Sleep -issue?-

JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Thoughts appreciated.

Im not quite sure if this is a problem or not but iv noticed for the past month or so iv fallen into a weird sleep pattern. I go to bed around 10-11 relatively fine, And wake up at 6-630 fine. Dont even need an alarm because the thing is and i stress this part, Im waking up every hour and a half. Like exactly. I generally go pee or whatever and fall asleep again fast, But i am wide awake for a few minutes every hour and a half.

Im not necessarily tired, I wake up feeling energy in abundance but it seems to go away faster. A bit weirded out by exactly how precise it seems to be and im not sure why its happening. Iv tried not drinking water for a bit before bed incase its need to pee waking me, Iv taken melatonin, Iv tried exhausting myself completely with a super busy active day. Without fail im still waking up exactly every hour and a half.

I used to sleep for hourssss easily and i was up all night, but now it seems like im wide awake after a few hours and sort of just choosing to sleep more 1.5 hour cycles until 6-630 comes around. And again i stress its nightly its every day now not just occasionally. Its just super weird.

Any thoughts on why this may have started happening or if it may be good/bad?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Do you take pre-workout/caffeine in the evening? Sugar/high carb dinner ordessert?
  • JaydedMiss
    edited April 2018
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Do you take pre-workout/caffeine in the evening? Sugar/high carb dinner ordessert?

No. Nothing has changed with my diet and no i tested caffeine its never effected me but its still something i tried cutting early to see if it caused this, No bueno, I have upped protein lately so carbs are actually lower by a bit, But i did that after the sleep started
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    As years go by, it has become harder and harder for me to sleep through the night. I have to be extremely diligent about my sleep hygiene. One part of that is stopping drinking liquids at dinner and stopping caffeine a few hours earlier. You may not be stopping drinking early enough.

It could also be time for a new mattress. Or, if you just got a new mattress, then you got the wrong mattress for you ;)
  • JaydedMiss
    Welcome to getting older! Wait until you are my age. Ugh

im only 24 :( I hate that im beggining to get old lol
  • JaydedMiss
    seems like you guys are talkign about sleep problems and i guess i am to im just confused because this time it feels different its not so much having issues sleeping as the whole weirdly perfect schedule just suddenly startign and how i feel during it. I feel wide awake when i wake up like i could go running off to the gym even after just the first 1-2 1.5 hour rotations, Im not sure its carrying through the day very well though. Am i just getting old O_O
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Welcome to getting older! Wait until you are my age. Ugh

im only 24 :( I hate that im beggining to get old lol

I knew you were somewhere at that age, I was just teasing you.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited April 2018
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That started happening to me after chemotherapy (chemotherapy induced menopause - so I don't know whether it which of the two it was, or both). I tried everything: Home remedies, folk tales, you name it. I went to a sleep clinic, got treated for sleep apnea . . . all that did was help me sleep more soundly for an hour and a half. Drugs just made me wake up groggier every hour and a half. This went on for around 3 years.

Finally, the thing that helped - and I will get woo-ed for this - was hypnotherapy. It wasn't a total solution, but I started sleeping for 3-5 hours in the first chunk of sleep each night, which was a huge improvement. This was maybe 15 years ago, and the problem has eased further with passage of time, but I still have fairly frequent sleep interruptions compared to the times before this started happening.

One thing that exists now, that didn't then, is time-release sleeping drugs. I doubt they would've worked, but I don't know for sure.

I don't mean to be a downer, and yours may have a different cause than mine (cause of mine still unknown). Deep sympathies - the effects of this are pretty awful, I know!

Hope you find a solution!

@AnnPT77 it may be menopausal like....and that sounds crazy since im 24...but i have PCOS so my hormones are all fuckey i havent had my period in nearly a year now lol. I never really thought of hormones being a possability....Since iv had it for ages and never really had a often period...maybe once every 3-6 months or so. Think hormones are a possible cause?

and lol ya hypnotherapy does sound woo filled but i know you your good peopel if you say its good ill definatly keep that in mind if this keeps up lol
  • JaydedMiss
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I've never been a good sleeper and am quite familiar with the 90-minute nap sleep pattern! What has really helped me in the last couple of years is to use a sleep mask. I'm pretty conditioned now to close my eyes and go back to sleep when I wake up during the night. My guess is that since I can't see a clock to start spinning about how much sleep I'm missing with these wake-up episodes or be affected by any ambient light in my room, it makes it easier to just rollover and go back to sleep. Either that or I'm actually a parrot and when you put a blanket over my cage (or a mask over my eyes), I zonk out :D

glad that helps you sadly im a freak who needs to buy new pillows every 2 weeks because they get to soft and if my head sinks into it even a tiny bit and goes near my nose i cant sleep i feel like im suffocating lol. Sadly a sleep mask on me would be the same way xD Nothing near my nose when i sleep. Im weird i know lol
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,163 Member
    I've never been a good sleeper and am quite familiar with the 90-minute nap sleep pattern! What has really helped me in the last couple of years is to use a sleep mask. I'm pretty conditioned now to close my eyes and go back to sleep when I wake up during the night. My guess is that since I can't see a clock to start spinning about how much sleep I'm missing with these wake-up episodes or be affected by any ambient light in my room, it makes it easier to just rollover and go back to sleep. Either that or I'm actually a parrot and when you put a blanket over my cage (or a mask over my eyes), I zonk out :D

glad that helps you sadly im a freak who needs to buy new pillows every 2 weeks because they get to soft and if my head sinks into it even a tiny bit and goes near my nose i cant sleep i feel like im suffocating lol. Sadly a sleep mask on me would be the same way xD Nothing near my nose when i sleep. Im weird i know lol

That bugged me at first too--then I switched to the kind that look like a bra for your eyes instead of the flat ones and it made a big difference in comfort for my nose and it didn't tickle my eyelashes either. Masks bug a lot of people though...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

That bugged me at first too--then I switched to the kind that look like a bra for your eyes instead of the flat ones and it made a big difference in comfort for my nose and it didn't tickle my eyelashes either. Masks bug a lot of people though...

