Can't understand it

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    For women in particular, it's best to assess your weight on similar days of your cycle. A 2 week trend can be pretty misleading. I usually weigh 2 or so pounds more if I weight myself on the first day of my period then 2 weeks later (which is around ovulation for me). My month to month loss is pretty consistent.

Fitbit usually over-estimates for me, especially the heart rate kind. The one with a heart rate monitor gives me really inflated calories because my resting heart rate is low at night but it shoots up during the day due to coffee and such.

I weigh every day and use a weight trending app

I do too, and my trend looks as if it's creeping up ovulation and upward. I like to look at my monthly trend.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    For women in particular, it's best to assess your weight on similar days of your cycle. A 2 week trend can be pretty misleading. I usually weigh 2 or so pounds more if I weight myself on the first day of my period then 2 weeks later (which is around ovulation for me). My month to month loss is pretty consistent.

Fitbit usually over-estimates for me, especially the heart rate kind. The one with a heart rate monitor gives me really inflated calories because my resting heart rate is low at night but it shoots up during the day due to coffee and such.

I do too, and my trend looks as if it's creeping up ovulation and upward. I like to look at my monthly trend.

I've not had any upward trend except Easter bank holiday when I went away and didn't log for 4 days and ate what I want put on 3lbs
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you do any type of resistance training?
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I've not had any upward trend except Easter bank holiday when I went away and didn't log for 4 days and ate what I want put on 3lbs

3lbs will just be water weight...
  • angelsja
    Options
    LW3380 wrote: »

No it really wasn't the scale went up by about 6lb but I actually put on 3lb took me a month to get back to pre Easter weight
  • angelsja
    Options

I'm doing T25 ATM then plan on doing insanity after my sister's birthday in June but usually I follow the 30 days hasfit calendar online which changes every month and has cardio strength training weights etc. Why do you ask
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I'm doing T25 ATM then plan on doing insanity after my sister's birthday in June but usually I follow the 30 days hasfit calendar online which changes every month and has cardio strength training weights etc. Why do you ask

Low muscle % can make you burn less than the averages for weight and height.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

No it really wasn't the scale went up by about 6lb but I actually put on 3lb took me a month to get back to pre Easter weight

But you said you put on 3lbs not 6lbs? I'm confused...
  • angelsja
    Options

The scale said I put on 6lb but overall I only put on 3lb of fat half of it was water weight
  • angelsja
    Options

The scale said I put on 6lb but overall I only put on 3lb of fat half of it was water weight

But how do you know that??

From Libra most of it disappeared quickly (water weight) then my trend went up by a total of 3lb but it doesn't matter now I only received commented on here to let the person who suggested changing my height know that I did it and it made no difference as I said further up I'm much happier now I have seen my total monthly losses and now I know my Fitbit is out by 270 per day so it won't bother me as much now I know.
  • angelsja
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I know you don’t want people bringing up your other threads but your thought process in creating these overanalytical, majoring in the minors, unrealistic expectations, looking for one precise number to eat that will provide you the exact, consistent rate of loss you desire shows a pattern of red flag behavior about weight loss.

You really need to understand and learn to accept that CICO is a directionally correct general number and no matter how hard you try or how much analysis you put into this, your weight is not something that is always going to respond immediately, directly and predictably from your actions.

Continuing to fixate on the minutiae, especially when striving for results that are not aligned with your overall situation, is going to continue to cause you stress and anxiety. You are young and you really need to figure out how to manage the parts that you can control and understand that there will always be variables and anomalies outside of your control - but that for the long term you are seeing the scale moving in the right direction.

Good luck.

If you've never had an upward trend that probably means that your deficit continues to be quite large.

As someone who has looked at their Fitbit data extremely carefully I caution you that even the percentage error of Fitbit vis a vis your food logging (because your food logging has as much to do with your results as your Fitbit expenditure estimate) may be fairly stable when looked at on a year to year basis.

But if you look at it even on a month to month basis there can exist considerable variation. And your actual Caloric amount will change even more than your percentage since TDEE also varies over time.

The last three years my yearly Fitbit error was -3.14%, -4.53% and -3.63%

The last -3.63% "hides" a monthly range of -10.19% to +3.30%

You really do need to internalise what @WinoGelato wrote above.

