I'm debating on keto

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just setting up MFP with your stats, activity level, and a reasonable rate of loss for the amount of weight you have to lose? Getting a calorie target from MFP then eating a variety of foods within that calorie target - focusing on foods that provide nutrition, satiety and enjoyment? Logging everything you eat as accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale?

This approach works no matter what type of foods you like or what you feel is better (for you) to restrict.

Vegan, Keto, Clean Eating - those are all personal choices and won't guarantee weight loss if you aren't in a calorie deficit. No particular "diet" offers long term advantages for weight loss, it all comes down to CICO, and finding a way of eating that you find sustainable and enjoyable.

• MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    xlinaxmx wrote: »
    Hey!

So like everyone else .... I'm amazed by people on keto. They loose so much. I'm trying to basically loose baby weight. Prior to baby I was a vegan and I don't plan on being vegan anymore. (If that helps sway your decision)
    I originally was on a strict Cal's In Cal's out low fat healthy eating diet and I went from 210 to 193 in about a month and a half.. lets just say two. My friend lost like 25 on keto I the same about of time and she dosent even work out. (I do )

So my question is for long term and matinance, what is the best diet? Once I get my goal (120) I don't want to gain again. So I feel like keto isn't something I should do for life. Should I just stick to a low carb, low fat, no processed foods like I was ? Or should I do keto until I'm at my goal.

My issue with keto is keeping it up once I hit goal
    Traveling with keto (I travel a lot and clean eating is eaiser imo)
    I have a family history of heart problems and diabetes, so keto honestly scares me.
    I feel like a crave more junk food on keto. On a clean diet I can have a sugar craving and just eat an apple or banana and feel like I've had my "sweet" keto I just can't.
    I really like black beans lol (no beans on keto)

Thanks !

You answered your own question. If you don't feel that keto is a long term, realistic and sustainable option for you then why bother? Nothing wrong with experimenting with different plans, but you should be focusing on trying ones that you think you may realistically enjoy doing for the next 50 years (or more).

For what it's worth-I'm a long time maintainer. I enjoy experimenting with different foods/plans etc, but my maintenance plan always revolves around CICO and being mindful of my calorie intake. No matter what I'm doing, this is the foundation :)