Looking for Breakfast ideas

Options
AlinaStarshine
AlinaStarshine Posts: 2 Member
Hi! I'm looking for recipes and ideas for quick or make-ahead breakfast. I work in an office, so some times mornings get rushed. I have a bad habit of just grabbing a muffin or bagel on the go for breakfast. So I'm looking for some ideas that I can make ahead of time or that are really quick in the morning.

I prefer savory breakfast foods to sweet, and hoping for something that's lower in sodium or that I can make substitutes for to make lower in sodium. Been trying to google search for it ... but when I look for low sodium breakfast most of what I get is like yogurt with fruit, or pancakes, or other sweets like that.

Replies

• nikkichenlife
    nikkichenlife Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What about whole wheat egg sandwich? It’s easy and quick to make, and you can choose the toppings!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Frittatas. There is a million and 1 things you can put in them and they reheat in a broiler oven decently. You can put them in the microwave if you don't mind the texture change. Since you are making them you can experiment with salt and how low you can go. You can put parm on top because it is a salty cheese but I have no idea what the net savings on sodium are. You can certainly add a spicy element to help cover (somewhat).
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I am on a baked egg kick right now. You can put just about any veggies you like and crack an egg in the center then bake. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/07/baked-eggs-8-ways.html

I also like Hungry Girl's egg mugs too. hungry-girl.com/go-to-guides/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes You can make ahead in a mason jar and then microwave in the morning.

Masonable%2BScrambles4.jpg

I posted this a long time ago but the egg mugs work well for make ahead. You can use a mason jar or a twist top plastic storage container if you don't want to use glass. The best part is you can have variety. I also like oatmeal muffins. Great make ahead and you can put different add ins. You can use banana, applesauce or pumpkin. All work really well in this recipe. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/10/recipe-review-baked-oatmeal.html

More links to make ahead stuff:
    Yogurt: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/12/peachy-crisp-yogurt-jar.html
    Eggs: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/08/masonable-mondays-2-scrambles.html
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Breakfast sandwiches - My favorite is egg, bacon or Jimmy Deans turkey sausage crumbles and cheese on english muffins.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I buy pre boiled eggs at Costco and they come in little packs of 2. I've been having 2 eggs and an avocado lately.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    A lady on here has a wicked breakfast idea that I have seen her post.
    Basically a bag of frozen mixed veggies and I think she said something about the California blend - broccoli cauliflower, etc
    She sautés that with hand fulls of spinch and egg. Portion it.
    Freezes and then just microwaves it at work.
    Pepper, salt and her pic has hot sauce on it.
    Looks so good.
  • richardajasper
    richardajasper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to this diet thing but I like overnight oatmeal with fresh fruits.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A McD sausage biscuit is cheaper than a muffin or bagel, has more protein, and you can throw away the biscuit if it's disgusting to you.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Frittatas. There is a million and 1 things you can put in them and they reheat in a broiler oven decently. You can put them in the microwave if you don't mind the texture change. Since you are making them you can experiment with salt and how low you can go. You can put parm on top because it is a salty cheese but I have no idea what the net savings on sodium are. You can certainly add a spicy element to help cover (somewhat).

This. I love frittata! I bake it in a 9x13 pan, which gives me 6 portions. I make one almost every Sunday.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I make egg muffins. I found a recipe on Pinterest. I make them on Sunday and have them for the rest of the week. Microwave for about 30 seconds and good to go. I also make eggs in egg rings to put on English muffins. I zap those with either Canadian bacon or precooked turkey sausage patty, add cheese and put on a toasted English muffin. You can change the ingredients in either of these to suit you. These help me out in the am. Add a fruit and it is a pretty filling breakfast.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

This. I love frittata! I bake it in a 9x13 pan, which gives me 6 portions. I make one almost every Sunday.

I make these almost every weekend too. They also make a great snack after a workout. I just throw in whatever I have in the fridge at the time: asparagus, bacon, ham, onion, peppers, mushrooms, leftover ground turkey, cheese, spinach, pretty much anything lol. Cleanup hint: if you use a regular muffin tin, use parchment cupcake papers. Or use a silcone muffin tin.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yes to making muffin-tin frittatas! For other savory breakfasts, weekend meal prep will save your life. I like to measure out brown rice with a meat so I can get my protein and carbs in early on. I'll usually do chicken and eggs, or canned tuna if I'm lazy. I'll throw in as a snack in between breakfast and lunch.