Googling
  • JaydedMiss
    gotta say im loving this visual. Ill take a look at a few stores next time im in the mall and see if i can find one. It cant hurt to try. Sleep is stupid important i dont like the weird super high energy mixed with super low energy. I want my relatively stable energy levels back :(
  • JaydedMiss

Googling

i tried to google bra for your eyes. lol. Just girls in bras
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I would suggest hormones as others have. I have similar sleep issues and it's related to hormones (and I have kids who keep me awake on top of it). I sleep with a sound machine and it helps a lot because I'm such a light sleeper. Any little noise will wake me up. I've tried a sleep mask and it did help but I had a hard time keeping it on. I also take melatonin, but I've found certain brands are weaker than others for the same dosage. I like Vitafusion Extra Strength best.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    You wake up feeling OK? This new situation is not causing you harm or negatively affecting the hours you are awake? If the above are true, I'm not sure what your question is. Patterns are interesting, fascinating, but not in themselves cause for concern.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That started happening to me after chemotherapy (chemotherapy induced menopause - so I don't know whether it which of the two it was, or both). I tried everything: Home remedies, folk tales, you name it. I went to a sleep clinic, got treated for sleep apnea . . . all that did was help me sleep more soundly for an hour and a half. Drugs just made me wake up groggier every hour and a half. This went on for around 3 years.

Finally, the thing that helped - and I will get woo-ed for this - was hypnotherapy. It wasn't a total solution, but I started sleeping for 3-5 hours in the first chunk of sleep each night, which was a huge improvement. This was maybe 15 years ago, and the problem has eased further with passage of time, but I still have fairly frequent sleep interruptions compared to the times before this started happening.

One thing that exists now, that didn't then, is time-release sleeping drugs. I doubt they would've worked, but I don't know for sure.

I don't mean to be a downer, and yours may have a different cause than mine (cause of mine still unknown). Deep sympathies - the effects of this are pretty awful, I know!

Hope you find a solution!

@AnnPT77 it may be menopausal like....and that sounds crazy since im 24...but i have PCOS so my hormones are all fuckey i havent had my period in nearly a year now lol. I never really thought of hormones being a possability....Since iv had it for ages and never really had a often period...maybe once every 3-6 months or so. Think hormones are a possible cause?

and lol ya hypnotherapy does sound woo filled but i know you your good peopel if you say its good ill definatly keep that in mind if this keeps up lol

No idea. I've heard other women say they had more trouble sleeping post-menopause, but don't recall hearing the 90-minute pattern in that respect. I never figured mine out, just got it under control enough that I could cope with life. I know a woman who says she didn't sleep (at all, she claimed) for 2 years after chemotherapy, but learned to substitute meditation.

For the hypnosis, I found a credentialed psychologist who used it in her practice. I paid for 6 sessions, the first of which was an interview (to collect info about me to help with the hypnosis), and the rest were hypnosis sessions. She'd record each session, and I was to play the recording when I was in bed every night until the next session (2 week intervals). Later, I could continue rotating the same records at whatever intervals I wished, as long as I used each for the same number of days in a row.

I really had no belief that the hypnosis would work. I was desperate - willing to try anything. I don't know why it helped.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Have you tried taking magnesium just before you go to sleep? I take a 400mg capsule few nights a week because I also have the tendency to awake up several times in the middle of the night and when I do, I have to use the bathroom; but since I started taking magnesium I am up only twice at night (every 3 hours or so), but I go back to sleep without a problem. I am old so not sleeping thru the night is common at my age.

However, if you keep having frequent irregular sleep patterns you may need to see a doctor. Maybe he can check your hormones levels or send you to a sleep clinic, if needed. Hope that everything gets better for you soon and try to limit alcohol intake at night. You may fall asleep faster first but awake several times during the night since alcohol disrupts our sleep patterns.
  • JaydedMiss
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Have you tried taking magnesium just before you go to sleep? I take a 400mg capsule few nights a week because I also have the tendency to awake up several times in the middle of the night and when I do, I have to use the bathroom; but since I started taking magnesium I am up only twice at night (every 3 hours or so), but I go back to sleep without a problem. I am old so not sleeping thru the night is common at my age.

However, if you keep having frequent irregular sleep patterns you may need to see a doctor. Maybe he can check your hormones levels or send you to a sleep clinic, if needed. Hope that everything gets better for you soon and try to limit alcohol intake at night. You may fall asleep faster first but awake several times during the night since alcohol disrupts our sleep patterns.

ya i dont drink at all anymore, havent in 2 years :p i will research magnesium this isnt the first iv heard as far as good things about it go thankyou