Did i join gym too early?

Options
Hi all.

I am currently STUCK between 180 and 185.
I have lost 50 lbs over the last 10 months with just calorie counting and am at a place where i now feel comfortable excercising more frequently.
I started going to the gym 2 weeks ago.
I went 6 days last week, and 5 this week.
30 min cardio, 30 min strength training.
And my scale just wont budge. Everyone tells me its cus im gaining muscle now and not to worry about my weight. But now im wondering if i should have focused on getting to my goal weight before adding on the muscle!? Cus i dont want to be this weight, especially higher than this.

How long does it take to normally start seeing results on the scale when your new to working out?

Replies

• Ashjvb
    Ashjvb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ashjvb wrote: »
    Hi all.

I have lost 50 lbs over the last 10 months with just calorie counting and am at a place where i now feel comfortable excercising more frequently.
    And my scale just wont budge. Everyone tells me its cus im gaining muscle now and not to worry about my weight. But now im wondering if i should have focused on getting to my goal weight before adding on the muscle!? Cus i dont want to be this weight, especially higher than this.

How long does it take to normally start seeing results on the scale when your new to working out?

You're not gaining muscle, certainly not at a rate that would exceed fat loss...building muscle is very slow and takes a long time and for the most part requires a calorie deficit.

New exercise causes inflammation and you hold onto water in order to repair tissue that has been broken down with exercise.

Thank you. So if i drink more water can thar help with that? Or is it more of a wait it out game?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

You're not gaining muscle, certainly not at a rate that would exceed fat loss...building muscle is very slow and takes a long time and for the most part requires a calorie deficit.

New exercise causes inflammation and you hold onto water in order to repair tissue that has been broken down with exercise.

Thank you. So if i drink more water can thar help with that? Or is it more of a wait it out game?

a little more water never harmed anyone. But ya just wait it out and keep it up
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Did you mean requires a surplus?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "wait it out" crowd. FWIW, when I started lifting I went up 3 lbs the first month, down 3 lbs the next, and then started back down again. However, my look visibly improved even during the first two up/down months.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

Did you mean requires a surplus?

yes
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    You'll hold onto some water weight (for muscle repair) when you increase your workout routine (it isn't fat, but it isn't muscle either - muscle gain is sadly very slow (even though strength gain is quick)). The water weight can be up to a few pounds.

What it does is hide your continuing fat loss from you temporarily. If you'd previously been losing a pound a week, give it a month(ish) for your fat loss to outpace the water weight gain. (The water weight won't keep growing.)

There is no such thing as starting exercise too soon. It will help you preserve existing muscle while you lose fat. (Without exercise, we tend to lose more lean tissue, including muscle, alongside the fat, as we lose weight. That would be a bad thing.) Exercise will also let you eat more while losing at the same rate, which makes weight loss more happily sustainable for most of us.

Keep working out. With patience, you'll start seeing you fat loss show up on the scale again.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Both. More water and wait it out.

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    ^This^

Its really never too early to start a workout plan to be honest. You may not see the results of your efforts right away (other than some added weight loss), but as you shed more and more pounds, you'll have some muscle tone and definition to show underneath which is very cool!

When you start a new workout plan your body will hold onto water to help with muscle repair for the first few weeks until it gets used to what you are doing, so the scale will not always give you the love you are expecting.

Not that I am a trainer or anything, but just a piece of personal observation and advice, for me (and I'm just speaking about my own experiences) when I first started losing and working out I over did it with the training and ended up hurting myself. I found that if I alternated my strength and cardio days I was in a much better place and had much better gains/results. So say Monday was weights, Tuesday cardio, Wednesday weights, Thursday cardio, etc., and then always took one rest day. When I tried to do the every day thing, even if I was doing upper body one day and lower the next and then doing cardio every day it was overkill and my body was like, "Hello? WTF? Can we pick a lane here? Well if you're not going to do it I will... (ENGAGE KNEE PAIN AND INJURY HERE). That'll slow you down you dumb *kitten*..."

Are you using a regiment or prescribed workout plan that you are following or making it up as you go? That'll have a HUGE impact on your results/performance.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I started weight training 2.5 weeks ago. My SW two months ago was 204 started weights at 187 I am down to 182 as of yesterday. I do cardio 2x a week weights 2x a week and remain in a calorie deficit. I am getting stronger and have more endurance and every day I get better. Keep lifting.

I have also lost over 3 inches in my hips nearly 2 inches in my waist and chest. I know everyone says you can't gain muscle when in a deficit but I've gained a half inch in my quads.

Edit: when I started 2 months ago I started with Insanity.
  • Ashjvb
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    ^This^

Its really never too early to start a workout plan to be honest. You may not see the results of your efforts right away (other than some added weight loss), but as you shed more and more pounds, you'll have some muscle tone and definition to show underneath which is very cool!

When you start a new workout plan your body will hold onto water to help with muscle repair for the first few weeks until it gets used to what you are doing, so the scale will not always give you the love you are expecting.