There have been days where it's gone up but not long enough to cause a upward trend I've lost 22lbs this year that's average 1.2lb a week I don't think that's too big a deficit got myself weighed at the chemist today and I'm the same as I was this time last year just 1lb of a "healthy" BMI so I'm very happy today
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I know you don’t want people bringing up your other threads but your thought process in creating these overanalytical, majoring in the minors, unrealistic expectations, looking for one precise number to eat that will provide you the exact, consistent rate of loss you desire shows a pattern of red flag behavior about weight loss.

You really need to understand and learn to accept that CICO is a directionally correct general number and no matter how hard you try or how much analysis you put into this, your weight is not something that is always going to respond immediately, directly and predictably from your actions.

Continuing to fixate on the minutiae, especially when striving for results that are not aligned with your overall situation, is going to continue to cause you stress and anxiety. You are young and you really need to figure out how to manage the parts that you can control and understand that there will always be variables and anomalies outside of your control - but that for the long term you are seeing the scale moving in the right direction.

Good luck.

If you've never had an upward trend that probably means that your deficit continues to be quite large.

As someone who has looked at their Fitbit data extremely carefully I caution you that even the percentage error of Fitbit vis a vis your food logging (because your food logging has as much to do with your results as your Fitbit expenditure estimate) may be fairly stable when looked at on a year to year basis.

But if you look at it even on a month to month basis there can exist considerable variation. And your actual Caloric amount will change even more than your percentage since TDEE also varies over time.

There have been days where it's gone up but not long enough to cause a upward trend I've lost 22lbs this year that's average 1.2lb a week I don't think that's too big a deficit got myself weighed at the chemist today and I'm the same as I was this time last year just 1lb of a "healthy" BMI so I'm very happy today

BMI is just a tool, useless in most respects, IMHO. The real question is, how do you feel? Do you feel you are at a weight you can maintain? How is your health?
  • angelsja
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Good luck.

BMI is just a tool, useless in most respects, IMHO. The real question is, how do you feel? Do you feel you are at a weight you can maintain? How is your health?

I agree but it's not just that I'm happy about I'm back to where I was I feel great still got 26lbs I want to lose so I'm not looking at maintaining just yet my health is great
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You can take it as a given that I am using BMI to approximate levels of fat reserves. So the random you who wants to remind me that BMI does not fairly represent you, please adjust the numbers in your mind so that they are more appropriate for you! Thank you!

For anyone below, say a BMI 28 level of fat, 1.2lbs a week is actually quite substantial unless their TDEE is in the 3000 Cal a day + range.

Weighing yourself at the chemist introduces a whole slew of variables, unless you make it to the chemist naked after hitting the washroom and before eating or drinking every morning at about the same time and you can also guarantee that the chemist's scales are calibrated/reset the same every day...

OVER TIME YOU WILL STILL SEE YOUR TREND.

But not, if you get upset at "set-backs" that may well last weeks as your weight reduces, especially with the uncertainties in your measurements. Hence the reference to @WinoGelato 's post above!

You may also want to read Aaron's post about the car with the two tanks and the different fuels! It isn't that bad of an analogy!

Take care.
  • angelsja
    Options
    You can take it as a given that I am using BMI to approximate levels of fat reserves. So the random you who wants to remind me that BMI does not fairly represent you, please adjust the numbers in your mind so that they are more appropriate for you! Thank you!

For anyone below, say a BMI 28 level of fat, 1.2lbs a week is actually quite substantial unless their TDEE is in the 3000 Cal a day + range.

Weighing yourself at the chemist introduces a whole slew of variables, unless you make it to the chemist naked after hitting the washroom and before eating or drinking every morning at about the same time and you can also guarantee that the chemist's scales are calibrated/reset the same every day...

OVER TIME YOU WILL STILL SEE YOUR TREND.

But not, if you get upset at "set-backs" that may well last weeks as your weight reduces, especially with the uncertainties in your measurements. Hence the reference to @WinoGelato 's post above!

You may also want to read Aaron's post about the car with the two tanks and the different fuels! It isn't that bad of an analogy!

Take care.

I only weigh myself once a month at the chemist and I always go before eating/drinking anything in the same clothes. My BMI is 25.1 Fitbit says my average calories burned are between 2300-2500 depending on the day