calories. Healthy is in variety and balance.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No foods or nutrients are healthy or unhealthy, it's all about context and proportions, dosage and frequency. If you're looking out for "added sugar", that is present if you, or the manufactorer, adds it, in the form of sugar, or jam, or honey or other things. You could buy natural yogurt, but there will still be naturally occurring lactose in it.

Exactly all yoghurt is made from milk so there will be lactose present along with potentially fructose if fruit flavoured. Personally I just try and avoid the added sugar varieties which I tend to find are the fat free options.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Fage yogurt is good, the link shows the nutrition.

https://uk.fage/yoghurts/fage-total?gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbISK-u5cSYXLcWEdcGkyzJOdf7Pi7Jtb5BfyKwrej9-MCTD-Aor_aQaAsgeEALw_wcB#fage-total-0

Its not sugar/fat or whatever that makes us gain weight, its eating more than we burn.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »

Exactly all yoghurt is made from milk so there will be lactose present along with potentially fructose if fruit flavoured. Personally I just try and avoid the added sugar varieties which I tend to find are the fat free options.

There is less lactose in Greek Yogurt than you might expect as some of it's removed by the straining that occurs when it's being made (it only has around 30% of the lactose that the same volume of milk would).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I buy Siggi's brand--it's lower in sugar than a lot of other brands. It doesn't come in the little 6-packs but it does come in tubes...
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I prefer my yogurt plain and full-fat, so I just portion out the large tubs into individual servings in reusable cups. A 6-pack would be nice, but I’ve never seen any for unsweetened varieties. Upsides: Cheaper and less packaging.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Second vote for fage! I eat the 0% fage everyday with some fresh blackberries. Except for weekends when I go in full parfait mode: dark chocolate almond granola, almond butter, blackberries, and a smidge of whipped cream.

Flavored yogurts just taste too sickly sweet to me. My roommate thinks I am crazy, but I do love tart things.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how long they've been around but I recently discovered Sola yogurt (they have other products I have yet to try). They are sweetened with artificial sweeteners so if you are looking for something that is still sweet, without the additional calories in the added sugar, you may want to give them a try...

solasweet.com/catalog/category/view/id/4
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I too love Fage! I like plain yogurt and if I want fruit I'll add my own,dunno how anyone can stand fruity premade yogurt and the"lite" ones are just absolutely disgusting to me
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    I prefer my yogurt plain and full-fat, so I just portion out the large tubs into individual servings in reusable cups. A 6-pack would be nice, but I’ve never seen any for unsweetened varieties. Upsides: Cheaper and less packaging.

I do this, and then add protein powder and berries. It's my breakfast pretty much every day.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Look for plain yogurt with no added sugar. I am not sure that they are sold in 6 packs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »

I do this, and then add protein powder and berries. It's my breakfast pretty much every day.

This is me, except with granola and frozen cherries
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I can't find a pack of yoghurt that aren't just full of sugar. I would love to get like a 6 pack kind of thing but I can't find any that are healthy. Any suggestions? Is yoghurt good or bad for you?

Plain yogurt...anything that has fruit and whatnot will have sugar from that fruit and usually added sugar as well.

If I do yogurt, I buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fruit...usually blueberries.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Team Plain Yogurt! I add either a diced apple or banana, and sliced almonds. It satisfies all the creamy and crunchy needs. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Plain yogurt...anything that has fruit and whatnot will have sugar from that fruit and usually added sugar as well.

If I do yogurt, I buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fruit...usually blueberries.

Two different diabetes instructors brought up Greek yogurt as a great snack; turned out both were pushing the fruity kind with added sugars and the first seemed to think I was crazy for reading off the stats for plain. Uh, for the same amount of carbs, I can have more protein and, if I use a little less and add berries, more fiber, why wouldn't a diabetic eat plain? (Flavor preference being one obvious answer, but she just acted like plain didn't really exist)
  • bstaxp
    bstaxp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Aldi's has low cost and delicious plain greek and non-greek, full-fat and no-fat yogurts, as well as a great vanilla non-fat "lite-n-fit" knock off - yum! (I cut the non-fat greek vanilla with non-fat greek plain to reduce the sweetness). Pretty sure all of them are around 6g carbs (sugar) likely all from the natural milk sugar (lactose). Tasty and economical!
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bstaxp wrote: »
    Aldi's has low cost and delicious plain greek and non-greek, full-fat and no-fat yogurts, as well as a great vanilla non-fat "lite-n-fit" knock off - yum! (I cut the non-fat greek vanilla with non-fat greek plain to reduce the sweetness). Pretty sure all of them are around 6g carbs (sugar) likely all from the natural milk sugar (lactose). Tasty and economical!

Thanks I will have to check them out, currently enjoying Skyr but it's not cheap when full price.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like Astro Baltic style. I have also made a whole bunch of home made from a quart of milk which can’t be beat for the price. I use a candy thermometer for accuracy and incubate the yogurt overnight in a warm sealed cooler.

For single servings I use snack size mason jars over and over again.