If I do something sweet, I'll make myself a slightly big serving of oatmeal with banana, cinnamon, and some milk then split it to eat for breakfast and my morning snack. Mason jars and tupperware are a lifesaver!
  • savagegirl316
    savagegirl316 Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have been making the muffin tin frittatas for YEARS!! They are so great, easy to make and you can change it up with what you put in the, so it doesn't get boring. I have re-useable silicone muffin tins that NEVER stick and work wonders too. I also use them to make mini-meatloaves (I know not breakfast but just as easy)
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Muffin tin frittatas are very good for a quick easy on the go breakfast...

I go for porridge at home with banana on, then mid-morning at work I have scrambled/ poached eggs on toast with smashed avocado. This could be turned into an egg and avocado sandwich/pitta
  • babysladkaya
    babysladkaya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My go-to morning breakfast is an omelet, either plain or with veggies such as spinach, mushrooms and onion (I don't really like peppers or tomatoes in my omelet). I make it the evening before, it literally takes two minutes, put it in a container and reheat at work. I also have two wedges of the Laughing Cow light cheese wedge.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing for several weeks then switch it up. Currently it is scrambled eggs (Or an omelet if I have meat and veggies to put in it) topped with avocado and salsa. Delicious and quick. I cook the eggs before I leave for work (takes like 5 minutes at most). If I am doing an omelet, I chop the veggies/meat the night before.

I have made breakfast burritos ahead of time and froze them in wax paper (if you have the extra calories for a tortilla)

A piece of cheese melted on a piece of toast is another non-sweet option or Avocado toast (I have never had it, but sounds delicious.)

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A McD sausage biscuit is cheaper than a muffin or bagel, has more protein, and you can throw away the biscuit if it's disgusting to you.

At 460 calories that would be nearly half my calories for the day. I love them but they are just too high for me.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Egg sandwiches. Generally, you can make a normal sized sandwich (two pieces of bread or an english muffin, 0.5oz of cheese, one large egg, and 1.5-2 oz of meat) for about 300 calories.

They can either be cooked from scratch in about 5 minutes, or cooked in bulked ahead of time and reheated during the week.
  • ClaudiaDawn2
    ClaudiaDawn2 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    stacief82 wrote: »
    I tend to eat the same thing for several weeks then switch it up. Currently it is scrambled eggs (Or an omelet if I have meat and veggies to put in it) topped with avocado and salsa. Delicious and quick. I cook the eggs before I leave for work (takes like 5 minutes at most). If I am doing an omelet, I chop the veggies/meat the night before.

I'm like Stacie ... I too tend to eat the same thing for weeks then go on to something new. I always have a bowl of fresh fruit and berries along with a protein. It's the protein that I switch out every couple of weeks. Here are my favorite proteins:

1. Poached egg done in the microwave. Google how to do it. Microwaves vary so it will take you a few tries to figure out what works on yours.

I put a poached egg on half of a toasted Sandwich Thin. With a bowl of fresh fruit, it's only 186 calories. You can also use an English muffin for about 10 or 15 calories more.

My latest poached egg craze is to put on top of a Quinoa Spinach patty. This recipe makes 14 to 18 patties, which can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. This makes a very filling and satisfying breakfast. With a bowl of fresh fruit, it's only 270 calories.

2. Turkey sausage patty. I microwave one patty, cut it in half, and place between 1/2 of a toasted Bagel Thin (1/2 of a Bagel Thin cut in half) with a slice of reduced fat swiss cheese. This makes a tasty half sandwich. With a bowl of fresh fruit, it's only 275 calories.

3. Turkey or chicken bacon. I'll microwave 2 slices of either turkey or chicken bacon and place one slice on each half (of a half of a) toasted Bagel Thin and top with a slice of reduced fat cheese. This makes 2 open faced sandwiches. With a bowl of fresh fruit, it's only 300 calories.

4. Egg muffins. Can make them with reduced or fat free cheese, turkey sausage & mushrooms; or cheese & spinach; or ham & cheese; or crab & cheese. These can be frozen and reheated but I found they lose some of their flavor. Fresh is best.