Weight loss or Recomp?

Options
leebrayshaw
leebrayshaw Posts: 10 Member
I've been logging everything on MFP for around 2 weeks now, and really finding it useful. However, I'm not really sure if I should be looking to lose weight or going for re-composition?

I'm a 25 year old male weighing in at 153lbs, around 5'10". I know it's a pretty healthy weight but I've got excess fat around the belly and muffin tops that I want to get rid of.
Originally I set out to lose 0.5lbs a week, which gave me a calorie goal of just over 1800. I go running ~5 times a week but sit down most of the day as I work in an office (sedentary). All exercise is logged and I eat back the majority of those calories.

Is this what I should be doing to lose the fat? Or should I be looking to up the exercise to build muscle and eating calories to maintain?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Recomp would probably suit you better if it's just aesthetics you're wanting to improve.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • taytayfit94
    taytayfit94 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would focus mostly on weight training instead of running or in addition to running. You are at a good point for that, also weight training helps you burn calories through out the day longer than cardio does. :)
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Recomp is ideal for people who are new to fitness. You are probably right in the wheelhouse for recomp. You are basically the ideal target person.

http://romanfitnesssystems.com/articles/body-recomp/

You'll want to eat at a deficit either way, but recomp factors in some maintenance days.

Here's the thing: if you just want to lose fat, then eat at a deficit and don't worry about it. You'll lose weight. But you'll also lose muscle and in the end you might just end up being a slimmer version of your current muffin-top self.

What you probably really want is more muscle and less fat. To do that, recomp. Recomp is no ideal for most of us, but for you it is. You're going to get a lot out of newbie gains. Your body will respond to the training well.

So I'd read up on the good recomp literature. Then start a lifting routine. Something like StrongLifts would do you well. Run on the off days if you want, but it won't be totally necessary for the recomp (but cardiovascular conditioning will help with lifting).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Get in the weight room and start lifting with a good, established program. I'd still eat a smallish deficit, but lifting is going to do more for your body composition than just losing weight or running all of the time.
  • leebrayshaw
    Options
    Thanks all for your help.

Is there a lifting programme you can do at home? Or do they all involve work in the gym?
    Any help choosing a decent workout would be ideal :smile:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your help.

Is there a lifting programme you can do at home? Or do they all involve work in the gym?
    Any help choosing a decent workout would be ideal :smile:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Whether you lose (from what I personally consider already a light weight for your height...) or decide to maintain weight add strength training to your regime. (It doesn't have to be cardio OR weights.....)

Young, male (and I guess new to lifting) you are in a good place to make excellent progress while eating at maintenance.
  • leebrayshaw
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!

It's been around a month and I'm down to 149lbs. No strength training, still running and in a deficit.
    Looking in the mirror, a pleasing amount of fat has gone. I've never had much upper body strength, so can only presume I've lost some muscle too. I'm definitely, as you guys advised I would be, a skinnier version of my muffin top self.

I've chosen the M&S Dumbbell programme to start today. It strongly advises to eat at a surplus. Would that not be bulking? I've reset my goal on MFP to maintain current weight. Thoughts?