Not that I am a trainer or anything, but just a piece of personal observation and advice, for me (and I'm just speaking about my own experiences) when I first started losing and working out I over did it with the training and ended up hurting myself. I found that if I alternated my strength and cardio days I was in a much better place and had much better gains/results. So say Monday was weights, Tuesday cardio, Wednesday weights, Thursday cardio, etc., and then always took one rest day. When I tried to do the every day thing, even if I was doing upper body one day and lower the next and then doing cardio every day it was overkill and my body was like, "Hello? WTF? Can we pick a lane here? Well if you're not going to do it I will... (ENGAGE KNEE PAIN AND INJURY HERE). That'll slow you down you dumb *kitten*..."

Are you using a regiment or prescribed workout plan that you are following or making it up as you go? That'll have a HUGE impact on your results/performance.

So i think i need to follow suit and slow down. Cus iv been doing cardio 6x a week and strength training 5. With sunday being my rest day.
    And im just making it up as i go, following different workouts from pinterest. My gym has a program called Healthy Transformations that im considering joining, but not sure if its worth it. They give u a customized workout plan that theyll constantly be changing and upgrading for you as you improve over the entire year. With unlimited free body composition measuring along with a recipe book. All for $250.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    ^This^

So i think i need to follow suit and slow down. Cus iv been doing cardio 6x a week and strength training 5. With sunday being my rest day.
    And im just making it up as i go, following different workouts from pinterest. My gym has a program called Healthy Transformations that im considering joining, but not sure if its worth it. They give u a customized workout plan that theyll constantly be changing and upgrading for you as you improve over the entire year. With unlimited free body composition measuring along with a recipe book. All for $250.

If you'd like to do a proper program without paying $250, you might want to read this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Many people here have been very successful with these programs, which include beginner bodyweight programs that require little/no equipment, as well as programs with weights.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ^This^

How often do you have to pay the $250? Customized workout plan is fine (not necessary, but not a waste of money if you want to spend it there). Body composition measuring is a nice metric to have (I assume it's the stand-on kind, which isn't accurate but you can use it as a reference point if you want to). If it's $250 for 6 months, then great. If it's $250/month... bah. Don't do that. That's too much. I spend $100/month on my powerlifting coach, and can pay $50-75 for DEXA scans (which I don't think it's helpful to have more than once a month, or even every quarter).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I started weight training 2.5 weeks ago. My SW two months ago was 204 started weights at 187 I am down to 182 as of yesterday. I do cardio 2x a week weights 2x a week and remain in a calorie deficit. I am getting stronger and have more endurance and every day I get better. Keep lifting.

I have also lost over 3 inches in my hips nearly 2 inches in my waist and chest. I know everyone says you can't gain muscle when in a deficit but I've gained a half inch in my quads.

True beginners to weight training may gain a small amount of new muscle tissue with a new (good) program, even in a calorie deficit, especially if obese to start.

Under the very best conditions - calorie surplus, excellent progressive program with good compliance, relative youth, plenty of protein - a woman might gain around a pound of muscle mass in a month, or a man two pounds, without using dangerous/illegal drugs.

People can get much stronger without adding muscle tissue, through better recruitment and utilization of the existing muscle fibers. The muscles will also get bigger - this goes along with the exercise-related water weight gain, from extra fluid held in the muscle tissue. Things also seem to "tighten up".

Sounds like you're doing an excellent job remodeling your body and health: Good show!
  • Ashjvb
    Options
    ^This^

How often do you have to pay the $250? Customized workout plan is fine (not necessary, but not a waste of money if you want to spend it there). Body composition measuring is a nice metric to have (I assume it's the stand-on kind, which isn't accurate but you can use it as a reference point if you want to). If it's $250 for 6 months, then great. If it's $250/month... bah. Don't do that. That's too much. I spend $100/month on my powerlifting coach, and can pay $50-75 for DEXA scans (which I don't think it's helpful to have more than once a month, or even every quarter).

The $250 is a one time fee for the entire year. And yes it is the stand on kind. Which costs $30 each use if ur not on the program. So now im thinking it does sound good.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

True beginners to weight training may gain a small amount of new muscle tissue with a new (good) program, even in a calorie deficit, especially if obese to start.

Under the very best conditions - calorie surplus, excellent progressive program with good compliance, relative youth, plenty of protein - a woman might gain around a pound of muscle mass in a month, or a man two pounds, without using dangerous/illegal drugs.

People can get much stronger without adding muscle tissue, through better recruitment and utilization of the existing muscle fibers. The muscles will also get bigger - this goes along with the exercise-related water weight gain, from extra fluid held in the muscle tissue. Things also seem to "tighten up".

Sounds like you're doing an excellent job remodeling your body and health: Good show!

I really like my trainer so far. He seems knowledgeable. After awhile we are going to increase weight training days to 3 days a week. Cardio will probably stay the same at 2 days a week. I'm really enjoying how much my body is changing.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever gained weight while they were at the gym (except that fat kid behind the desk eating a Whopper with cheese). You gain weight in the kitchen. Exercise stress may cause fluid shifting. Unless you are lifting like a pro it is highly unlikely that your new muscle mass will be a big factor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Another vote for 'new exercise program water weight' - my own scale went up 7 pounds when I started working out again. Took a few weeks to come off.

Be patient - you should be in for a nice weight loss 'whoosh' :)